Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 24 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Well little update. While I can't do much anywhere else, I have been concentrating on the utility room and getting my hydronics finished up. I will post pics first and then at the bottom provide additional information. I think I did a fine job, given that I have never soldered before or done anything with copper. Time will tell how good of a job I did if I get any leaks...

So the system is mostly done, it just needs to be filled and tested for leakage. I actually filled the floor loops yesterday with ~145 litres of 35% glycol, but run out to fill the rest of the piping above the manifolds, so dumped the rest into the auto-feeded and will pickup more on Monday. So far I only have 2 leaks..and it was on the first two loops. After I got those leaks I quickly tightened those connections, as well as all others, and haven't had any other leaks after that. I am most worried about the copper stuff, so we will see if that's all good or not. Area around the pump is the most questionable for me, as it was the first two valves and I am a bit afraid of a cold joint there, as I soldered those with a flame that was too weak. I went and got a stronger burner after and all other valves vent much better...but I am hoping I didn't overhead the valves there and damage the seals....we will see.

I will explain the few components of the system for those who are curious. The brains of the operation is the green box in the middle, it is the Taco Zone Valve controller. All of my thermostats throughout the house connect to it at the top. Each thermostat controls a zone (bedrooms, master, living, garage), and out of the bottom the connections are made to Zone Valves, which open as the call for heat arrives from that zone. As the valve is opened, it tells the pump to start circulating the glycol, and also tells the boiler to fire up to heat the glycol. The glycol is heated and makes it's way to the top copper distribution rail, which has an air eliminator in it's path to remove air from the system (it's a closed loop system). As air is removed, the glycol makes it's way the zone valve(s) that are calling for heat, and the glycol goes down to the manifold, through the floor, back into the return side of the manifold, and via the bottom return rail back towards the furnace to reheat the fluid. Before it makes it's way back, it hits a dirt collector (under and close to the gray tank looking thing), where it collects any dirt in the system, and has magents to attract any ferrous metals. The entire system is pressurized to about 12psi by the feeder below (the think with a tank full of glycol), which keeps the pressure in the system and adds fluid as necessary to the system. The gray tank on there is an expansion tank, it's purpose is to absorb the extra pressure as water expands when heated. Without that tank, the system could blow the pressure relief valve, which would spew glycol all over the floor. You can see the two vertical white pipes going down on the left wall, that's for pressure relief valves should they ever open. One is for central heating and the other for domestic hot water. There is also a small white cannister looking this on the left wall, this is a condensate neutralizer, which takes the acidic condensate drips from the boiler and makes them more neutral, before draining it down the drain. The HRV unit just above will also tie into the same drain pipe for it's drainage later, but doesn't need any neutralization so it's just a straight shot down.

And the final, and perhaps the most important thing...the cat passthrough has been cut out. I decided to do this now since it's all messy with drywall shit everywhere, so might as well add to it. In the future at finishing I will install the little surround, which will lead them into a small room just for their litter boxes ect.

My Ride

Well little update. While I can't do much on the inside, I have been working on the exterior, finishing up trims and siding, and getting my special feature wall siding all sorted out. The drywallers are done with hanging board and started mudding yesterday. I also got my gas service hooked up and fired up my boiler for the first time, and tried to heat the floors, and it all works! What a relief.

1. Gas Meter all installed.

2. Boiler is up and working, heating my floors.

3. Hydronics all filled and very pink

4. Drywall is all up

Little storage room under stairs

Lowest room in the house, at 8' tall ceilings. There is a bunch of HVAC runs above this, hence the dropped ceiling. This is the walk-in closet.

5. Finished up siding and soffit/facia on this side of the house. Still have to paint over nails on the top strip and caulk everywhere, but getting there.

That's all for now. Placing order for my special soffit and siding for the front entry today, spent like 4 hours getting it all measured out and calculated yesterday....a sneak peak at what is coming...

This is to finish off this front entry space..

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Out of rep so just gonna say, this is great. Thank you for sharing and your attention to detail is awesome. Please build my house.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Your attention to detail is absolutely incredible.

This is such an awesome build.
    I can't give you enough kudos.

When do you plan to be completed / move in?

Can't wait to see what you do to the landscaping.

My Ride
    V8s

This is good. OP is better homebuilder than most homebuilders.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Starting to look like a real house! Thanks for keeping this updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

eblend you're awesome. Great work and i think this place is going to turn out unreal.

My Ride

Thanks everyone for kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Your attention to detail is absolutely incredible.

This is such an awesome build.
    I can't give you enough kudos.

When do you plan to be completed / move in?

Can't wait to see what you do to the landscaping.
    We have until August 2nd to get residency permit....I am going to try as hard as possible to hit that deadline...but it will be tight. I don't need it to be fully complete, but all systems have to be operational (water, heat) + working shower/kitchen ect ect. Basically has to be livable, without being fully done, and that's what we are going for. After that deadline, I won't have any insurance on the place...which is a bit scary to think about. My current course of construction insurance is up on August 2nd, it's the 2nd extension and the final one. I need to get residency permit to switch to standard homeowner insurance.

We are hoping to move in around September into here, and rough it out while we finish it up. Funds are tight and we need to sell our existing house to get out of this whole we dug.

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Out of rep so just gonna say, this is great. Thank you for sharing and your attention to detail is awesome. Please build my house.

Don't think I will be building any more houses ever after this haha, not a simple task, and I take too long due to my attention to details, so noone would wait for me to do anything this slow haha

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    This is good. OP is better homebuilder than most homebuilders.
    Funny enough, I work for a homebuilder, but in IT, so nothing to do with the construction side at all. Also after seeing how some homes are built nowadays, I think a monkey could be a better home builder than most homebuilders

My Ride
    Canyonero

What's your total CoC insurance cost? when I priced it I got sticker shock, it was 10x what regular homeowner rates were.

What a rewarding stage to have reached; i love it when the drywall starts going up. Congrats. As others have said, it's looking amazing and you should feel very proud.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    What's your total CoC insurance cost? when I priced it I got sticker shock, it was 10x what regular homeowner rates were.

What a rewarding stage to have reached; i love it when the drywall starts going up. Congrats. As others have said, it's looking amazing and you should feel very proud.
    Thanks. The CoC insurance is pricey...it was $9k for the initial 18 months, then 4k for 3 more (was increase + value bump to 800k), and last 3 are $2400....so like 15k for 2 years I guess. That's for $800k construction cost.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Thanks. The CoC insurance is pricey...it was $9k for the initial 18 months, then 4k for 3 more (was increase + value bump to 800k), and last 3 are $2400....so like 15k for 2 years I guess. That's for $800k construction cost.
    yep that's about what I was quoted. ouchies! It all adds up. As you know well by this point. Love the transparency and honesty you've been showing off here throughout the process.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

looking great!

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24