Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Well progress is slow, but decided to post an update regardless. Not much visually going on, but lots of prep happening in the back end.

1. My garage drains have arrived. They were on back order for a while but have finally made it. With these I just need to get them installed at proper height, connect the pipes and backfill the only portion of my floor that is without gravel. That will complete the floor and it will be ready for spray foam more or less, couple more water lines to run but generally speaking the hard part will be done.

2. My siding is coming in tomorrow, assuming they restocked. $14k worth of James Hardie product, as well as various drip edges ect. This includes lap siding, as well as board and batten type. Enough siding for the entire house, except for a single wall, which will be some wooden look statement wall. This is yet to be fully decided on.

3. The roofing guys returned last week and were able to get a little bit done. The entire roof section above the garage is now more or less complete (minus the top cap), and they have moved on to the siding of the other roof section, which should move pretty quick now since it's all basically flat panels one after the other. The front of the house will be a nightmare with all the mini roofs. It's been too cold to work so I don't expect they will be back for a while now, probably into the new year. They did get roofing done far enough where I was able to measure out the plumbing vent stack marked and they drilled it out and caulked it for me. I went out there on Friday and got the pipe poked through and secured for future vent connection on the inside. It's capped off at the moment to prevent snow/rain from entering into the building.

This is how I have the pipe supported on the inside, nice and solid and good to go when plumbing is ready to tie in

Went out last night to grab something from site and decided to take a picture of the pipe after the snow, looking good with plenty of height to stick out past probably any snow storm.

If I am able to get the guys to come out on the 27th (assuming they are working), it looks like it will be a warm week, which I happen to have off, then I can start on siding work. I need the house wrapped with a house wrap, so hopefully those guys are working and are able to come out for a few hours to get it done.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Please add more screws....

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Please add more screws....
    Funny enough, that's actually how you are supposed to do it. These flanges have a soft metal outer ring that is designed to conform to roof profile, so you have to silicon them, and go to town on screws. In most cases these just pop out wherever on a roof as most trades don't care, but since I'm super anal about details, I told him to make sure it's dead center between the ribs as he is putting them up, and the guy did as I requested. Perhaps overkill for a flatter section of the roof, but exactly as described in install manual.

These are just for an idea of what you they are designed to conform to

Siding delivered early this morning. Still missing a pallet of 4'x10' Boards for the Board and Batten side of the house. They were on back-order. Doesn't look like a whole lot for $14k..

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Looks solid

It's toight.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most detailed flange pics of 2022 award goes to @eblend .

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Most detailed flange pics of 2022 award goes to @eblend .
    Thanks, it means a lot to me haha.

Actually these roof penetrations are a major concern for me, so I don't mind you guys busting my balls about them You buy a metal roof for a shit ton of money, last thing you want is to cut holes in it and make it ugly and leaky. My plan is to have all roof penetrations on the back of the house and out of sight, so that from every other angle my roof is nothing but beautiful metal

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Thanks, it means a lot to me haha.

Actually these roof penetrations are a major concern for me, so I don't mind you guys busting my balls about them You buy a metal roof for a shit ton of money, last thing you want is to cut holes in it and make it ugly and leaky. My plan is to have all roof penetrations on the back of the house and out of sight, so that from every other angle my roof is nothing but beautiful metal
    How hail resistant are metal roofs? eg. is yours going to end up looking like a shitty golf-balled hyundai in the wal-mart parking lot after the first hailstorm, or do they hold up better than asphalt shingles?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    How hail resistant are metal roofs? eg. is yours going to end up looking like a shitty golf-balled hyundai in the wal-mart parking lot after the first hailstorm, or do they hold up better than asphalt shingles?
    Hey I know a guy with one of those Hyundais!

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Hey I know a guy with one of those Hyundais!

My Ride

We will find out haha. It's 26 gauge steel. I think the fact that right behind it is wood support underneath the membrane helps it out, vs a car which is basically backed by air. I think it should hold up well. I am sure it will have a few dents, but these roofs are used on commercial building all over the place, and I have never seen one damaged, so don't know.

Here is a little article explaining things from the company who manufactured my roof:

https://www.formasteel.ca/hail-damage/

At any rate, the damage is cosmetic, vs a shingled roof, which actually needs replacing after a good hail storm. This roof should be good for 40 years...hope I can get a few good ones without major noticeable hail dents.

Regarding the house, got my wood delivery today ($1384.98 delivered from Double R Building Supplies) for 50 x 2x6x10, 50 2x4x8 and 100 2x4x10. I needed some wood to build out my soffit area and decided to just order enough for all interior walls remaining to be built. Should be more or less enough, will buy any extra from home depot if I run out. I wild guessed based on number of walls and 24" spacing, and then rounded up to a nice number.

Also yesterday the backordered HardiePanels arrived (the boards in a board and batten design) along with my soffit for all minor overhangs around the house, blackish color (Ironstone). The big overhangs for the front and rear porch are to be determined as I am thinking of going with a wood look there.

My Ride
    V8s

My parents have had theirs for ~12 years, and had multiple hail storms - biggest was golf ball sized - with no damage. They are more resilient than asphalt shingles in every respect.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    My parents have had theirs for ~12 years, and had multiple hail storms - biggest was golf ball sized - with no damage. They are more resilient than asphalt shingles in every respect.
    That's awesome to hear! I hope mine lasts just the same. I had a chat with the guys today and he told me it's a roof for life, so hopefully it is and looks good while at it.

Surprisingly the crew did show up today to wrap my house, at least most of it, so I can proceed with siding next week. They are taking next week off so it was today or next year, so it was nice of them to show up and get it done so I can move forward. It was -24 when the day started and snowing, but they pulled through and were done in about 4.5 hours. There is a boom lift on site from roofers that they tried to start but it wasn't (frozen solid), so they did just the parts they could reach off the ladders, but that's enough for me to do a ton of siding, so no big deal. I won't even get half of it done before they show back onsite to finish it off I am sure. I threw on some 2x4s in a few locations to provide additional holding power against wind, and they gave me 4 rolls of tuck tape to do the vertical seams myself...as it's too cold and it doesn't stick right now...

My Ride

Hi all, little bit of an update. As I had a week off between Christmas and New Years, I started working on prepping for soffit (install of J channel) and other siding that I could do, given that only the bottom part of the house got wrapped. During the week I got all the J-channel installed for the soffit as well as got some trim installed on the house. In total, during the 9 days I had off, I did all the soffit j-channel (including installing backing where necessary to mount the j-channel), installed almost all the building corners, a belly board to separate the roof from the lower level, and all the trim under the roof overhangs. I also completely trimmed out my garage doors (no pics) so that my garage doors can be fully installed sometime next week (or so was told...)

I was ready to trim out all of the windows when a crew showed up unexpectedly a day before Christmas to do the house wrap on the roof peaks, which completely changed my plans on how to proceed. Given that there is a lift truck on site, and I was told that I can use it, I decided to take advantage and get as much stuff down on the roofs as possible, as without a lift truck the process would be impossibly slow and complicated, and pretty dangerous by myself. When doing siding there are a lot of code requirements in terms of drip edges and trims, so that took a long time to get all setup as well, as each trim needs a top drop and a bottom drip. Keep in mind lots of seams need to be caulked still.

Anyways, enough with the details. Here are some pics of the progress. I am having a buddy come out next week to help me with the siding on the front roof sections as it's completely different style than what I have done up to this point.

Most of the outside trim + belly board installed:

Complicated and very sharp angles:

This picture shows the metalwork required. Can see the black J-trim for soffit, and dual drip edge around the belly board.

Trimmed the loft window while the lift truck is here. Notice the 4x drip edges required..

Siding done on the roof section at the rear of the house. This was my first wall and first time doing Hardie Board lap siding, came out good I think.

And started on the next side of the house as well. This is the final roof section in lap style siding, and it's exactly where we sit now. There is a hole for the bathroom vent as well.

This part took FOREVER....the sharp angles involved plus an angle transition from sharp to less sharp...Glad I am past that point. Now it's just moving on up, should move quicker.

All my corners of the house are on the same level and I used lasers to measure everything. Lasers are cool. In this pic all 3 directions are illuminated, but I only cared about the horizontal line and left the rest of the lights on for cool picture.

If all goes well, majority of the roofing siding will be done by end of the weekend...famous last words...The front of the house is all board and batten and applied via large 10x4 foot sheets, so faster coverage but more precision required for the cuts. Should be fun...need two people for sure.
    Last edited by eblend; 01-10-2023 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Well done
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Great work! Looks fantastic so far

Impressive how much work you are able to do yourself!

Congrats and well done.

My Ride

Well, just a small pic dump. Started on board and batten siding, smallest roof section first by myself to get an idea on what is involved, and have a buddy coming out tomorrow to assist me with the bigger roof sections. I did two panels today and moved on to do some soffit. Some pics of the progress:

Board and Batten siding. Just board for now..will cut smaller pieces later from scraps

And did soffit on the longest side of the house

Looks great. Are those hollow box beams/post claddings or solid wood?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by MOB68 View Post
    Looks great. Are those hollow box beams/post claddings or solid wood?
    Solid wood beams

Buddy came out to assist me this weekend with lifting some massive pieces in place. We did all the roofs, so just small corners left on some. All the nails on there will be hidden by battens every 12" OC

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast