Quantcast
My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: My Acreage Project - Let the fun begin

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Possible you can share some cost estimates or good contractors you've found so far in this process? Be big help!

My Ride
    Canyonero

Looking good!

I'm curious how you made out on the insurance front. Getting course of construction coverage was a struggle, when I shopped around for it. And shockingly expensive.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

As someone who's never seen a house built from scratch, I'm really enjoying the progression. And the level of thought put into each item!

I could see myself going completely insane doing this, essentially needing to understand the engineering fundamentals of every single piece and the quality of every single item. I'm enjoying it from the sidelines!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Possible you can share some cost estimates or good contractors you've found so far in this process? Be big help!
    So far, I haven't really used too many contractors, as I plan to do a bunch of the work going forward myself, but the ones I can recommend without issue would be:

Bear Excavation - They stripped and sloped my entire land and build the pad for the house. Were a pleasure to work with. Let me drive their compactor (and paid me for my time) and the crew guys were awesome. Total cost for half my lot that I am developing now, took about 3 weeks, was $23k

I had a guy who built my septic field and water line, I am not so sure I would use him again in the future. The work was done quick, using quality components, but too many red flags, so I won't recommend on here unless someone really wants to know. This was $32k, includes septic tank/field/pressure tank/well pump, waterline to house, excavation for my electrical cable, basically everything to get water and sewer in the house, minus pipes to connect to the sewer.

The building shell is being done by Integrity Structures, but it's actually subcontractors who are doing the work. I don't know their company name or anything, but awesome guys as well.

The only other guy who has impressed me so far, and I will be going with for my concrete, is Brad Carroll from Rocky View Concrete. Guy is super knowledgeable and shared so much advice with me the very first time we spoke, that I knew he was the one I would want to use. These are per sqf numbers he gave me:

-All in right from recycled concrete to the finished product will be $10.50 - $11 per sq ft.

-Just pump place and finish, and supply of concrete will be approx $6.50 per sq ft

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    Looking good!

I'm curious how you made out on the insurance front. Getting course of construction coverage was a struggle, when I shopped around for it. And shockingly expensive.
    I got insurance, $9700 for 18 months through Mammoth Insurance, James Clark is the man. He was awesome and got me a few quotes. Other company that got me a quote was Apollo insurance, but James got more coverage for same price, so I went with Mammoth.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    As someone who's never seen a house built from scratch, I'm really enjoying the progression. And the level of thought put into each item!

I could see myself going completely insane doing this, essentially needing to understand the engineering fundamentals of every single piece and the quality of every single item. I'm enjoying it from the sidelines!
    Keep in mind, this ISN'T how most homes are built, so don't learn too much

Yes it sucks and a challenge, and you have to learn the tricks of each trade if you plan on doing these things, and all the code requirements for your specific region. Let's just say YouTube is fantastic to learn a topic. Watch a ton of videos on the same topic and you pickup a bit from every one, and at the end you have a pretty good idea on how to proceed. Most contractors won't tell you anything as they want to get paid and do the job for you, and charge you up the ass for it, so if you are willing to learn and are curious enough, anything is possible. DIYChatroom site is also great for random questions, as lots of guys on there are pros who are bored in the evening and reply to DYI folks on how shit should be done.

My Ride

Just posting some pics. Roof all covered up and construction crew that built the whole place has left. New roofing guy will show up sometime to do the metal roof and his crew or someone else to install everything else, namely doors, house wrap, garage doors and a new interior stair as the one they installed was 6 inches too long.

Looking great sir! I love ranchers like this... We are actually getting ready to list our acreage for sale soon. Making a move back home to the South Similkameen in BC. Your type of house is something I would want!
    Last edited by tirebob; 09-30-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Looking great sir! I love ranchers like this... We are actually getting ready to list our acreage for sale soon. Making a move back home to the South Similkameen in BC. Your type of house is something I would want!
    Wait what? What's happening to your store then??

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Wait what? What's happening to your store then??
    I have been working from home for well over 2 years now so I will continue to do what I do remotely and just come back to Cowtown periodically as required... But, sorry I was not looking to thread highjack! Just expressing my love for the rancher type houses and nthat I want one haha!

My Ride

Well no-one working on my house this week, so I started doing the shit I need to do, which is plumbing. Took me nearly 3 full days, but I finally dug up the required trench, and laid out the pipe to make sure I got the right slope. Let me tell you, digging inside of a house is a major pita, especially when you are dealing with rock hard clay base, a little Kubota tractor with a backhoe that only rotates 45 degrees off center in either direction...and a trench that has 45 degree angles all the time. At times my tractor was basically hanging over a trench, surprised I didn't roll it or drop it in the hole.

Right now it looks like a giant mess, but once plumbing is done and all is back filled + topped with gravel, it will all look pretty.

Brought over $1800 worth of pipe and fittings. Pipe is solid core for anyone in the know and curious.

Laid out the pipe to get a general idea of the route and marked the ground for digging

Let the digging begin! I could have made this much simpler on myself, but I chose the hard route, hence the deeper trench. Oh well.

Digging in every direction that I can as I can based on how i can position my tractor. Some walls were cut out, but since they are not load bearing it's not a problem. The construction crew cut one out for me, I cut the other as I went diagonal. Can see the support beams still in place and intact over the screw piles.

Making progress. Pipe is laid inside just to check slope. Using a laser level to verify consistent downwards slope across the entire length.

The trench is fully dug up.

The top end of the pipe (with an outdoor cleanout already roughed in.

The bottom end with the stub-out to the septic tank (it's much deeper than picture leads on believe. Total drop from top to bottom is 20 inches.

Final result

Got a 5 day weekend coming up, plan is to get all the measurements in, all the pipes glued, bedded and call the inspector for sometime next week if all goes well. Doing most of the plumbing just on the spot as I get there, as I tried planning and well, sometimes you have to make things work on the spot as you are dealing with multiple dimensions of pipe drop ect, so I gave up and will do each section one at a time, starting from the very top and work my way down until I can tie into the septic.

That's all for now. Long days and lots of work, but making slow progress.
    Last edited by eblend; 10-04-2022 at 09:43 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Well no-one working on my house this week, so I started doing the shit I need to do, which is plumbing. Took me nearly 3 full days, but I finally dug up the required trench, and laid out the pipe to make sure I got the right slope. Let me tell you, digging inside of a house is a major pita, especially when you are dealing with rock hard clay base, a little Kubota tractor with a backhoe that only rotates 45 degrees off center in either direction...and a trench that has 45 degree angles all the time. At times my tractor was basically hanging over a trench, surprised I didn't roll it or drop it in the hole.

Right now it looks like a giant mess, but once plumbing is done and all is back filled + topped with gravel, it will all look pretty.

Brought over $1800 worth of pipe and fittings. Pipe is solid core for anyone in the know and curious.

Laid out the pipe to get a general idea of the route and marked the ground for digging

Let the digging begin! I could have made this much simpler on myself, but I chose the hard route, hence the deeper trench. Oh well.

Digging in every direction that I can as I can based on how i can position my tractor. Some walls were cut out, but since they are not load bearing it's not a problem. The construction crew cut one out for me, I cut the other as I went diagonal. Can see the support beams still in place and intact over the screw piles.

Making progress. Pipe is laid inside just to check slope. Using a laser level to verify consistent downwards slope across the entire length.

The trench is fully dug up.

The top end of the pipe (with an outdoor cleanout already roughed in.

The bottom end with the stub-out to the septic tank (it's much deeper than picture leads on believe. Total drop from top to bottom is 20 inches.

Final result

Got a 5 day weekend coming up, plan is to get all the measurements in, all the pipes glued, bedded and call the inspector for sometime next week if all goes well. Doing most of the plumbing just on the spot as I get there, as I tried planning and well, sometimes you have to make things work on the spot as you are dealing with multiple dimensions of pipe drop ect, so I gave up and will do each section one at a time, starting from the very top and work my way down until I can tie into the septic.

That's all for now. Long days and lots of work, but making slow progress.
    Are you doing anything to protect your lines from freezing?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

This thread rules. Interesting content.

89coupe, why would he? the house/dirt is insulation, all basement lines are just in the dirt...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Are you doing anything to protect your lines from freezing?
    Basically what JFuckinC said, the house is the insulation. From my understanding the earth below the house does not freeze. Also, these are sewage pipes, which only carry water for a brief moment before they are empty again as the water flows into the septic tank. The only line in the whole house that is berried hella deep (10') is the main water line, as it holds water and needs to be below frost line. Even the line that carried "water" to the septic field is not very deep. From what I have been explained, the water is pumped to the septic field, and then once the pump stops pumping, the remaining water flows back into the tank, therefore it never freezes. All water lines within the house will be in the walls/conditioned space and not under ground.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    This thread rules. Interesting content.

89coupe, why would he? the house/dirt is insulation, all basement lines are just in the dirt...

My understanding of frost line in Alberta is 3 meters, anything above that runs the risk of freezing.

Since he doesn’t have a basement I would be worried.

Maybe I’m wrong?

It's somewhere between 5 and 7 feet. Under the house doesn't need to be that deep because its protected by the house above.

My Ride
    *The First*

My understanding of frost line in Alberta is 3 meters, anything above that runs the risk of freezing.

Since he doesn’t have a basement I would be worried.

Maybe I’m wrong?
    It's between 2-3 meters on open land, if there isn't a big, comfy, warm house insulating the ground from the cold.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

How does the frost line transition at the edge of the house? Is it an angle or depth? Genuinely curious.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    How does the frost line transition at the edge of the house? Is it an angle or depth? Genuinely curious.
    I don't know but I'd assume it's a steep angular gradient.
    The House sitting on a shit tonne of piles virtually eliminates his risks of frost heaving, etc.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    It's between 2-3 meters on open land, if there isn't a big, comfy, warm house insulating the ground from the cold.
    Interesting, reason I ask is I know of a lot of homes that have experienced burst sump pumps caused by freezing over a cold winter snap.

Also plumbers never like to run lines on exterior walls, regardless of how much insulation you add.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Interesting, reason I ask is I know of a lot of homes that have experienced burst sump pumps caused by freezing over a cold winter snap.

Also plumbers never like to run lines on exterior walls, regardless of how much insulation you add.
    i wonder if the burst pump is more of an issue of cold air coming back into it from the outside?

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast