Quantcast
Work Laptop Deals Thread (Mega?) - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Work Laptop Deals Thread (Mega?)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless you have a time machine to go back to pre-2010ish when they were all actually very knowledgeable and helpful.
    I wore an onion on my belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

There's an older guy at NW ME that constantly gives out wrong advice.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    I had suggested that one, and my Wife specifically asked at M.E. about it, but they were out of stock everywhere. (Which lines up with what is shown online) Neither of us are IT saavy, so she went with what was suggested by the salesperson.
    Return it

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I made a small hint and returning it... and was shot down rather quickly. While this laptop may not be the best, it is light years ahead of her old one and thats all that matters to her. I get that the specs etc may not be super strong, but shes a fairly light user in terms of requirements. For $745, she was happy, so probably in my best interest to leave it at that. Guess next time I need to do more research!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What's your guy's opinion on Lenovo's Legion series? I've had a ThinkPad for over a decade now and while there isn't anything wrong with it, the screen resolution is brutal in comparison to what we have these days. Would also like something a little larger like 15.6-16".

Many of the laptops in the Legion series hit the specs I want which includes a dedicated GPU and 100% sRGB screen. But I'm less familiar with their reliability or any design flaws in particular to cooling.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    I made a small hint and returning it... and was shot down rather quickly. While this laptop may not be the best, it is light years ahead of her old one and thats all that matters to her. I get that the specs etc may not be super strong, but shes a fairly light user in terms of requirements. For $745, she was happy, so probably in my best interest to leave it at that. Guess next time I need to do more research!
    For a light user, it's all about screen and keyboard then the guts. 12GB is decent. That Ryzen chip is fine. It's not long ago you can't even play light games with onbaord graphics.

That said, for a 2024 purchase, I would have insist on a laptop that charges via USB C so I can travel with 1 less power brick.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    What's your guy's opinion on Lenovo's Legion series? I've had a ThinkPad for over a decade now and while there isn't anything wrong with it, the screen resolution is brutal in comparison to what we have these days. Would also like something a little larger like 15.6-16".

Many of the laptops in the Legion series hit the specs I want which includes a dedicated GPU and 100% sRGB screen. But I'm less familiar with their reliability or any design flaws in particular to cooling.

Think as long as you have 2 fans in there cooling would probably be decent. Dedicated GPU for our new machines runs way cooler than not having it, but is of course a much louder machine while under load. Lenovo never screams “value” but for having high screen standards, I’m not too sure where I’d point you without getting wild with a gaming machine. Asus has panatone calibrated OLEDs but a dedicated GPU then becomes $$$

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

Looking at the 14" (14.5) Legion Slim 5 gen 8 with 4060 8GB? I'm tempted but do not NEED an upgrade. The only wish I have for that machine is the 32 GB option which is not currently or no longer available. And some reviews say the keyboard is not as good compared to the "Legion Slim 7" or "Slim / yoga 9".

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

14 inch? May as well stare at your phone.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    Looking at the 14" (14.5) Legion Slim 5 gen 8 with 4060 8GB? I'm tempted but do not NEED an upgrade. The only wish I have for that machine is the 32 GB option which is not currently or no longer available. And some reviews say the keyboard is not as good compared to the "Legion Slim 7" or "Slim / yoga 9".
    Good comparison here:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo....712713.0.html
    Ultracrepidarian

Does anyone here have a feel for whether doubling the RAM on an HP Pavillon laptop from 16GB to 32GB would be worth it performance wise? (Its for my son, who is trying to use his laptop for some gaming as well as his school work).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    Does anyone here have a feel for whether doubling the RAM on an HP Pavillon laptop from 16GB to 32GB would be worth it performance wise? (Its for my son, who is trying to use his laptop for some gaming as well as his school work).
    Depends on the game. But 32GB won't hurt these days. Even some of my City Skyline builds with mods/assets can run 20-24GB. But it's all pointless if your GPU is weak.

Goes double if his school work includes CAD.

It also really depends on the age of laptop if throwing more memory at it is worthwhile. If it's too old, don't waste money on ram.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-07-2024 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Depends on the game. But 32GB won't hurt these days. Even some of my City Skyline builds with mods/assets can run 20-24GB. But it's all pointless if your GPU is weak.

Goes double if his school work includes CAD.

It also really depends on the age of laptop if throwing more memory at it is worthwhile. If it's too old, don't waste money on ram.
    The most intensive thing he's wanted to play is Fortnite.

The laptop was bought last year from Costco. It has an Intel Core i7-1355U and a 1TB SSD, in addition to the 16GB DDR mentioned earlier. I don't really know what it has for a GPU but the HP model # is 15-eg3003ca.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    The most intensive thing he's wanted to play is Fortnite.

The laptop was bought last year from Costco. It has an Intel Core i7-1355U and a 1TB SSD, in addition to the 16GB DDR mentioned earlier. I don't really know what it has for a GPU but the HP model # is 15-eg3003ca.
    You don't have discrete GPU. You have Intel Iris Xe integrated graphic on the i7 proc.

These thread titles say it all.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graph...e/td-p/1469739
    https://community.intel.com/t5/Graph...e/td-p/1357950

It's not a RAM problem.

You want to play games have a discrete Nvidia GPU on top of your CPU. Although some 2024 laptop CPUs started to have more potent GPU integrated, it's still doesn't beat a discrete one.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-07-2024 at 06:00 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not an amazing deal, but something like this should be the baseline to compare deals against.
    Lenovo E16 with a few cheap upgrades (like the WQXGA 2560x1600 screen and larger battery)
    Name:  Screenshot 2024-03-08 080716.png
Views: 79
Size:  33.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot 2024-03-08 080802.png
Views: 79
Size:  43.6 KB

when it turned out that BYOD is a hassle at my company, my work IT people got me an E16 without these nice upgrades, sigh.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4