Quantcast
Road Trip. Pacific Coast Trail. Redwoods - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip. Pacific Coast Trail. Redwoods

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Road Trip. Pacific Coast Trail. Redwoods

Im planing a road trip with my girlfriend. We want to go down the Pacific coast trail and to see the Redwoods mid August.
    We are going to head west to Vancouver, stay with friends. Then head across the border south.

Any recommendations on where to stay/camp/motel. Places to see and eat?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im planing a road trip with my girlfriend. We want to go down the Pacific coast trail and to see the Redwoods mid August.
    We are going to head west to Vancouver, stay with friends. Then head across the border south.

Any recommendations on where to stay/camp/motel. Places to see and eat?
    Lobster rolls in Malibu, for sure.

Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

One direction I highly reccomend skipping Vancouver to cross Washington on highway 20. Incredible road. Stay in some small town along there.

But then again, I hate Vancouver.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Also a drive I'd like to do.

Following.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Wife and I did that trip a few years ago. We made it to the redwoods at the northern tip of California, and then headed back. We didn't plan anything more than a day or two out. It was fun. The Oregon Coast was the best part of the trip. We stayed on the 101 for as much as we could, that is the key.

Have a great time!!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I did this in 2015 from San Jose down to LA.

I made a stop in Monterey for lunch and rest. That was really nice. I'd suggest finding a restaurant along the water and soak in the scenery. I went to Fish Hopper. Food was okay but the view was incredible. I remember the stretch of road between Monterey and Big Sur to be really fun and beautiful, at least until it moves inland a bit.

My advice is to take your time and enjoy it. I did the whole thing in like 9 hours cause I was following the Flames California road trip so I was on a bit of a schedule (it was funny bumping into the same group of Flames fans at all three stops haha), but I really wished I had the opportunity to make more stops along the way. I was planning on doing this drive again in 2020 but then the world turned to shit, but it's still on my radar. Next time I'll actually space it out over a multiple days and make lots of stops for sight seeing, instead of racing from point A to point B.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I’m not sure if it’ll help you at all, but here is my trip down the coast in my VW Westfalia. Might spark some ideas.

Cheers!

http://www.imgur.com/a/zSY6E

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

This is basically our road trip from a decade ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...46&usp=sharing

Asides from the beautiful views from basically the entire highway, the highlights for me was the super touristy, but awesome Hearst Castle, and staying in the Sam Simeon area. If you go down that far, it's worth checking out. I also loved Death Valley and the Eureka Dunes. Just make sure your AC is in tip top shape, lol. Car was reading 49*C or something like that.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 08-02-2022 at 06:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Thanks for sharing the links and tips. Really useful.

So far the plan is to head to Golden right after work on Thursday. Stay with my cousins ands eat yummy food. Thenext morning do some white water rafting and then chll with family after.
    Saturday head out early and do a long drive towards Portland or Cannon beach (most likely Portland). Sunday do a leasurly drive along the coast. Its 6hrs to Jedediah Smith Redwoods state park. So stopping along the way. Camp at jedediah smith redwoods state park that evening. The next morning see the big trees. Head down to the next state park see more trees and end up in San Fran that evening (tuesday)
    Bumbling around San fran the next day(Wenesday) and then do the 3-4hr drive to Calaveras big trees. Camp there. See the trees Thursday and then do a hard drive north to Portland. Stay the night and do the drive to vancouver for Friday. Chill in Van Saturday. Sunday do the long haul to Calgary.

I am not sure as I only have that week. I might cut it down to San Fran and head back north.
    Should I spend more time for the along the coast/beaches and break this out to two days?

Thoughts?

My Ride
    V8s

More time coast, less time San Fran. Alcatraz is cool if you haven't seen it, but you'll want to get tickets in advance (like now), and ride across the bridge on a rental bike and have lunch in Sausalito are kinda the only things that are special there. Basically any fancy/special restaurant books like 6 weeks out (or at least did last time we were there), so that may be something to consider if it was one of the attractions for you.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by zipdoa View Post
    Lobster rolls in Malibu, for sure.
    Name:  cc0734bd52677be244f57789457219bc_w200.gif
Views: 241
Size:  666.9 KB
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Thanks for sharing the links and tips. Really useful.

So far the plan is to head to Golden right after work on Thursday. Stay with my cousins ands eat yummy food. Thenext morning do some white water rafting and then chll with family after.
    Saturday head out early and do a long drive towards Portland or Cannon beach (most likely Portland). Sunday do a leasurly drive along the coast. Its 6hrs to Jedediah Smith Redwoods state park. So stopping along the way. Camp at jedediah smith redwoods state park that evening. The next morning see the big trees. Head down to the next state park see more trees and end up in San Fran that evening (tuesday)
    Bumbling around San fran the next day(Wenesday) and then do the 3-4hr drive to Calaveras big trees. Camp there. See the trees Thursday and then do a hard drive north to Portland. Stay the night and do the drive to vancouver for Friday. Chill in Van Saturday. Sunday do the long haul to Calgary.

I am not sure as I only have that week. I might cut it down to San Fran and head back north.
    Should I spend more time for the along the coast/beaches and break this out to two days?

Thoughts?
    You got a Canadian Passport?

I don't know if things have changed, or if you've done a land border before and are cool with it...anyway....on a British Passport:

The ESTA is only for air travel, if you're doing land crossings you need to go into the office and apply/pay for the I-94 visa waiver and get your photo/fingerprints done. At one point they would only take cash and it was US$ only (hopefully that is updated somewhat!) I went through at Coutts and it wasn't busy but still added about 30 mins onto my crossing, so definitely worth keeping in mind at a busier crossing.

Of course this is moot if you're on a Canadian Passport

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Yeah I got a Canadian passport.
    Fun story. When I sold my old Zonda last year. I sold he winter tires separatly. A woman and her father came to buy them. The guy was the judge from my citizenship ceremony. Not only that, his facebook picture was of him with his wife walking through the town centre from where im from in west London... whoooaaaaaaaaaa

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Yeah I got a Canadian passport.
    Fun story. When I sold my old Zonda last year. I sold he winter tires separatly. A woman and her father came to buy them. The guy was the judge from my citizenship ceremony. Not only that, his facebook picture was of him with his wife walking through the town centre from where im from in west London... whoooaaaaaaaaaa
    You do strike me as an Ealing sort of bloke :P

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

My oil is at 40%. Next sevice is oil+filter and brake service.
    Im at 20,000km. Last service was done at 12,000km. Worth doing before the road trip or after..?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Do it before if it will give you peace of mind. It's like 100 bucks.

Interested to hear what route you decide with. I'm probably going to Oregon this Oct and might dip into the northern part of California for a day. Not SF far though.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Get the oil changed on the trip. USA is usually cheaper for stuff like this.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Do it before if it will give you peace of mind. It's like 100 bucks.

Interested to hear what route you decide with. I'm probably going to Oregon this Oct and might dip into the northern part of California for a day. Not SF far though.
    Its the brake service that im scared of.. $$$ lol.

We decided to keep the route simple. So Golden Thursday night. Friday rafting. Saturday, leave early and do the hard drive to Portland. Thats just over 12 hours.
    Then the next day take it easy and split the pacific coast drive to two nights. Make our way to Cannon beach and do a drive down to Coos bay. Spend the night there.
    Then drive to Redwoods for a night, then a second national park for a second night. Then drive up to Portland again, but split that drive in day nights.
    I'l update with more details.

My Ride
    V8s

What's the brake service involve? It definitely shouldn't need rotors or pads at 20k km. It shouldn't even need a fluid flush.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    I’m not sure if it’ll help you at all, but here is my trip down the coast in my VW Westfalia. Might spark some ideas.

Cheers!

http://www.imgur.com/a/zSY6E
    Beautiful trip - thanks for sharing the photos and the writeup!
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast