Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 23 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    Has wheels

Curious if your priced out / compared building ICF? I've been following along since the start of the thread but don't recall.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curious if your priced out / compared building ICF? I've been following along since the start of the thread but don't recall.
    Building a house this big in icf would be very very (very) expensive.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    I haven't, mostly because I was set on screwpile design. I did shot around for different Pole Barn type builders, but settled with Integrity Post Structures because it was the easiest process (which was still unnecessary hard..). I did research into these things and have looked at ICF type building ect, but at the end of the day, I went with what would be easiest for a DYI.

Little Update:

The foam is done! Took him 8 days to do the work, he finished last Friday about noon. He is back this morning to finish cleanup. Foam is a wonderful thing, but it sticks to EVERYTHING! In the garage he lined the entire floor with tarps to protect it from droplets since it will be exposed/epoxied in the future, but rest of the house, the floor is covered with micro droplets. He did ask what floor I was planning on, so he decides if it should be covered or not. These micro droplets end up everywhere, so anything you don't want them on, cover it up. He does cover all windows and doors fully. Part of cleanup is walking around and scraping the entire floor of these drops, but it won't get rid of all of them. They don't matter if you are putting on some floor covering, but figure I mention it.

Here are the pictures of the finished product (as if there aren't enough foam pictures here already!)

Aside from that, I finished the final wall in the utility room, all drywalled and painted in there, it's the first nearly complete room in the house The electrical panel is looking slick recessed. Below the panel is an access panel to all my conduits for future stuff.

I also set the loft shower and the dog wash shower. For the loft, I applied RedGuard, which is a liquid applied waterproofing membrane, mostly as an extra safeguard to prevent subfloor rot from moisture. I wanted it to extend outside the shower a bit so that when you come out and may still be dripping some water, it will be kept away from the wood. I bought a big ass bucket to do all custom showers downstairs, so used a bit on the floor here. There will be more of it on the walls here as well once those are up. After RedGuard, I mixed a few bags of mortar mix as the shower bed, and set the acrylic shower pan in place. I used left-over window flashing to seal the gap between the shower flanges and the wall. Saw a pro do this, and thought it was a great idea. Usually that gap is simply siliconed in. Waterproof showerboard will go over that flashing to create a shingle effect for water, before it all gets tiled over.

That's all for now. Just finishing up final things in the walls with blocking ect, and then it's on to drywall. I think there will be a gap of in-activity for a little bit while I wait for drywaller availability.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Building a house this big in icf would be very very (very) expensive.
    I know it's expensive, but not sure how expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    I haven't, mostly because I was set on screwpile design. I did shot around for different Pole Barn type builders, but settled with Integrity Post Structures because it was the easiest process (which was still unnecessary hard..). I did research into these things and have looked at ICF type building ect, but at the end of the day, I went with what would be easiest for a DYI.
    That makes sense. Thought to ask based off of what you shared in foam cost.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Well a little update.

Yesterday I got drywall delivery, and had the hardest day of my life moving it . For anyone who is curious, after shopping around like 5 different drywall suppliers, Home Depot is the cheapest out there, but a long shot, BUT...they will drop off the drywall on your driveway and leave, whereas the professional supply shops will actually carry it inside and stage it where it is needed, but there are extra costs for that depending on upstairs/downstairs, types of stairs ect. Additionally, HD doesn't carry 14' sheets, just up to 12', so if your drywaller calls for 14s, you may have to source them elsewhere. Overall, from the companies I looked at, Consolidated Gypsum is the second cheapest after HD, and that is where I ordered my 14' sheets from as well as Denshield tile backer, rest of the drywall was ordered from HD. In total there was something like 320 sheets or so of various lengths, only 57 of them were delivered by Consolidated and staged....leaving the other 250 or so for me and my buddy to hand-bomb around the house....NEVER AGAIN! haha, I saved about $2k in drywall....but had to endure the hardest day of my life...so not sure if it was worth it. Took about 10 hours to move all that around, including bringing 70 sheets upstairs into the loft.

Here is the drywall on the truck, and then in front of my garage. The first stack in the picture looked like the 3rd stack when we started, didn't take the picture until we moved 50 sheets inside already to stage them for going upstairs..

And my step/calory/floor count after that day...

Aside from that got a couple other things done over the last week:

Got my manifolds installed. They took up more room than anticipated, so had to stagger them like this to make fit and still work with the original plan. Glad I left those pipes extra long!

Installed some rigid foam insulation around the window openings. This serves dual purpose in my case. 1. Fills in the gap between the framing and the window, which is about an inch in some area, and 2, it adds some insulation to the bottom of the window where they installed a single length of plywood to support the window, providing no space for expanding foam at the bottom. I decided to get this foam installed and caulked around every window, and will have drywall returns everywhere.

I also decided to install some lighting in the attic, if I ever need to go up there. I had these patio string lights at my existing house that we wouldn't need in the new place, so I repurposed them for general lighting in the attic. Will have them plugged into a switch plug and it should provide sufficient light up there not to die and fall through the drywall. These are 50ft and cover a good portion of my attic.

And finally, just installed some insulation around where HVAC exits the utility room. Think this is required for fire-code, but it was weird shapes, but I think I did a pretty decent job at not making it look horrible

That's all for now. Hopefully drywallers will start soon and I will be working on other small things around the house. Think hydronics will be my next big goal.
    Last edited by eblend; Today at 09:28 AM.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I'm more impressed everyrime I see an update. Honestly, man keep up the good work.

I would never do drywall returns in Calgary.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    I'm more impressed everyrime I see an update. Honestly, man keep up the good work.
    It’s mighty impressive
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Well a little update.

Yesterday I got drywall delivery, [snip] In total there was something like 320 sheets or so of various lengths, only 57 of them were delivered by Consolidated and staged....leaving the other 250 or so for me and my buddy to hand-bomb around the house....NEVER AGAIN! haha, I saved about $2k in drywall....but had to endure the hardest day of my life...so not sure if it was worth it. Took about 10 hours to move all that around, including bringing 70 sheets upstairs into the loft.
    You've got some solid friends. There is no one on the face of this earth except my wife or kids that I would consider helping hand bomb that much drywall for that long. I hope you at least gave him an over the pants handy and some pizza/beer for that incredible dedication
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah that's wild haha. I mean I have a friend that I know would help me do it, and I'd do the same for him... but we'd never ask each other to do it haha. That's something for someone that's in their 20s and poor. We'd just complain over beers about the cost of having the supplier do it.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23