Quantcast
Tipping on pick up order - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Tipping on pick up order

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    5% for pickup at non-chain restaurants,.
    This logic fascinates me....what is the difference between non-chain and chain workers that makes one vs the other deserve more money? This especially has me confused when the service is limited to a customer coming in, them handing you previously prepared food, then you paying and leaving.

To answer the initial question, a tip to me is when the service is better than expected. Its a token of appreciate for doing more than the bare minimum. The bare minimum is me eating what i asked for within a reasonable time frame.

I just ordered a custom cake and they sent me the invoice over email. There was a tip option but I haven't even seen the finished product yet so a tip didn't make sense. If it's to my liking then I'll tip cash on pick up.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    This logic fascinates me....what is the difference between non-chain and chain workers that makes one vs the other deserve more money? This especially has me confused when the service is limited to a customer coming in, them handing you previously prepared food, then you paying and leaving.

To answer the initial question, a tip to me is when the service is better than expected. Its a token of appreciate for doing more than the bare minimum. The bare minimum is me eating what i asked for within a reasonable time frame.
    Owner/operator places I pick up from regularly. It's more for the consistent good food and service that goes directly into their pocket. Chain restaurants depends on what % goes to the wage workers preparing the food and to the disinterested person handing me the food, I've found it's the norm with these places. I'm just an order number to get out the door. So I avoid tipping on pickup at these places.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Owner/operator places I pick up from regularly. It's more for the consistent good food and service that goes directly into their pocket. Chain restaurants depends on what % goes to the wage workers preparing the food and to the disinterested person handing me the food, I've found it's the norm with these places. I'm just an order number to get out the door. So I avoid tipping on pickup at these places.
    Quite a few "Chain" restaurants are actually franchised and ran by owner/ operators.

Just something to keep in mind.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I get that. What I mean by owner/operator is the owner is the one cooking your food and handing it to you and cleaning up afterwards and running the business and works hard 14 hour days etc. I'd rather tip them than give a % of tip the person whose SnapTok story I interrupted to pick up my food.

Not that I don't appreciate people who work in food service, they work hard and have to deal with SHITTY people, I just think when you tip an a big chain %'s go to good workers and bad ones also.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

my other peeve is the %tip at restaurants. The defaults are now 18, 20, 25???

I had a super expensive meal with some friends recently but it wasn't a hoity toity place but we had some wagyu beef dishes that skewed the price really high. So dinner and drinks was like $500. Then when I paid the default tips came up and I was trying to pay the bill sneakily cause my friends always fight for the bill. So long story short, tipped $100 on a $500 bill, but I don't think I received $100 worth of service.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    NC1

Yea that’s the other thing too lol tip % can be high on a small bill but on a big bill, tip % should be lower maybe. Anyway it’s all a bit arbitrary. Find your own golden mean.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Nope. I'm straight up Mr. Pink

The expectation of tipping is bullshit. Don't even get me started on "pre-tipping" for things like Skip/Uber. It should be for service above and beyond, not me subsidizing greedy owners/industry practices.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3