Quantcast
How do you handle test drives when selling? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you handle test drives when selling?

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't understand why some are so hesitant to let a possible buyer test drive. It's not like you are selling a rare collector car and what's really going to happen with you in the passenger seat? I assume if the prospective buyer was able enough to drive to meet you without crashing their car they are going to be able to take your vehicle for a little spin with you in it. The odds of getting into an accident are no higher than you driving the car at any time anyway. How comfortable would you be if you are looking to buy a $100k used car and the seller (a person you don't know at all and do not know you can trust) refused to let you buy it unless you committed to the sale with money first? You can get an inspection done for $500 at a dealership of the brand but I would still want to drive it to see if it has any little quirks like rattles, noises on bumps, etc.
    +1
    There is no way I am spending 100K + without driving the vehicle.
    I recently had this experience at a Dealership where they wanted me to sign the papers without test driving one and I simply walked away

My Ride
    Nissan x2

If I'm buying a 100k+ vehicle I'm driving it first. I would like to see at least one or two WOT rips, however I'd be perfectly fine with letting the owner do that with me in the passenger seat.

Dealer vehicle 100% I would need to drive it first.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Ah this thread gives me nice warm fuzzy feelings of Beyond CSI days and the Claw.

100k private sale I haven't done but my method is pic of person holding their license of and close up pic of their license/insurance. I usually ask for the keys of the car they came in, and if they are sketchy I would follow them in my car on a semi-planned route with video on dashcam (I've never had to do this).

I'm not getting into the car with them. If they wanna steal it fukin' take it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...rive-1.1302075

My Ride
    Has wheels

@DonJuan why their insurance? Just to verify their address?

I always suggest i drive for insurance purposes, since it's my insurance that deals with something if it happens.

I'm not against letting someone drive before buying but that's an in person assessment.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Would you toss the keys at any moron on the street?

Because that’s what Kijiji is. Any moron off the street.

No test drives is a great way to avoid test pilots.

If you can sell the vehicle without that experience. That sounds like a win to me. A test drive has never been a contentious aspect of selling a car for me.

If they want to test drive cars they can hit a dealer who have profit margins to support that nonsense.
    I'm smart enough to be able to discern a legitimate buyer from a Kijiji test pilot. You can usually tell instantly by the vehicle they pull up in. Not everyone needs color by number. The reality is that few Kijiji test pilots test drive $100k cars. They are more interested in stuff like STI's and Type R's, etc. Stuff they want but can't quite attain.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    @DonJuan why their insurance? Just to verify their address?

I always suggest i drive for insurance purposes, since it's my insurance that deals with something if it happens.

I'm not against letting someone drive before buying but that's an in person assessment.
    Just something for my insurance company or police to go with, just to say I did due diligence. The whole "He said he was insured."

Fake buyers might get scared away from test driving if they think their insurance will come back at them.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    I'm smart enough to be able to discern a legitimate buyer from a Kijiji test pilot. You can usually tell instantly by the vehicle they pull up in. Not everyone needs color by number. The reality is that few Kijiji test pilots test drive $100k cars. They are more interested in stuff like STI's and Type R's, etc. Stuff they want but can't quite attain.
    So some combination of clairvoyance and naïveté.

Makes sense.

No skin off my back, it’s a sellers market. If you don’t want to buy my vehicle I’ll sell it to the next guy.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I've only sold 3 cars over the years, but I generally try to screen out the suspect folks the same way I do on my other Kijiji/Marketplace adds.

ie: if you can't string a proper sentence together right off the bat, that's a major red flag.

Last car I had asked if they are familiar with the car in my reply and had driven one before - It was a manual and I really wanted to drive home that point to avoid having my time wasted.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    So some combination of clairvoyance and naïveté.

Makes sense.

No skin off my back, it’s a sellers market. If you don’t want to buy my vehicle I’ll sell it to the next guy.
    And I'll sell it to the first guy which is the ideal scenario when selling a vehicle. Less people to deal with and waste my time, the better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2