Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What material are the window frames? Doesn't look like vinyl, unless it's wrapped vinyl? Where'd you order them from?
    They are acrylic wrapped vinyl if you want to call them that. The wrap is is heat/chemically fused to the frame, not something you can peel off. The windows are from All Weather Windows, which is the company that Integrity deals with, so I didn't really have a choice, but so far happy with the look and feel. My patio door is the same way, black inside and out acrylic wrapped vinyl, from same company.

Since I had to look this up, decided to check on the window coating for completion, and it's HS3 glass, which is Triple pane, two Low-E coatings, Argon with an R value of 7.5.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by andyg16 View Post
    This is sweet! Looks like the mech room for the 4 bdrm is at the back of the walk in pantry. Anyways if you guys get a chance look up stradman on youtube, the house he is building is pretty sweet. Similar to this but just to a bigger scale.
    Funny enough, I saw his video a few weeks back of this massive house as he did a walkthrough during construction. Randomly showed up on my YouTube feed. My entire house is like a quarter of his garage haha.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    My only contribution is that there have been a few points in recent history where plywood was cheaper than OSB. I call that a win.
    Yep the pandemic meant that my sheathing ended up plywood because OSB was unobtainable and ridiculously expensive. Definitely a win.

- - - Updated - - -

I am loving all these updates @eblend and like was just said; this is my favorite thread on beyond right now. Kudos on realizing this and thanks for taking us along for the ride.

My Ride

Well I went out there again today to see all the progress over the last two days, and they did quite a bit of stuff. It's not visible mostly, but some of the stuff is very important for my type of build, as I am building what is called a "conditioned attic", where the roof attic space is all part of the thermal envelope, and therefore isn't vented like most roofs are. The roof space is a warm space, and vents are specifically blocked, with spray foam sprayed right to the underside of the roof. Here is a picture to give you an idea:

With that being said, all the blocking has now been installed to block out all venting, so that spay foam can go right up the wall and carry up the roof and back down. This building method is not very common in residential real estate, but it's picking up steam for highly efficient homes. It's a ton more expensive because you have to spray SO MUCH of the roof surface.. All ventilation in this house will be mechanical, with fresh air sucked in from the outside with an HRV

Additionally, the frost wall insulation has started going in now. They got about 60% done today.

I suspect that by end of next week the house will be fully wrapped and roof metal will begin.
    Last edited by eblend; 09-22-2022 at 10:36 PM.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Do the underside of the shingles get vented somehow? Otherwise wont they get fucked up in the summer from baking on that roof surface with the underside foamed?
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Do the underside of the shingles get vented somehow? Otherwise wont they get fucked up in the summer from baking on that roof surface with the underside foamed?
    The roof is rolled metal.

My parents insulated and roofed their house/garage the same way. They also have HRVs. If you have any plants in the house, or park wet cars in the garage, it actually can cause humidity issues because the house is tighter than a nun on Sunday.

My Ride

Yah, as cjblair said below, it's a metal roof. There is a membrane that goes between the roof and the plywood underneath as well. I don't know all the details, but people much smarter than me in building envelop design say it's a good thing. There was actually a study contracted out somewhere in the states that had a direct impact to our Alberta building codes, and only changed about 6 months ago. When I was doing my permits they told me that if I wanted to spray the underside, I had to provide a building envelope engineering review, which is about $3000, but a new standata came out just in time for me to avoid needing that, and it's now an approved installation method.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    The roof is rolled metal.

My parents insulated and roofed their house/garage the same way. They also have HRVs. If you have any plants in the house, or park wet cars in the garage, it actually can cause humidity issues because the house is tighter than a nun on Sunday.
    Yah, I can imagine that. It's really a balancing act with all the different ventilation methods inside the house, including bathroom fans ect. It's a more controlled approach vs just letting it leak all over the place, which is basically how most houses are made.

My Ride
    *The First*

Ok, so you pay a lot more for the envelope study and then a lot more in spray foam and then a little more (but in perpetuity) heating/cooling a space that is almost certainly not occupied...
    I guess there's some benefits somewhere, but what's the benefit that I am failing to see?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Dude, I think you forgot to pour your basement

That's a perfectly cromulent way to do a roof, but usually it's to accommodate a vaulted ceiling.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

nice. metal roofs are g. my asphalt shingled roof feels entirely inadequate now.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Ok, so you pay a lot more for the envelope study and then a lot more in spray foam and then a little more (but in perpetuity) heating/cooling a space that is almost certainly not occupied...
    I guess there's some benefits somewhere, but what's the benefit that I am failing to see?
    Heating/cooling a bit more space at a way higher efficiency due to less losses is a net win. Plus the roof will last as long as the house.

My Ride
    *The First*

It's a lot more space (actually volume), though - isn't it?
    And a comparably* sealed envelope with a separate attic shouldn't be any less efficient, should it?

*Being hyper sealed with spray foam etc etc.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I didn't have to pay for the envelope study, those were done before me for research and then approved by Alberta. I will pay a ton for spray foam and because the house is so tight (spray foam is a moisture/air barrier as well), it actually leaks very little heat/cold out, so it's actually supposed to be more efficient to heat and cool (apparently). Another benefit will be the fact that I can have full height ceilings everywhere, as I can run all my HVAC piping, electrical, water ect up in the attic, something that you normally wouldn't be able to in a cold attic over here in Canada. So those are some of the benefits, but the actual thing that pushed me over the edge is the fact that last year we had terrible attic rain in our existing house, and all that fluffy insulation in the attic got wet and practically useless. After that experience I decided that I would much rather spend money up-front and never have to worry about it again. I should also mention that my entire slab will be heated, so aside from furnace I will have that as a heat source to warm up the space.

Really it's a choice. On YouTube some pretty big name custom home builders swear by this approach, so I decided to give it a go. We plan on living here until our final days, so we want to do things the best way possible (within limit), and hence why we also sprung for triple pane windows, hell even my garage door windows are insulated...

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Dude, I think you forgot to pour your basement
    Excellent observation Go back a few pages and it was talked about

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    That's a perfectly cromulent way to do a roof, but usually it's to accommodate a vaulted ceiling.
    Yah, I have done a ton of research into it, the standata that applies to my house is actually referencing a vaulted ceiling design as an argument point.

nice. metal roofs are g. my asphalt shingled roof feels entirely inadequate now.
    Yah, I'm looking forward to it. It was one of the main things I knew I wanted right off the bat. I also paid I think 7k extra to make sure it's a standing-seam metal roof vs the normally included exposed fastener corrugated steel.

Generally speaking, should look something like this when done. Mine is in carbon black color

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Are you putting rigid insulation on top of the sheathing? When I looked into a sealed attic you needed a lot of insulation and typically it was necessary to put a couple inches of insulation on top of the roof as well.

My Ride
    *The First*

That seems more desirable in a couple ways I hadn't considered.
    RIP about your attic rain scenario recently. That's a shitty deal.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Are you putting rigid insulation on top of the sheathing? When I looked into a sealed attic you needed a lot of insulation and typically it was necessary to put a couple inches of insulation on top of the roof as well.
    I have seen some people do it, and some put an airgap between the metal and the roof, but I don't know if it's required or not. The way one engineering firm told me, is that all you need is a special underlayment and you are good, so that's all I really know about it.

For anyone who is curious, or stumbles on this in their research, the particular standata that allows this can be found here:

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/5a1e...19-bcv-022.pdf

The document and research in question can be found here. It's a good read @ThePenIsMightier , as it outlines all the benefits (8 page read):

https://www.americanchemistry.com/co...-in-Canada.pdf

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Airgap makes me hard.

My Ride

So not much of an update, but wanted to post pictures of the insulation details as I was able to take some pictures before they got covered up, so you can see the layering.

That's all for now

My Ride

Well they they started applying roof synthetic covering on today, so house is looking rather blue. They only finished this one side today, but by end of day tomorrow I am sure it will be fully covered. Unfortunately this crew is nearly done with everything they were working on, and because of some missing trims, they are unable to install the doors just yet, and now another crew will come to do roof metal ect, so not sure on the timing of progress going forward. I will be posting progress of my plumbing, which I will be doing all by myself! Should be fun. Got all my pipes lined up, going to pickup on Friday and start trenching on Thursday.

Took another picture of the loft as well now that the stairs are in (they are basically hanging in the air until concrete is poured..

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast