Quantcast
Sold house, move out condition etiquette? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sold house, move out condition etiquette?

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Default Sold house, move out condition etiquette?

We give possession in a couple weeks. Planned to hire a professional move out cleaning.

Is it expected or standard practice to putty nail holes and touch up paint walls?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Cleaning is a courtesy but I wouldn’t go crazy on the nail holes or paint. Depends on the age of house I guess.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We give possession in a couple weeks. Planned to hire a professional move out cleaning.

Is it expected or standard practice to putty nail holes and touch up paint walls?
    Maybe. Depends what kind of condition the house is in. If your house is beat to shit, the buyer will raise a stink and you’ll wind up doing that anyways.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Puttying up the holes only makes sense if you have enough matching paint to blend them in.

My Ride
    *The First*

I feel the gaping holes like from security panels, TV mounts and thermostats need to be repaired properly.
    Little, chicken shit nail holes aren't a big deal, but a better person will go the extra mile and fix those.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I feel the gaping holes like from security panels, TV mounts and thermostats need to be repaired properly.
    Little, chicken shit nail holes aren't a big deal, but a better person will go the extra mile and fix those.
    I'm the opposite. I'd rather all the little holes be filled in, but would prefer to know where the big gaping ones are. Chances are likely I'm going to put a tv mount in a similar spot, so if there's already a hole there I can use it.

Gloryholes on the other hand, definitely fill those.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Silverado

No idea.. but we sold our townhouse with patches and small holes visible. No plans to paint the place before hand. Assuming the new owners were on the same page

As long as the blacklight doesn’t show anything.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Put it this way. Somebody paid hundreds of thousands for your home. If you paid so much for something, do you want someone to give it to you in questionable condition? Probably not.

So then it comes down to - how much "glossing over" is required. No cleaning is probably a dick move, and repairing to new condition is probably too far. Therefore, your happy medium lies somewhere in between.

Would YOU want nail holes filled? If so, then you can assume the buyer will too. No, you aren't likely legally bound to do so in any way, but then, we're talking etiquette here.

Personally, I've never filled nail holes. But I've touched up peeled paint (I have a kid who sticks things to his walls), made sure the carpets were well cleaned, and made the kitchen and bathrooms spotless. (Nobody wants to touch your piss). IMO, that's enough.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’d say nail/screw holes are not necessary to fix. Legitimate damage should not be immediately apparent from 6ft away, and there should definitely be no new damage since the last viewing. If you bashed up your walls moving out I would fix that. Stuff that was there and apparent when they bought it is solidly buyer beware territory.

The house should be extremely clean though.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Unless stated in the sale conditions, just a proper clean up and the walls are as is.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

I would never expect to have the previous fix things like holes, esp. big ones. These are people that probably don't even hang their toilet paper the proper way.

Whenever we have moved out of anything, rental or sold property, we have always done a thorough cleaning and filled any picture hanging nail holes etc, although I don't think we have ever moved into a place that the people before us did as much moving out.

Not such a big stickler on painting touch ups etc because we have almost always painted in every property we have lived in and always just assumed most people do the same thing.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

We just sold our place on Friday and had professional cleaners come in, but fixed all the major holes e.g. from a baby gate, but left the holes/hooks for paintings, pictures, etc. in case they would reuse that spot as filling/painting looks worse since you're not re-painting the entire wall. Even if you have the same paint or match it perfectly, the sheen will never match and look dumb.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

God no. It's a used house, it's not going to be perfect.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

The assholes we bought our house from just grabbed their stuff and left. The place was filthy, they didn't even bother to wipe out the spilled food/goop in the fridge and there was piss all over the toilets. They had "live love laugh" shit hung on every single wall so tons of nail holes etc. It took us 2 days to clean the house top to bottom including get the carpets cleaned (there was fucking gum ground in), taking down all of the blinds to wash them because they were visibly scummy, and I had to take the garbage disposal apart because they had tried to chew up plastic. Leading up to possession we said we were fine with the small nail holes but they had a bunch of big shit hanging on the wall like electric fireplaces, shitty floating shelves etc that we asked them to fix and they essentially told us to fuck off (or their realtor did). You'd almost think they were renters with how they left the house, especially for it only being 5 years old. There was also some move out damage that we just said fuck it and dealt with ourselves because of how shitty they/their realtor was to deal with.

We were on the opposite side and we cleaned our old house top to bottom including fixing every dent, nail hole etc. We had a few cabinet faces that were buggered up from child locks but they were back ordered so we paid for them and arranged for the delivery to be given to the new owner. Everything was bleached down, I mowed the lawn and did a quick upkeep on the garden for them. I gave the garage a sweep but didn't do any major cleaning in there. We left our house how we would have expected to get our new one because of how bad it pissed us off and we didn't want someone else feeling like that.

In talking to the realtor he said standard practice is leave nail or small screw holes alone, fix anything bigger. Cleaning wise he said that at the very least a clean including wiping down surfaces, cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming up carpets and cupboards is typical. Professional cleaning is not required but appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    The assholes we bought our house from just grabbed their stuff and left. The place was filthy, they didn't even bother to wipe out the spilled food/goop in the fridge and there was piss all over the toilets. They had "live love laugh" shit hung on every single wall so tons of nail holes etc. It took us 2 days to clean the house top to bottom including get the carpets cleaned (there was fucking gum ground in), taking down all of the blinds to wash them because they were visibly scummy, and I had to take the garbage disposal apart because they had tried to chew up plastic. Leading up to possession we said we were fine with the small nail holes but they had a bunch of big shit hanging on the wall like electric fireplaces, shitty floating shelves etc that we asked them to fix and they essentially told us to fuck off (or their realtor did). You'd almost think they were renters with how they left the house, especially for it only being 5 years old. There was also some move out damage that we just said fuck it and dealt with ourselves because of how shitty they/their realtor was to deal with.

We were on the opposite side and we cleaned our old house top to bottom including fixing every dent, nail hole etc. We had a few cabinet faces that were buggered up from child locks but they were back ordered so we paid for them and arranged for the delivery to be given to the new owner. Everything was bleached down, I mowed the lawn and did a quick upkeep on the garden for them. I gave the garage a sweep but didn't do any major cleaning in there. We left our house how we would have expected to get our new one because of how bad it pissed us off and we didn't want someone else feeling like that.

In talking to the realtor he said standard practice is leave nail or small screw holes alone, fix anything bigger. Cleaning wise he said that at the very least a clean including wiping down surfaces, cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming up carpets and cupboards is typical. Professional cleaning is not required but appreciated.
    Well that was very nice of you, but when I moved into our current house we got everything cleaned anyhow because I trust previous owners about as far as I can throw Rachel Notley.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Well that was very nice of you, but when I moved into our current house we got everything cleaned anyhow because I trust previous owners about as far as I can throw Rachel Notley.
    Yea we assumed they would still do that, but at least they would have something relatively clean to start and they wouldn't be wiping up piss or food residue or vacuuming up someone else's hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Yea we assumed they would still do that, but at least they would have something relatively clean to start and they wouldn't be wiping up piss or food residue or vacuuming up someone else's hair.
    A cursory clean would have been nice, yeah.

My Ride
    changes every year

I bought and sold alot of houses, but the last one I bought was the worst. Just like schurchill it was nasty dirty, everything was gross, we even cleaned the fridge for about 3 hours and then sold it for $50.

They even left old broken furniture in there for me to move out for them, pretty sweet. My wife is a clean freak so before we move its pretty much a professional job top to bottom, but filling holes, unless noted in the agreement, they don't get touched, that's a can of worms leading to patches and painting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast