Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Switched gears a little bit this weekend, and decided to do something different. At the end of the day it all needs to be done, so might as well do something a bit more fun than just electrical.

First up, the chimney install for my wood burning stove:

Find the center of the pipe, and cut a hole

Test fit the support box extension to make sure she fits well into the plywood hole:

Mark out the rough size of the pipe and drill through so that it can be cut in from the top

Hole in my roof!

Prep the support box + extension. There is the outer and inner insulated portion for the support box, which needed to be cut at an angle to follow the slope of the roof:

Look down the support box

The chimney pipe. This is a 36 and a 48" sections joined together. It's upside down in the shot. The black portion on top will protrude through the bottom of the support box and later mated with stove pipe. This isn't even the full length yet...another 48" has to be added later...

Support box installed to the point where I can lower the pipe:

Pipe lowered

Unfortunately, the center of the pipe in the room didn't line up exactly with the roof panel, but for the best seal, I had to make sure the flashing was fully on the flat surface, so it's stretched a bit to one side, but within it's limits, so no issue there. 1.5" is all I needed for this to be perfectly centered, but such is construction. I put on the cap temporary. In the future I will still need to add 48" more inches of pipe and a roof brace using special metal roof, non-penetrative brackets. I don't have the brackets yet, so for now it's capped off to prevent rain, and rest can be done easily and quickly when brackets arrive. I wish I could leave it at this height...but I can't by code, as it has to be 2 feet taller than anything within 10' of the pipe, and due to the roof proximity, I have to go up high still to meet code.

And final result for the box on the inside. The only part protruding into the room will the the bottom section. Plywood installed at the top around the box as a spray-foam buffer

And another item I did this weekend was to build this kitchen island pony wall. It's sole purpose in life is to hide piping and allow for running of electrical plugs, as well as to provide a solid point for attaching cabinets to the island. The island will be just over 10ft long.

HVAC is starting Tuesday or Wednesday this week! After that things will really kick into high gear!
    Last edited by eblend; 07-24-2023 at 12:18 AM.

My Ride

Well HVAC people went awol....apparently some personal problems or something...ducts delivered, scaffolding setup...but nothing since...lame.

Anyways, I am not sitting idle and have been running bathroom fan and kitchen ducting. I chose to do this part myself instead of having HVAC people do it, because I was very particular on how I wanted this done. This will be by far the hardest two vents to execute on, longest runs and tightest space. Because of the metal roof, I really didn't want to put any extra holes into it, so all my venting is out of the soffits or side (except for main plumbing stack and chimney for wood stove). This took me basically two days....

Location for the two vents. There is a plywood backing and on top I put on some roof wrap...mostly to keep the moisture under control a bit. Had that stuff laying around from when roof was done, so decided to use it.

End result

The next two pictures are how I do duct sealing....vs how it's done by the pros in the construction next-door..

Mine:

"Pros":

I also converted some framing from underneath the stairs to open it up for a future "door" of some kind, so that I can store stuff under the stairs. I don't know what kind of door I should have here, so looking for suggestions..

Before:

After:

That's all for now. Lots of plumbing parts just arrived today, so once I am done with all the ducting, I will move on to plumbing.

My Ride

Well installed one of the pieces I was waiting on for a while, a new manifold cabinet. This is to service the remote manifold for hydronic heat. Don't have the manifold yet, but got the cabinet installed so I can get the rest of the framing around it done ect. Trying to post some variety of things I am working on, it's all happening in parallel really, but variety is good, keeps me sane, as it gets rather tiresome working on same thing all the time.

End result. I just put on the lid for fun, it's been removed to safe storage until all the drywall is done

My Ride

Well, the HVAC guy went MIA......ffs.....the HVAC company can't get in touch with their sub-contractor, he isn't responding, so god knows how long this will cause a delay for me. Fking stupid. Contractors are the worst. I don't care what anyone says, these people don't give two fucks about customer service. I don't know how these people live with themselves.

Anyways, I have been busy doing plumbing and some more electrical stuff in the mean time. Yesterday was an interesting day. ATCO was supposed to be installing my gas line...all equipment was there on time, everyone arrived, things were looking good, unfortunately, the sub-contractor they use for utility locates....didn't do the locates in the entire dig zone....so they couldn't actually run the line to the house....after two months of waiting...they got owned by the company they work with....sounds familiar.

A few things did happen. They were able to hydrovac the gas line to expose it for actual tie-in, and they were able to give me the bracket that needs to be attached to the home, so I could install it all nicely and take my time. Normally these type of brackets get attached to the foundation concrete, but because my house doesn't have that, it's being attached to the side of the house directly, which I already sided (a bit of a mistake on my side). At any rate, I was able to buy a couple aluminum wedges (used for leaf springs on raised trucks apparently...) and get them trimmed down to match the bracket size. The wedge angle was perfect to ensure that the bracket sits level vertically. I then used a few large screws to screw it into the house, which goes right into a 2x8 on the back. Think it came out looking pretty good. My fear was them installing it like contractors do....quick and 0 fks given, so it was nice that they let me do it. Great group of guys, had a good chat with them.

Here is the hydro excavated gas line on my property, about 250ft away from the house

This is the bracket with the wedges all trimmed and glued on

And the end result:

Since they couldn't install gas line, and I already had the day off, I decided to take advantage and go and get the needed piping to finish my plumbing. Right now it's just basically the vent pipes that are needed. I also decided to pickup the perforated PVC pipe for yard drainage, as I want to create a french drain along one side and the rear of the house to channel water away from it as much as possible.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

French drains are good things. I like.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Thats a brilliant setup with your trailer gate to carry longer material. I am going to steal that idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Thats a brilliant setup with your trailer gate to carry longer material. I am going to steal that idea.
    Just be careful with the load. I have once loaded it up with many things...and she starts to swing at over 80km/h....uneven load distribution. I just take it easy and front load if I have to have lots of stuff in it. This was the most I even brought in one go. Can't really see from the pics, but it's 2x 20ft ladders, a box blade for the tractor, 6000 ft of pex tubing and a plate compactor in there as well. Stupid trailer is 4x8....but you can't fit 4x8 material into it, as it's just a few inches short, so I had to improvise.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    ...I was able to buy a couple aluminum wedges (used for leaf springs on raised trucks apparently...) and get them trimmed down to match the bracket size.
    @eblend are you able to share where you bought these shims?

I've got a need to mount a hose reel on my hardieboard and I think this was a really elegant way to do it.

Presumably you weren't able to hit studs with all your fasteners, so if you have any advice on locating those lag bolts, or sealing these penetrations, I'd welcome it.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    @eblend are you able to share where you bought these shims?

I've got a need to mount a hose reel on my hardieboard and I think this was a really elegant way to do it.

Presumably you weren't able to hit studs with all your fasteners, so if you have any advice on locating those lag bolts, or sealing these penetrations, I'd welcome it.
    Sure, bought them here:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rancho-RS8125-..._grid_rp_0_6_i

The price fluctuates all the time, right now listed as $20.56.....I bought mine at $32 cuz I needed them...first time I saw them they were $19.80....but I didn't buy until following day and price went up....and then down again haha. Kind of felt owned, but still. Basically about 20 bucks. These are 2.5 degree angle (which is what I get with my 7" reveal on Hardie), but they also make for different angles.

In my case, there is a 2x8 inside the house horizontally exactly in that location, so mine went directly into wood. For sealing, I just did a bunch of caulk to be honest, between shims and bracket, between bracket and hardie, and a ton into the screw holes. Not really sure of any better way. I am thinking of buying some bolt caps to cover up the bolts and the seam between the bolt and the washer.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

They are pinion angle shims if you want to look up the specifics. They come in varying degrees.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    They are pinion angle shims if you want to look up the specifics. They come in varying degrees.
    For future reference, where the hell do you find these locally? I tried looking in 3 truck accessory stores.....and they all looked at me like I was an idiot. Seems like all these truck shops do is sell huge wheels and tires.....and bunch of lights and shit....whatever to make up for the small penis syndrome, but not actual technical parts

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    For future reference, where the hell do you find these locally? I tried looking in 3 truck accessory stores.....and they all looked at me like I was an idiot. Seems like all these truck shops do is sell huge wheels and tires.....and bunch of lights and shit....whatever to make up for the small penis syndrome, but not actual technical parts
    Trailer shops.. 4x4 shops. Truck accessory shops that specialize in lift kits like Raven should know.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Trailer shops.. 4x4 shops. Truck accessory shops that specialize in lift kits like Raven should know.
    Cool thanks. I tried Grizzly Trucks and The Truck Outfitters, before getting a flat at the Truck Outfitters parking area.....and abandoning my quest to find a local source. Never had anything so big in my tire...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Nice hitch pin someone lost.

My Ride

Well got a few things going on later this week/next week. Appears like my HVAC company has found someone else to start on my HVAC, and they will be coming out Friday and then first 3 days of next week to get a bunch of stuff done, so that I can build my walls and run my own crap. Sounds like they have to pull their own people as they sub disappeared, so hopefully they will do a better job still. I also got a call from ATCO today and the service locates issue has been resolved so they will be running the pipe on 22nd. I took the whole week off and will be working on the house during that time.

In the mean time, over last week, I finished majority of my black ABS piping. Majority of it was just running the vents up to the main went stack and doing the drain piping for all location. Piping is like lego, it's actually very satisfying and relatively quick, so I enjoyed this part a lot. I will try to narrate each picture so that it kind of makes sense of what is going on in each.

We will start with the most basic one, and the one that most people will be surprised about. This is the kitchen island drain. The drain hole itself is covered with some yellow tape, but the main point of this is the part going up and straight down. This is how island venting is done, when it's done properly. The idea here is that the air will be able to come in/out the right side of this structure, go under the floor, and then up into the wall and join the rest of the venting system. Normally this isn't really done anymore, as code allows for what is called a AAV, or an Air Admittance Valve, which is a small diaphragmed device which allows air to enter, but doesn't allow air to exit. There is nothing wrong with them exactly, my current home has it as do most homes with island kitchens (I believe..)..but because the diaphragm is a moving device, it can actually break down over time. Doing it this way is more troublesome but I believe it's more reliable long term.

Next up is the laundry. This is roughed in for a stacking washer/dryer unit, and a laundry sink. The loop on the left is for venting of the laundry sink. Without this loop suds can back-up into the sink (or so I have been told by my plumbing friend). I don't fully understand it but here it is

This is the plumbing for the upstairs bathroom. There will be a shower, a toilet and a sink in this loft. The ceiling here was dropped to accommodate the pipes and will match the drop in the hallway, where most of HVAC main trunks will run.

Plumbing for a dual vanity

Rest is all just venting. If anyone has any specific questions about any specific photo, fire away. The general idea is that all of these pipes connect together and eventually connect into the main stack, which is the thicker 3" pipe that eventually penetrates the roof and goes out. The first picture will be where majority of the different runs terminate into the 3" pipe and out through the roof, and rest is just 2" pipes gathering together all venting points. I finished tying up the pipes into the main roof penetration today....it was about +47 degrees up in that part of the roof....sweating like mad.

That's all for now. Got a busy week at work so won't be back there until late in the week, and not sure what I will work on next yet, but perhaps it's time to start preparing for running the gas lines!

My Ride
    *The First*

Consider making it so you can "easily" get at your dryer vent with that vertical run so you can vacuum the lint up every 6-12 months.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's an interesting dryer vent box thing. Is that common now? My dryer vent is fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Consider making it so you can "easily" get at your dryer vent with that vertical run so you can vacuum the lint up every 6-12 months.
    Is that really an issue still nowadays? I don't know, but my current Samsung dryer has a built in lint screen which captures a ton. I am sure a bunch still makes it past, but I never cleaned a dryer vent before. The hose fell off a few months back and I looked into the existing house pipe and it was pretty clean, but I will keep that in mind. It's all a smooth solid pipe inside, aside from the fittings, which are known to catch lint, but we will check and see how she looks after we start using it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's an interesting dryer vent box thing. Is that common now? My dryer vent is fuck.
    Think so. Mine is a bit more "uncommon" as I bought it online, but I have seen similar ones in use in the house under construction nearby. They are good to give more room for the flex hose in the back.

Here are the pics of those:

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Do you have a floor drain in the mechanical room for any future accidents, or a dehumidifier drain?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Do you have a floor drain in the mechanical room for any future accidents, or a dehumidifier drain?
    I do indeed. It's a code requirement. There is a floor drain under the washing machine, and one in the center of the mechanical room. I also have a few special drains that I discussed some time ago, where I can drain humidified directly into the p-trap on the drain, to keep it filled with water so it doesn't dry up.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 ... LastLast