Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

Typically until they stop

My Ride
    *The First*

^Until "refusal" and I vaguely recall my Structural Dude telling me "they ain't doing fuck all until they're down >11m" but it's possible that was specific to the site conditions. These piles look massive for a house, so my guess is they're using larger ones to be on the safer side because they didn't get a giant geotech report that is more weasel clauses than binding data.
    That's probably what I would do, too.

But my "being right" record in this thread isn't great, so...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The weight and requirements for industrial projects are far greater than this would need.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The weight and requirements for industrial projects are far greater than this would need.
    Oh absolutely! Like 10x!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Any idea how deep these piles go?
    I would say somewhere between 8-10 feet, basically as others have said, until they can go no more. Looks like those piles are about 12" long I would say, didn't measure, and what you see sticking out is what couldn't go any more. The guy told me yesterday that they are topping out at 30000 lbs on some of them, which is way above the 8000 or so they have to get to. The guy went with higher torque because he wasn't getting as much depth as they normally could. Guess I got some solid ground, which is good.

They got through a bunch today, but still a bunch left

The area for my septic field got cleared today, tomorrow they start digging that out

They also dug and ran the water line today into the house, it's partially covered, they gave up early as it was too damn hot there today.

As it sits, by the end of the week electrical and sewage stub out + bunch more stub outs for future uses will be installed. The purple stubs are just 4" PVC pipe that I will feed a bunch of smaller PVC conduits through later for everything listed on the right side. I had that drawn out but realized it's easier for this guy to do the stubs for me, burry them, and then I will come with my tractor and dig them up and run all other conduits through them. I need these stubs there because between the screw piles goes a frost wall, and it can't be disturbed after, or at least shouldn't be, so everything that needs to penetrate through should be in the ground before it's there. I hate side of building penetrations, so trying to limit those.

Name:  New Stubouts.png
Views: 1271
Size:  213.5 KB

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    . These piles look massive for a house, so my guess is they're using larger ones to be on the safer side because they didn't get a giant geotech report that is more weasel clauses than binding data.
    That's probably what I would do, too.
    Not sure how this works, but the county needed to see all the load parameters on each pile, and had to have Engg provide a ton of details and shit on these to ensure they meet all standards and requirements. There is also a report that is provided by the crew after the piles go in to show torque specs ect for country records.

This is the info I have on piles if anyone is curious

Name:  ScrewSchedule.JPG
Views: 1174
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  ScrewSchedule2.JPG
Views: 1173
Size:  116.1 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Not sure how this works, but the county needed to see all the load parameters on each pile, and had to have Engg provide a ton of details and shit on these to ensure they meet all standards and requirements. There is also a report that is provided by the crew after the piles go in to show torque specs ect for country records.

This is the info I have on piles if anyone is curious

Name:  ScrewSchedule.JPG
Views: 1174
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  ScrewSchedule2.JPG
Views: 1173
Size:  116.1 KB
    Neat! So you were required to get somewhere between 3,000 and 8,000 ft•lb as a "refusal torque". Your contractor was hitting that torque long before the piles were minimum helix depth of either 6' or 8'.
    Thankfully, they had a big enough rig to force those dirty fuckers down to minimum depth with a shit pile more torque. I believe this means you've hit some excellent ground at about 5' and forcing that helix deeper into that is great.
    Hitting rocks is a nightmare. You sit there spinning with no reasonable torque until you hopefully fracture that rock and get a chance to get lower but you've kind of "reamed your hole" and no one wants that. (But don't worry if you get a few).

Piles that size every 8' under a house is for a house that will be there until my ex-girlfriend stops being a whore.
    I've put a 500 barrel tank under four* 7" screw piles and that's all over 80,000 kg.
    *That was a big mistake and there was plenty of info that it shouldn't have worked, but it did...

Why doesn't bedroom 1 have a closet?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Why doesn't bedroom 1 have a closet?
    It's going to be a workout room. Closet was removed on purpose and can be built in later if needed.

Not much update today. The screw pile guys are all done and packed up. Next up a crew is supposed to come out and cut them all to proper length and weld on plate brackets. Tomorrow if all goes according to plan I will finally get the power cable into the ground.

Yesterday they made good progress on the septic field.

Last edited by eblend; 07-14-2022 at 07:17 AM.

My Ride

Well, today was a big day for me. After 5 weeks after picking up a massive power cable (300 kcmil ACWU90 Armored Cable), I was finally able to get it into the ground. It's a pain working with a cable this size, but nothing a little bit of machinery can't assist with. The cable was hoisted with an excavator and the other end attached to a truck which drove and unspooled it. 100M of cable, and looks like at least 5M of extra on there was added as I have more than enough. Was a little worried as the planned path changed last few weeks so was sweating, not knowing if it would be enough. $5000 for the cable...so not a cheap thing to mess up on.

The septic tank also went in yesterday

They are going to finish all the septic work by Tuesday of next week, and sometime next week I expect that they will be cutting all the piles to lengths, and after that the walls will start going up! Things are getting exciting and moving pretty quick now!

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Interesting project, might have missed it by why piles and no basement, are you worried about water tables in the area?
    Basement seems like a lot of space we normally assume to have available to us here.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    Interesting project, might have missed it by why piles and no basement, are you worried about water tables in the area?
    Basement seems like a lot of space we normally assume to have available to us here.
    Hey. The reason there is no basement is because this isn't a typical stick built home. This is basically a pole frame structure, where the outside walls form the basis for the entire support of the home. Interior walls don't bear any load at all, and if I wanted to, I could have the entire place as open concept, with no walls in the way. Riding arenas, aircraft hangers, barns ect are built this way. It's just something the wife and I decided on, as it's more diy friendly. I'm running this whole thing as a general contractor, and I will be doing a ton of work myself outside of the building shell and things like septic, hvac, concrete ect. Basements are possible with this type of build as we, but that's very expensive and custom.

Either way, it's just the wife and I, and our pets, so it's more than big enough for us. The loft will basically serve the purpose of a basement for us.

My Ride

Well not much visible progress last little while, but finally yesterday they started cutting the piles, and today started welding them on. Getting close to big changes quick I suspect! Some beefy brackets

My Ride

Well not much visible change happening. Some materials got delivered, and the water pump was dropped into the well today. With the help of a generator I can now get water. I also got a chance to fly my drone around on the weekend

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Well not much visible change happening. Some materials got delivered, and the water pump was dropped into the well today. With the help of a generator I can now get water. I also got a chance to fly my drone around on the weekend

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Are there 4x acreages in this area or what land is yours? I assume what is all dirt would belong to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Are there 4x acreages in this area or what land is yours? I assume what is all dirt would belong to you?
    Mine is everything at the end of that cul-de-sac, so the dirt area and up to my car parked in the bottom right of that picture.

This picture shows it better. There are a total of 5 lots on this whole road, each one is ~4 acres.

Last edited by eblend; 08-09-2022 at 07:57 AM.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Looking good bud!
    Cos...

My Ride

So the build crew is on site and the build has started! Today they put a bunch of main posts up already, and I suspect progress will be quick for a while, as the wall sections between the posts are pre-built. Will be interesting to see how quick she goes.

Also well pump is in and garden hydrant installed as well. Will get this puppy going with my new generator when it arrives as I need some water for my septic field grass.

My Ride

This is the progress in ONE DAY from last pictures, pretty quick, since all the sections are pre-assembled.

The two vertical windows are too low and don't match the drawings....let them know...let's see what kind of fix they will put out. Supposed to be high like this window. These are bathroom/shower windows

My Ride
    ute

thats pretty cool

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast