Quantcast
YYC Airport delays update? - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: YYC Airport delays update?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why euro cheese is better.
    Interestingly enough, so is euro air travel.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sounds like causation to me.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post

Don't keep the update a secret like both I and The Penguin have described.
    The update isn't a secret (as Maxx stated), however the airline can't reasonably predict a couple of other factors that play into it. They can't predict the amount of aircraft that need de-icing ahead of them, the amount of time it takes to de-ice each aircraft ahead of them, and the biggest factor, the amount of de-ice employee's who actually show up to a shift.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    As I understand it, you aren’t arguing that the departure time should be moved up to account for things like deicing, correct?

You are wanting the arrival time to be revised so that your sisters ride didn’t need to wait the extra 15 minutes at the pickup airport, correct?

That is already the case, which is why I’m confused as to what you’re asking for. The arrival time is based on the wheels up time, plus the planned flight time. The time when the flight pushes back from the gate is the scheduled departure time. The difference between these two can be as much as 30-60 minutes, depending on the reason for the delay. In winter operations, there is a set time built in, depending on departure station, for this exact reason. If, for some reason, things take longer, the new arrival time is updated electronically as soon as the aircraft is airborne. It knows the flight planned air time for that exact day, taking into account winds, etc. and will update the respective app accordingly. Arrivals within +15 and -5 minutes are considered by IATA to be “on time” and the flight will show as such, however using any of the airlines apps will still show the exact arrival time, down to the minute.

For example, let’s say a flight departs YYC at 13:00, to arrive in the same time zone at 15:30. It could very well only have a 90 minute air time. It could be accounting for 45 minutes in YYC for deice, and another 15 on the arrival end for taxi if it’s a large station. If the flight pushes on time at 13:00, but deicing takes a full hour because YYC sucks balls, the arrival time won’t be updated until the aircraft actually takes off at 14:00, and will then show a 15:45 arrival.

Make sense?
    Thanks for clarifying. I have never seen any time built in for de-icing or any other known delays that would be experienced. It's comforting to know that it's supposed to be in there, but I can honestly say, I've never seen it. I'm no stranger to flying, but a long way from those who max out all their tiers on multiple airlines, so I'm not the definitive authority.

Every fight I've been on reports the same duration between the places every time. Winter, summer, blizzard, pestilence, fog, famine - it doesn't matter. Maybe WestJet extra sucks at this.

The other thing that is related to inaccurate schedule times is when the plane that I'm getting on is doing a back & forth (whatever the cool industry term is) and they don't update for known delays.
    Example: there's a flight from YVR to YYC that's scheduled to arrive at (let's say) 13:20. It is supposed to unload, they spray Febreeze and load everyone on to return back to YVR. I'm booked to get on that flight from YYC to YVR at 14:00. The plane could be an hour late leaving YVR and they know they ain't making up that time, but that delay won't be conveyed right away, or at all.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I have never seen any time built in for de-icing or any other known delays that would be experienced. It's comforting to know that it's supposed to be in there, but I can honestly say, I've never seen it. I'm no stranger to flying, but a long way from those who max out all their tiers on multiple airlines, so I'm not the definitive authority.

Every fight I've been on reports the same duration between the places every time. Winter, summer, blizzard, pestilence, fog, famine - it doesn't matter. Maybe WestJet extra sucks at this.

The other thing that is related to inaccurate schedule times is when the plane that I'm getting on is doing a back & forth (whatever the cool industry term is) and they don't update for known delays.
    Example: there's a flight from YVR to YYC that's scheduled to arrive at (let's say) 13:20. It is supposed to unload, they spray Febreeze and load everyone on to return back to YVR. I'm booked to get on that flight from YYC to YVR at 14:00. The plane could be an hour late leaving YVR and they know they ain't making up that time, but that delay won't be conveyed right away, or at all.
    Because, Your outbound leg may not stay on that inbound aircraft. Especially at hub cities, aircraft swaps are common. The problem with delaying a flight, is they now have to delay bag drop, check in, everything else to compensate. Better to get everyone through security and to the gate, especially if the delay isn’t that long. Each aircraft type has minimum turn times, usually around 35 minutes for a narrow body. If either leg has a light load, this can be sped up even more. Additionally, boarding times are generally 45 mins prior to departure. It often takes less than that, so there’s more time to be made up.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Flew to and from IAH and Frankfurt without too much delay, only problem was landing in Edm instead of YYC so they could clear the runway in Calgary. Overall, 9.5/10. Bonus was that the AC gals were extra perky - got the champagne out in Edm. Best part was all the Euro’s taking their luggage down in Edm and waiting in the aisle’s.

My Ride
    *The First*

Because, Your outbound leg may not stay on that inbound aircraft. Especially at hub cities, aircraft swaps are common. The problem with delaying a flight, is they now have to delay bag drop, check in, everything else to compensate. Better to get everyone through security and to the gate, especially if the delay isn’t that long. Each aircraft type has minimum turn times, usually around 35 minutes for a narrow body. If either leg has a light load, this can be sped up even more. Additionally, boarding times are generally 45 mins prior to departure. It often takes less than that, so there’s more time to be made up.
    I'm sure it's true that they may switch the aircraft, the thing is, I'm talking past tense and my examples are all the same aircraft.
    I can see it leave late as Hell from Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria or Charlottetown and there's no update. Get to airport super unnecessarily early and watch it arrive late as Hell. Then certifiably get on their same plane for it to turn around and fly straight back to Kelowna, Vancouver, Victoria or Charlottetown.
    Obviously the impact isn't usually significant on those shorter routes because apparently we need to be at the airport like "3 hours" before a domestic flight nowadays, (LoL!) but I've been able to watch (online) the plane leave Calgary 2.75 hours late and then sleep in a shit ton before going to that horrible YYG and the fuckers haven't updated shit. The airport is full of angry people dying in humidity listening to fish-wives yelling at their obese children and I stroll in knowing the plane is barely in Quebec.

Maybe this is a WestJet issue? Or an airport issue and nothing to do with the carrier?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

TPIM issue sounds like

My Ride
    '18 Murano

The time when the flight pushes back from the gate is the scheduled departure time.
    This is an important tidbit that a lot of people don't realize. We were watching a family member's flight at Christmas. Status said "departed" and everyone was happy it was "on time"
    Well watching ADSB it was 1 hour later that it actually took off, Most of that was waiting in line for de-icing.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Not necessarily YYC related but flying has NOT improved with Westjet in the last 12 months in my experience.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Not necessarily YYC related but flying has NOT improved with Westjet in the last 12 months in my experience.
    Westjet is horrible compared to the pre-PE times.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

FACT, 2/4 flights for me last week was delayed.... 1 was the first leg of a connecting flight which resulted on missing my connection. D-

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Had to wait around for pilots to show up for over half an hour today. That doesn’t seem so bad I guess.

Plane was ancient though. Must have been a repainted swoop plane or something.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

had a flight cancelled due to no crew on Westjet. Had to stay overnight in Ft. mac. therefore my final destination was delayed by 12+ hours and I should have gotten like $1k in compensation, but Westjet determined I would get $400. Not sure if you can appeal? I just took the $400.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I took a lynx flight last month and it was better than WestJet by a mile at 1/5 the price.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

God damn we are on an ancient 737-700 for a 5.5 hour flight.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

AC the other week was delayed in both directions, only about 20min… but as a percentage of the flight time to Van, annoying

The best was return, still watching people getting off the previous flight when preboarding was supposed to be happening… then sitting in the plane I get a text saying the flight was delayed due to late arriving passengers, I mean I guess that’s not technically a lie

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    had a flight cancelled due to no crew on Westjet. Had to stay overnight in Ft. mac. therefore my final destination was delayed by 12+ hours and I should have gotten like $1k in compensation, but Westjet determined I would get $400. Not sure if you can appeal? I just took the $400.
    What's with WS flights getting delayed on "no crew". I had one in July and it's delayed for 3 hours, didnt help that it was a 10pm flight and I also missed getting my rental.

speaking of which, Delta was offering flight credit on one of my flights that's overbooked last week. Started at $800 + hotel + food credit, one guy took it. They needed a second, and the offer went up to $1800 before they could find someone. Absolutely unreal.

My Ride

God damn we are on an ancient 737-700 for a 5.5 hour flight.
    I mean... WS fleet is make up of over 70% 737 NG.... I'm not sure what you were expecting.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    AC the other week was delayed in both directions, only about 20min… but as a percentage of the flight time to Van, annoying

The best was return, still watching people getting off the previous flight when preboarding was supposed to be happening… then sitting in the plane I get a text saying the flight was delayed due to late arriving passengers, I mean I guess that’s not technically a lie
    My recent flight delays with AC/WJ.... I get a google notification long before any notification/update from the airline. Even just googling the flight number will show "delayed" long before the airline websites get updated.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast