Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha I did a summer of gravel slinging work (weeping tiles, basements), and did enough of this for a lifetime in that four months.
    #MeToo.
    Stupid walrus-ass bought that fancy automated tool after I quit.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    Having done large-ish projects (full basement reno's) myself, the pro's know exactly how quick and dirty to be to get it done fast and not mess up the process for the next guy. They also know what exactly will show and what will be covered by someone elses work. Most do it with quality in mind but its quality of the end result. Like rebar ties for example. You could have trained monkey's do it and the results would be covered by the pour and not effect the output of a quality slab.

I am exactly like you with the projects but i feel its mostly that i don't know where i can actually be sloppy without it effecting the results.
    This is mostly true, but even still, it's nice to know that my rebar is more or less spaced 18" apart vs 24" here, 12" there haha. It will be covered up for sure, but it could affect the strengths of the pad perhaps. I don't know. The job is super easy indeed, just lots of crawling on my knees and stupid tying work. The part that requires a bit of patience if laying it out initially to be spaced properly...the tying of everything else in between a monkey could do.

I'm about 60% done now with rebar. I would be more...but waiting for a 3/4" pipe and fitting to arrive in the mail to connect the two manifold locations. Was originally gonna run them in the attic, but decided to put it in the slab, so didn't have the stuff I needed on hand. UPS said was supposed to be delivered on Friday but never showed...now they say today...we will see. If I get it today or tomorrow will have my inspection on Thur, get rest of rebar done over the weekend, and then can get the pour scheduled.

My Ride

Well I finished the rebar a few days ago, that was fun...and also passed my hydronics inspection, so I am good to go for concrete, which is happening this Wednesday! Yay! The hydronic lines sure expand with all the heat we have been having lately. In the morning mostly all straight, in the afternoon heat all squigly. The large black pipe running to the remote manifold is what supplies the heat to that area of the house.

Rebar for my lift posts. Just threw it in there and tied it up.

All pressurized and holding 60 psi until after the concrete pour is done. Such a waste of fittings...all of this is throw away after concrete is done (normally, I will get my dad to disassemble it for future reuse..keep him busy)

Will post pictures of concrete soon! Will try to do a time lapse like I did with the spray foam.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What's this part?
    Name:  WTF hydronic linesCapture.PNG
Views: 902
Size:  3.44 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Concrete wednesday!! fuck that must be an exciting milestone. Thanks for keeping this thread up to date.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What's this part?
    Name:  WTF hydronic linesCapture.PNG
Views: 902
Size:  3.44 MB
    These are for slab sensors. My hydronics setup will have 4x zones on the main floor, and the thermostats for slab heating can use floor sensor for their function, or ambient air. With the tube in place, I will be able to drop the sensor and feed it down the line and connect it to the thermostat for that zone. Slab sensor more reliable than ambient air temp, so that's what that is there for. For the most part I tried to place the end of the tube to be where it will be somewhat center of the pad, and at the same time not under any furniture or anything like that to give a more reliable reading.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Oh wicked. Yeah that makes sense.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Well concrete went in yesterday. First truck started arriving about 9AM, and guys finally finished by 9:30PM. I am unsure of the overall result yet, I have to look at it in daytime, but the concrete is in, so soon new adventures will start.

I don't have any decent pictures yet, will post those later, but here is a time lapse of the process. It's cut short due to power issue, but you get the idea.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Looks great from the video. I'm excited for you. Awesome work. Keep it up

My Ride

Well as expected, shit is just crazy busy now that concrete is in, so didn't have much time to update here.

First about the concrete. There are a few issues, mostly a few high spots, but the concrete guy said he will grind them down. A few other things but nothing tragic. For the most part I am satisfied, but it's not really up to my standard, but I am super anal about perfection.

Electrical:

Got my outdoor meter base installed and trench ran for the cable up to the pole:

Had to change the location of my meter base so had to route 45 out from original direction. Took the time to install a conduit for a second line in the future if I ever get a second house build and want it on it's own meter.

Got the main service wire tied in. These wires are so thick and hard to handle, so this took a while to manipulate them into there.

Started framing the place as well

This is how my showers were done. The concrete was recessed in the specific areas to allow for a 0 threshold shower.

That's a quick update. Going to take me a few more weeks to get all the framing done, then will move on to gas and electrical.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Zero threshold, like wheelchair accessible? Nice. Are you making all interior doorways wide enough for wheelchairs too?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Zero threshold, like wheelchair accessible? Nice. Are you making all interior doorways wide enough for wheelchairs too?
    yes indeed. We plan on live in this place till the day we die, hence why it's a bungalow, and making all doors wide just in case for wheelchair accessibility in the future. The shower recess wasn't done with wheelchair in mind, but it's a side benefit. We like the look of no-step, so that's why we decided to do it. When you build your own house, you can make adjustments on the fly, without needing a change order

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Extremely excellent I highly approve.

Check with wife to ok change orders?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Check with wife to ok change orders?
    most of the time no actually haha. I just do what I want. She doesn't care if we have standard 80" high doors, I think they look too short for a 10' ceiling, so making all my internal openings for a 96" door instead. She cares about the kitchen and the bathroom tub/shower for example, but rest is entirely up to me basically. Some finishing details she will be involved with, rest she doesn't care/know about.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

loving the process and updates

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    yes indeed. We plan on live in this place till the day we die, hence why it's a bungalow, and making all doors wide just in case for wheelchair accessibility in the future. The shower recess wasn't done with wheelchair in mind, but it's a side benefit. We like the look of no-step, so that's why we decided to do it. When you build your own house, you can make adjustments on the fly, without needing a change order
    The lack of basement makes sense now!

My Ride
    *The First*

What's in the box?
    Name:  Screenshot_20230517_201525_Chrome.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  632.3 KB

Oh...

Name:  Screenshot_20230517_201852_Firefox.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  734.1 KB

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    What's in the box?
    Name:  Screenshot_20230517_201525_Chrome.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  632.3 KB

Oh...

Name:  Screenshot_20230517_201852_Firefox.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  734.1 KB
    Close. It's for the P-Trap, which gets installed after and then the box gets filled with gravel or concrete.

My Ride

Not much of an update, but making progress on the walls. I just got the master bathroom to finish, and the kitchen/pantry/guest bathroom area in terms of framing of actual walls, and then bunch of blocking for things.

My new office. In the picture looks kind of small, but it feels rather large at about 13x13'

Started on garage separation wall. It's much more done than this, it's an older pic. Also can see in the back the wall separating the master bedroom area, which is where I am currently working on.

I also got the electrical panel installed, mostly because I needed to frame around that area and getting the cable moved into position with the wall in place would have been nearly impossible. It's a huge bitch (300 MCM).

And when I was over there on the weekend I was fearing hail, so I moved my car under the rear patio overhang. I could technically turn that into a 3 car garage, it's that long

Won't be any fun updates for a while. I am in the process of figuring out all the special things I want to implement, like a bathroom tv for the tub room, a costco door, and some other things that require special framing, and continue framing the rest of the house. There are 4 pocket doors in this house, which I have never done, so it's a bit of a learning curve there to install the frames and all that. Also decided to install a wood burning stove, so need to apply for another permit. Fun times all around, so busy.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast