Quantcast
How do you handle test drives when selling? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle test drives when selling?

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

Default How do you handle test drives when selling?

I’m about to list an expensive-ish (90-100k) car for sale, how do you or how have you handled test drives for vehicles like this?

Thanks.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by 93VR6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m about to list an expensive-ish (90-100k) car for sale, how do you or how have you handled test drives for vehicles like this?

Thanks.
    They can look at the car and they can ride in the car while I drive it for them. If they’re still interested then a signed bill of sale and a cash deposit in hand to let them test drive it.

Not letting them drive until they’ve signed the bill of sale because if they crash then it’s their car.

My Ride
    changes every year

I'm not buying a 100k car without driving it ill tell you that

It depends who is showing up... There is a big difference between a cocky DDP mid 20 year old wigga and a 60 year old retired accountant.

I expect someone interested to want to drive it but it will only happen if I am in the car as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yolo and yeet, no cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Sold a few cars In the $60k range and no test drives just inspection. So I’m def not letting test drives lol but that’s me.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I just sold a vehicle for $86k. I let them drive it because I can't imagine any sane person handing over that much money without getting behind the wheel of the car and test driving it. Clearly you have to gauge the person based on their appearance when they arrive but as long as they don't pull up in an Subaru STI with a flat brimmed hat I don't see the issue of letting them test drive it. You are selling the car after all so you have to let go of the paranoia of letting others drive it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

“If you crash it make sure it’s a write off”
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

When I sold my truck I met them at a police station, handed them the keys and made them promise to bring it back. It was a nice lady from new sarepta and the truck was only 7 grand though. They brought it back.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    V8s

I haven’t let people test drive my last couple cars.

There is zero chance I’d let someone drive it without a signed bill of sale. Tell them you’ll be happy to refund them if they drive it and decide they don’t want it, but it’s simply too much risk for you to take on. Anyone that has $100k to spend on a car will be reasonable (I.e., smart) enough to understand that.

If that doesn’t float your goat, then just meet in springbank or something where there’s less traffic and a lower risk of accident.

In this market you might get away with no test drives if yours is a sought after car and priced reasonably.

I traded in my car last year and got about the same as I would get selling privately but without the hassle of trying to sell a used car.

Personally, I have always allowed test drives to maximize the number of potential buyers (and price).

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    , but it’s simply too much risk for you to take on.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what risk? The car has insurance on it. You are a passenger in the car. Any funny business occurs, you tell them to pull over. An accident happens, insurance handles it and you sue them for any additional costs. The odds of there being an issue like a crash/accident with you in the vehicle is so astronomically low I can't see why anyone would put that as a risk. Higher chance of an issue driving it yourself on any given day.

There is inherent risk in selling anything. Probably not as much of an issue on more expensive cars to know what you are getting into as the car is likely in good shape, but a test drive seems mandatory.

Anytime I've bought a vehicle, or done a test drive of a vehicle at a dealership, I let the seller know in advance I will be taking the vehicle to redline as that is within manufacturer spec and I intend to use the vehicle as the manufacturer spec'd it.

This is the only way to insure everything is operating properly. You won't see the transmission slip while driving Ms Daisy, but you'll find out right quick with a full throttle downshift.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    They can look at the car and they can ride in the car while I drive it for them. If they’re still interested then a signed bill of sale and a cash deposit in hand to let them test drive it.

Not letting them drive until they’ve signed the bill of sale because if they crash then it’s their car.
    This. I've only test driven cars when I'm ready to sign and buy. And half the time I don't even test drive the car - I bought my Viper in the middle of winter (-40*) and just had the guy start it up and that was good enough.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Has wheels

My recent daily drivers have all been trade ins except 1 and I took the new buyers for a drive, they still purchased.

My summer drivers, I had taken all buyers for a drive and they've all purchased after said drive.

Personally, I generally wouldn't buy something without driving it (exception being my current F150).

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

After my Corvette fiasco I don’t think I would buy a car that pricey without a decent test drive and maybe even a pre purchase inspection if I can’t get a good look under it.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what risk? The car has insurance on it. You are a passenger in the car. Any funny business occurs, you tell them to pull over. An accident happens, insurance handles it and you sue them for any additional costs. The odds of there being an issue like a crash/accident with you in the vehicle is so astronomically low I can't see why anyone would put that as a risk. Higher chance of an issue driving it yourself on any given day.

There is inherent risk in selling anything. Probably not as much of an issue on more expensive cars to know what you are getting into as the car is likely in good shape, but a test drive seems mandatory.

Anytime I've bought a vehicle, or done a test drive of a vehicle at a dealership, I let the seller know in advance I will be taking the vehicle to redline as that is within manufacturer spec and I intend to use the vehicle as the manufacturer spec'd it.

This is the only way to insure everything is operating properly. You won't see the transmission slip while driving Ms Daisy, but you'll find out right quick with a full throttle downshift.
    If you were test driving and the engine or transmission blew up at redline would you volunteer to pay for it or just walk away and tell them thanks for the entertainment?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    If you were test driving and the engine or transmission blew up at redline would you volunteer to pay for it or just walk away and tell them thanks for the entertainment?
    Ya this is a good example of one of the risks. An accident is worst case, but there’s a ton of other things that can happen. A non-writeoff accident is a horrible outcome.

Another example: a few years back I let someone test drive my car. They got a photo radar ticket, and obviously never paid me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

When I sold my C63 it was sight unseen.

I let a buddy of his who lived in town look at it but that was it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I really don't understand why some are so hesitant to let a possible buyer test drive. It's not like you are selling a rare collector car and what's really going to happen with you in the passenger seat? I assume if the prospective buyer was able enough to drive to meet you without crashing their car they are going to be able to take your vehicle for a little spin with you in it. The odds of getting into an accident are no higher than you driving the car at any time anyway. How comfortable would you be if you are looking to buy a $100k used car and the seller (a person you don't know at all and do not know you can trust) refused to let you buy it unless you committed to the sale with money first? You can get an inspection done for $500 at a dealership of the brand but I would still want to drive it to see if it has any little quirks like rattles, noises on bumps, etc.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Would you toss the keys at any moron on the street?

Because that’s what Kijiji is. Any moron off the street.

No test drives is a great way to avoid test pilots.

If you can sell the vehicle without that experience. That sounds like a win to me. A test drive has never been a contentious aspect of selling a car for me.

If they want to test drive cars they can hit a dealer who have profit margins to support that nonsense.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast