Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Another question. Are you putting in a storm cellar/tornado bunker?
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    my new home warranty question was related to the finance side. Eblend touched upon some of the issues a bit... some banks won't fund your build when your not registering with new home warranty.

Was curious what sort of extra hurdles there are to jump through when being your own gc or peace mealing the jobs out like he is from a liability side.

If its as simple as not being able to move for 10 to 15 years seems straight forward.
    The biggest hurdle so far has been on the insurance side. During construction it's a good idea to get course of construction insurance, which is expensive, and requires some history in construction to get. My main broker was unable to find a company to insure me, however I went to a different broker and was able to find a company that accepted my previous DYI experience as sufficient experience to qualify. I actually found another company to do the same, both about $9700 for 18 months term. Not cheap but necessary. This insurance covers all materials and 2M in liability for the duration of the term + few other things.

The other hurdle is basically figuring everything out by yourself, which can be fun and frustrating. So far so good I think.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    I'm curious about the cost of slab construction vs. excavating a basement.
    Technically should be cheaper. The secondary dwelling will have a basement, so stay tuned, eventually I will find out

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    So, are the doors and openings absolutely enormous so that you can efficiently get all the gigantic shit in during the building phase?
    How is that different?
    Not sure exactly what this statement means. How is what different? Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Another question. Are you putting in a storm cellar/tornado bunker?
    Not in the house itself, at least not planned. I was thinking of making a concrete panic room from one of the bedroom closets, basically a concrete shell as walls to serve that purpose, but I'm really not too concerned about it. I am thinking of doing an underground bunker later as a separate thing, but mostly for fun, but could be useful if something does happen.

The second dwelling is also planned to have a basement, so we can escape there if need be.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Looks cool, subscribed! What's the plan for the secondary dwelling's purpose? Guest house?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    *The First*

I meant that if the exterior walls, doors and windows are up before the interior is done, how will you get giant sheets of drywall and other large items into the house to finish the interior?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Looks cool, subscribed! What's the plan for the secondary dwelling's purpose? Guest house?
    I think it was mentioned in another thread, parents or something like that.

My Ride
    V8s

I meant that if the exterior walls, doors and windows are up before the interior is done, how will you get giant sheets of drywall and other large items into the house to finish the interior?
    How exactly do you think houses usually get built? Drywall is 4x8. Unless he's got teeny tiny midget doors, there shouldn't be any issues.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Love the loft, 100% would turn that into a golf sim room.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    The loft is the art room.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Yah, as others have mentioned, it's not really a problem. I can store those large skids in the garage and then bring them into the right room as needed. It's actually easier than a normal house, as a normal house would have walls in the way, I choose when I get those walls up, so I can move things into place before putting walls in if I wanted to. There isn't too much that won't make it through standard doors, or my 4 pane patio door.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Secondary dwelling is for my aging parents for the time being. Long term might turn into a rental unit....and very very long term, a nanny suite to take care of our old asses. We plan to stay here rest of our lives.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I almost kert rep'd you for this. hahaha

This is awesome OP, thank you for making a thread.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post

The other hurdle is basically figuring everything out by yourself, which can be fun and frustrating. So far so good I think.
    Good luck with it all. Looks awesome. Do you think you'll see significant savings by handling most of the contractors/quotes yourself?

From what I ran into a few months back before moving quite a few of the builders I chatted with wanted a cost + type of build due to all the fluctuations happening on costs.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Only 8' ceilings up there, so would only work if you are a midget

Plan for up there is to split it into a closed area for a Japanese room with tatami mats and a kotatsu on one end of the loft, the other end a media room, and in the middle probably just open space for now, not really decided. This will be a future project, for now will just be an empty space.

This is the idea more or less for the Japanese room, for those who aren't familiar with the idea.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    How exactly do you think houses usually get built? Drywall is 4x8. Unless he's got teeny tiny midget doors, there shouldn't be any issues.
    True~ish. Normally the door and window openings are there which are a fair bit larger than the finished doors and windows that I'm picturing being done much earlier on this build. Maybe it is still just openings.
    And the more 12' drywall sheets a guy uses, the cheaper the labour.
    Anyway - I wasn't trying to say it would be insurmountable. Just a small issue that might come about.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Doors and windows always get installed prior to drywall though...
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Doors and windows always get installed prior to drywall though...
    Do they?
    I can picture a zoom boom with a skid of drywall up at a second floor unfinished window and guys inside the house unloading it into the house.
    You're still likely correct that the install won't take place until later, but the bulk materials have been loaded in through the larger openings.

Anyway... I don't want to derail the awesome thread so let's everyone agree that I'm positively 111% wrong and move ahead with our lives.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Do they?
    I can picture a zoom boom with a skid of drywall up at a second floor unfinished window and guys inside the house unloading it into the house.
    You're still likely correct that the install won't take place until later, but the bulk materials have been loaded in through the larger openings.

Anyway... I don't want to derail the awesome thread so let's everyone agree that I'm positively 111% wrong and move ahead with our lives.
    I'm not sure if you're serious about this or not. Even 12' sheets are 4 feet wide. Drywall always gets loaded into a house vertically on the edge so you can fit a ton of drywall through any space as long as you have 4 feet in height. In a place like this a drywall cart could be used to bring it into the house from the garage but most of the time drywall is hand bombed once the skid gets as close as it can. On new builds if the upstairs window isn't tall enough for the sheets to fit through on their edge they will either cut the OSB on the outside of the house or remove a sheet and load it off the boom between studs.

When I did my basement in my previous house they used the boom to bring the skid to my basement window (with the glass removed) then came inside and hand bombed it into every room based on the count I gave them. In my current house they dropped the skid on my drive way then carried it around to the side of the house and hand bombed it through the window.

In his house its about as easy as you could get. Drop the skid in the garage and cart or carry them into every room on the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

Things are starting to pick up. Yesterday the screw pile crew came out to start work on prepping for driving the screws into the ground. They did all their markings and scraped the pad down a bit for the frost wall insulation. Monday the piles go in!

Screw piles, there are 45 in all for the building. The 2L bottle is there for size reference, these suckers are very beefy, much bigger and thicker than I imagined.

This is the pile driver. Attaches to the excavator arm to screw the piles in

Also today river rock was delivered for the septic field. This was only the one truck load, they went and came back again, but I wasn't there for that

Next week things should really start moving. The septic field, electrical line to the house, water line from well to the house, and a ton of different conduits going under the pad. Bigger updates on the way!

My Ride

Well the piles started going into the ground yesterday. They got one side of the house piled. These later get cut off, special brackets welded on, and walls built on.

Any idea how deep these piles go?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast