Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loft looks good, nice and deep. 70ft?
    72' to be exact.

The well guy came out today. I pulled the pump out myself last night to see wtf is going on, and pump is fine, but I couldn't get it seated into the pitless adapter. I will spare everyone the long story, but well guy mixed up and installed the wrong piece, so the two sections of the pitless adapter were from two different models that are incompatible. Because of this mistake, the pitless adapter was never fully inserted and water was just pumping up and then falling back down the well. Once we figured out the problem we swapped out for the correct piece and I now have water! Guy usually uses same adapters all the time, but due to shortages in everything, he had to order some other types, and guess didn't realize it wasn't seated when he installed it, and he never tested it, as usually it's pretty idiot proof. Anyways, shit happens, I'm just glad it's all resolved now!

My Ride
    *The First*

Geez, I hope you didn't tell him about what you did to his dad... You better carry that secret to your grave.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Geez, I hope you didn't tell him about what you did to his dad... You better carry that secret to your grave.
    Spent 5 fucking hours on this since last night haha, I had many negative thoughts in my head about him at that time haha, ready to do things I would regret, tried everything, the fucking thing wouldn't go...I was like...."this is pretty fucking straight forward....maybe parts are not compatible.." and then I remembered something he asked me once when I was briefly there during the pump install, he said "you haven't seen this part around here have you?"....the part in question is the part that was wrongfully installed...he then said "it's okay, I have another one"....yep, another one being the wrong one. The way these pitless adapters work, is you dig a 10 foot trench, install the one part of it from the outside and connect the line that goes to your house, and the part that slides in is installed at a later date when you ready to get the pump in....so it's easy enough to misplace...but how he didn't realize it wasn't seated the first time around when it was only in like 1/4 of an inch...that I think is just sloppiness and rushing. It also doesn't help that you are looking through a 6" well down 10' and trying to line up two small(ish) parts basically completely by feel.

Image for those who are curious but clueless on wtf I'm talking about

My Ride

Well the build is going, progress is not as visible anymore, but things are moving along.

This week they got all the roof sections finished finally, which were a huge pain in the ass with all of the angles involved, but everything on the roof is done and sheathed.

They also installed the 8x8 fir beams on the front and in the back. Not finalized but you get the idea

And some pictures of the interior framing:

I'm not sure what's next for them, but kind of hoping they start on the roof metal first to get things from getting wet inside when it undoubtedly starts raining sooner than later.

My Ride
    *The First*

Is this all plywood instead of OSB, Playa?!!? Damn!
    Them 8x8's be thic!

My Allah there's a lot of wood in this place! Residential construction codes feel like massive overkill sometimes and then there are other times that they don't. This place looks like whatever the bastard love-child of a fortress and a mansion is.
    A mantress?
    A fortsion?
    Prolly a fortsion because it is costing a fortune!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Is this all plywood instead of OSB, Playa?!!? Damn!
    Them 8x8's be thic!

My Allah there's a lot of wood in this place! Residential construction codes feel like massive overkill sometimes and then there are other times that they don't. This place looks like whatever the bastard love-child of a fortress and a mansion is.
    A mantress?
    A fortsion?
    Prolly a fortsion because it is costing a fortune!
    Yah it's all Plywood, OSB is for peasants..

Actually funny enough, when I originally signed for this place, the walls were supposed to be 3/8" OSB, and roof was supposed to be 7/16" OSB, but at the end of the day, they built it all from 1/2" plywood. I didn't make any specific request or anything, that's just how they built it. The only OSB in the house is the thick ass 1" or whatever stuff that makes the loft floor, everything else is plywood. Don't know why they switched their materials from one to the other, but given that industry switched to OSB because it's cheaper....I will assume that plywood is better I didn't have to pay any extra for their switch.

Yah the 8x8s were also a bit of a surprise, they look better than I anticipated. I knew there were going to be pillars, but I didn't realize there were going to be the horizontal sections either, which I think are a nice touch. Never lived in a place with fancy pillars, so perhaps this is standard. They did ask me which stain I wanted on them, and that's what we chose.

So far, generally speaking, I am pleasantly surprised with some things that are happening with this house. I'm always of the opinion that builders are out there to get you and get the cheapest builder grade crap they can shove into a building, but in this case, seems like I am getting some pretty decent materials. And I don't know if it's costing me a fortune, the base price is readily available for this build online. I did shell out about $50k more on top of the base for upgraded triple pane black windows and doors, and pretty gangster (I think) garage doors, but other than that it's basically MSRP. I did also choose to pay extra $7k i think for the Standing Seam roof upgrade, but that's all. Keep in mind, they are only making the shell, rest will be on me, and the costs will swell exponentially.

EDIT: I lied, there is OSB on the two front roof fronts as well, and the side, so it's like 95% plywood. Didn't even realize until I looked at pictures again.
    Last edited by eblend; 09-18-2022 at 02:54 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

That's a lot of real estate on the roof. Did you look into getting solar panels at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I am very much in love with this whole build.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    That's a lot of real estate on the roof. Did you look into getting solar panels at all?
    I haven't looked at it, but it's planned down the line for the entire 72' side of the house which gets sun all afternoon. This is way down the line, but we will basically try to keep all roof penetrations away from that roof section so it can be lined with panels all the way across. Will cost a fortune but something we will def consider down the line.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

This is my favourite thread
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride

Well, today was a pretty big day. All of the windows got installed! Surprising on how quick they work. Guess it's pretty simple to pickup and set into a frame when it's new construction. Guys said the windows were super heavy, which I guess is expected given that it's all triple pane. Apparently tomorrow they will be doing frost wall insulation at the bottom, but I won't get to see it until it's fully done as I got an 18 hour shift tomorrow, so I will post back again on Thursday most likely.

All the front windows have grates, rear windows just clear. All tripple pane with dual coatings (don't remember anymore which kind haha, think to keep heat in or something, been a long time since I ordered).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That style of construction is so weird to see in progress. Just unhinged seeing open space at the bottom of the wall. I mean, I get it, but my brain refuses to understand. Ya know?

Also sweet house.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Windows are nice progress.

Off topic a bit, but I stumbled across this home design, probably best suited for the country. I'm in love with it, especially the breezeway to the garage.
    https://buildmax.com/bm2500/
    Video walkthrough: https://youtu.be/P22WhBSvty4

There's also a 4 bedroom version, but I don't see where the mechanical room is in the layout. https://buildmax.com/bm2900/

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That style of construction is so weird to see in progress. Just unhinged seeing open space at the bottom of the wall. I mean, I get it, but my brain refuses to understand. Ya know?

Also sweet house.
    It is weird, and basically everyone I explain it too just looks at me like a deer in the headlights, completely clueless haha. Once the frost wall insulation is installed, it will look a lot more closed in, but still good old dirt for the entire floor. Once they are all done, real work begins for me, but the great thing is, I can do the rest within the comfort of an enclosed space, without freezing ass off with the cold winds ect. My plan, which I will need a lot of help from mother nature on, is to get under slab plumbing, under slab sprayfoam, hydronic pipes, and concrete done before the real cold sets in. It's possible I might get the spray started on the walls before I finish the floor, but if all stars line up, I would love to have a pad before winter, so I can work on all other framing/gas/electrical over wintertime. Will be cold as balls without heat in there, but if it's insulated, I might get a cannon to heat the space up for the day I am working in there, so it's not too damn cold. We will see how she goes.

My Ride

Off topic a bit, but I stumbled across this home design, probably best suited for the country. I'm in love with it, especially the breezeway to the garage.

There's also a 4 bedroom version, but I don't see where the mechanical room is in the layout. https://buildmax.com/bm2900/
    Yah pretty neat. It's the same type of construction as my place. Seems like lots of people are doing it, those who want to do DYI a portion or the whole thing, at least on YouTube. It still seems to be unheard of by anyone around these parts. I think one drawback is that people are used to basements, and although possible, would be far more complex. We personally don't need a basement and wanted to do this project DYI after the shell is done, so this style of construction makes sense to us.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

^
    I didn't have a basement when I had a house in Texas for 4 years. Didn't miss it at all, I think because the overall sqft was 3000'+, and had an open feel. I'm sure you won't miss a basement either.

This house is going to be so bad ass. Nice work!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

My only contribution is that there have been a few points in recent history where plywood was cheaper than OSB. I call that a win.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

What material are the window frames? Doesn't look like vinyl, unless it's wrapped vinyl? Where'd you order them from?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

This is sweet! Looks like the mech room for the 4 bdrm is at the back of the walk in pantry. Anyways if you guys get a chance look up stradman on youtube, the house he is building is pretty sweet. Similar to this but just to a bigger scale.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast