Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 23 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    Has wheels

Curious if your priced out / compared building ICF? I've been following along since the start of the thread but don't recall.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curious if your priced out / compared building ICF? I've been following along since the start of the thread but don't recall.
    Building a house this big in icf would be very very (very) expensive.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    I haven't, mostly because I was set on screwpile design. I did shot around for different Pole Barn type builders, but settled with Integrity Post Structures because it was the easiest process (which was still unnecessary hard..). I did research into these things and have looked at ICF type building ect, but at the end of the day, I went with what would be easiest for a DYI.

Little Update:

The foam is done! Took him 8 days to do the work, he finished last Friday about noon. He is back this morning to finish cleanup. Foam is a wonderful thing, but it sticks to EVERYTHING! In the garage he lined the entire floor with tarps to protect it from droplets since it will be exposed/epoxied in the future, but rest of the house, the floor is covered with micro droplets. He did ask what floor I was planning on, so he decides if it should be covered or not. These micro droplets end up everywhere, so anything you don't want them on, cover it up. He does cover all windows and doors fully. Part of cleanup is walking around and scraping the entire floor of these drops, but it won't get rid of all of them. They don't matter if you are putting on some floor covering, but figure I mention it.

Here are the pictures of the finished product (as if there aren't enough foam pictures here already!)

Aside from that, I finished the final wall in the utility room, all drywalled and painted in there, it's the first nearly complete room in the house The electrical panel is looking slick recessed. Below the panel is an access panel to all my conduits for future stuff.

I also set the loft shower and the dog wash shower. For the loft, I applied RedGuard, which is a liquid applied waterproofing membrane, mostly as an extra safeguard to prevent subfloor rot from moisture. I wanted it to extend outside the shower a bit so that when you come out and may still be dripping some water, it will be kept away from the wood. I bought a big ass bucket to do all custom showers downstairs, so used a bit on the floor here. There will be more of it on the walls here as well once those are up. After RedGuard, I mixed a few bags of mortar mix as the shower bed, and set the acrylic shower pan in place. I used left-over window flashing to seal the gap between the shower flanges and the wall. Saw a pro do this, and thought it was a great idea. Usually that gap is simply siliconed in. Waterproof showerboard will go over that flashing to create a shingle effect for water, before it all gets tiled over.

That's all for now. Just finishing up final things in the walls with blocking ect, and then it's on to drywall. I think there will be a gap of in-activity for a little bit while I wait for drywaller availability.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Building a house this big in icf would be very very (very) expensive.
    I know it's expensive, but not sure how expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    I haven't, mostly because I was set on screwpile design. I did shot around for different Pole Barn type builders, but settled with Integrity Post Structures because it was the easiest process (which was still unnecessary hard..). I did research into these things and have looked at ICF type building ect, but at the end of the day, I went with what would be easiest for a DYI.
    That makes sense. Thought to ask based off of what you shared in foam cost.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23