Thread: Shops f'n up my Rover

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

BYO parts.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now everyone is just being mean, OP included. Can't we all just kiss and make up?
    Hey, I came on here to get opinions. Then a few decided to completely ignore what I actually said, twist my words to mean something else or generate falsities outright, and then belittle me with their narrative.

If anyone wants to have an actual debate with facts (which is what I was hoping for) I'm all ears. If I read between the lines of garbage people are throwing at me, I can see the more neutral people tend to have an opinion that differs from mine. And that's perfectly cool but I'm not not going to just sit here and take that shit from the others. I wouldn't take it in person and I ain't taking it online either.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-04-2022 at 03:09 PM.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    How about…

A Grand Cherokee.
    This, with the 5.7 Hemi...surely 90% of the Rangey ability at 30% of the cost?

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    LX’s in Canada are bottom of the pile. I owned one in the US, loved it, tried to buy one here, and they all had:
    A) funky smell due to previous owner’s cologne/car care routine
    B) three+ accident claims - not small ones - $8k and up (Vancouver ones batted 100% on this metric - connect the dots on that one)
    C) huge mileage

In 2028 I will import a 2013 US model from the south.
    100% True. But why are you waiting 15 years for a US one? Are they on the banned list from the US?

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    And 100% of the dropped cylinders.

@Kloubek , I get the idea of driving a unique and interesting car instead of a wood burning stove Toyota. Part of the allure of driving neat cars must then be the unique and interesting things that go wrong with them.
    Last edited by DonJuan; 08-04-2022 at 03:11 PM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I retract, all of my previous posts, you win. This is the shops fault and they should cover all of the cost. Go after them until you are satisfied with the outcome and I hope this works out in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post

Once again, you are putting words in my mouth. I came on here to ASK what the general consensus would do with this situation, and how I felt about it. (Which I received. "Eat it and be happy. It's your own fault for buying LR"). I am open to opinion, but not opinion based on facts that never happened. You live in your own little make-believe world. Hope it works for you, but reality works for me.

I apologize for misinterpreting all of your previous posts such as these below, I didn't intend to put words in your mouth. Best of luck with the Land Rover.

Are there any legalities which say parts on your car must remain in the same operating condition as they came in?

Hopefully nothing else decides to conveniently kick the bucket in the hands of other people.
    What is actually stressing me out is how multiple parts that worked perfectly fine started failing the moment I bring it to a shop. It isn't technically about the money as much as it is trying to figure out if a) They actually did fry things due to their incompetence and b) What recourse I legally have I can prove that to be the case.

If the battery is truly dead (I suspect the 1st shop just ran it down) then I will happily absorb that, and consider it my own fault. As for the starter, I suppose there is a one in 10,000 chance it was "just it's time" during the 2-3 starts it has encountered since being in for service, but let's face it - that's exceptionally unlikely. Hence, my initial question as to what the legalities might be when you bring something into a shop, and other things stop working while in their possession.

I mean, at what point DOES the shop have to take responsibility - either legally or morally? Can you bring it in for a new battery and they can return it with every electronic system destroyed? If the answer to that is "no, of course not", then at what point does responsibility apply? 3 ecus? 2?

In short, my expectation is that they don't fuck up my vehicle parts while it's in their hands.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    I almost think he said that as a joke after reading that I've owned many Grand Cheorkees and was tired of them. I've owned five of them, and my last one had the 5.7. I might have to make it six.

And Shelby, I'm gonna take one last fruitless stab at it for ya. I was stating my opinion. Yes, I'm allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours, believe it or not. I was asking legit QUESTIONS as to OTHER'S opinions. This isn't rocket science, pal.

But again, not once did I say anyone was "wrong".
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-04-2022 at 03:15 PM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

wallcat.gif
    Good luck sir. I shall remain neutral in your quest.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Good luck sir. I shall remain neutral in your quest.
    lol. Thank you, good sir.

LR did contact me, saying they will have an update at the end of the day. I look forward to ending this particular segment of the saga.

And this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    I get the idea of driving a unique and interesting car instead of a wood burning stove Toyota. Part of the allure of driving neat cars must then be the unique and interesting things that go wrong with them.
    I drive the XFR because it's not common and it fits my many specific needs. I bought the Rover for the same reasons, although I was less concerned about uniqueness for my beater vehicle. Sure, it's a nice throw-in, but as I said in an earlier post, it's quite challenging to find a vehicle that meets all my requirements so that was the main goal. I would be quite happy with a Toyota instead, but to fit into my budget there aren't a lot of options unless I want to overspend a bit and get something with double the mileage. (Which, honestly, would probably STILL be more reliable.)

I'm considering my options. I only offroad a half dozen times a year so if I take that requirement out of the equation, it opens up a ton more options for full-size SUVs with that kind of towing capacity.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 08-04-2022 at 04:02 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Curious, have you asked the opinion of actual LR owners? Do any others have experience where one part cascaded into other ones being broken? What's their experience with LR Shops?

I've always stayed away from LR, RR, Jag, etc because their are known for electrical issues, which I believe your issue qualifies as.

Maybe they will sympathize with you plight. you seem to be getting none of that here.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Curious, have you asked the opinion of actual LR owners?
    Maybe they will sympathize with you plight. you seem to be getting none of that here.
    I have not. If I feel the people here are elitist, you can only imagine the environment in those forums. And to be clear, I'm not looking for sympathy. It started with an explanation of the circumstances, and an honest question, which for whatever reason became something entirely else.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Curious, have you asked the opinion of actual LR owners? Do any others have experience where one part cascaded into other ones being broken? What's their experience with LR Shops?

I've always stayed away from LR, RR, Jag, etc because their are known for electrical issues, which I believe your issue qualifies as.

Im a LR owner. Not just me. FIL, sister, BIL were/are all LR owners.

I would say that no, typically its not a cascade of parts if one is broken, but you do run into a lot of deferred maintenance on used cars of any make that are in that particular segment. So you go in to get brakes done, and lo and behold there are like 9 other things wrong so the bill is $7k and people say OMG what a POS I went to get brakes done and it was $7k. No, its just that the previous owner (or you) deferred all the maintenance items that aren't wheels fall off critical so you need to catch up on that maintenance. Add that with dealerships that overcharge and you can get into some hefty bills.

Main thing to realize is that a full size RR is often a $150k car. So you can't calculate your expected maintenance based of a used purchase price of $30k.

Basically it helps to be an enthusiast for the type of vehicle you will be running particularly if it is a make with a lot of tech, lots of options, and lots of expensive parts.

Edit: the "exclusivity" of driving a range rover is that the general population has no stomach for the operating costs. Kind of how you want to live in a nice neighbourhood not because it is affordable/attainable, you actually want the exact opposite because people are gross and the gen pop is even grosser so you want to be where they cannot be. For example, my home is attainable, therefore, I end up with a POS neighbour that doesn't cut his grass and tries to burn mine down with cigarette butts in a planter. If I wasn't a pleb, I'd be in a $26MM self-sustained bunker in Colorado with no neighbours.
    Last edited by littledan; 08-04-2022 at 05:35 PM.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    100% True. But why are you waiting 15 years for a US one? Are they on the banned list from the US?
    A good, legitimate question. But also the reason we don’t still have our old one. Ol Jimmy Takata made some shitty airbags, then Lexus released a recall….with no known fix. And Trudeaupia doesn’t allow the importation of a vehicle with an open recall.
    Last edited by SkiBum5.0; 08-04-2022 at 09:41 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    but you do run into a lot of deferred maintenance on used cars of any make that are in that particular segment.

Main thing to realize is that a full size RR is often a $150k car. So you can't calculate your expected maintenance based of a used purchase price of $30k.
    My unit is no exception. I bought it with known issues but besides the lean code had everything back up to snuff, and driving/running fantastic after around 8k in a long list of parts. Luckily I was able to do most of the work myself, which does save some bills.

Combine this with a $3000+ alternator replacement and I'm certainly invested. As i've said, the cost of parts I can accept. But I still feel the shop should be responsible for any damage they caused through negligence or inability. IF that's what actually happened, of course.

In any event, it's pretty clear my line of thinking isn't commonly shared. The thread ultimately served its purpose in discovering how others felt, and what the "norm" is. I'm honestly floored that most would happily pay for a cascade of parts (good term) when getting something else unrelated worked on. That might explain why shops commonly screw their customers - as not many are concerned about it. This kind of event could cost tens of thousands on something like a supercar. But if everyone is good with it, that's easy money right there.

I went into the wrong occupation.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

ya unfortunately seems like a lot of modern mechanics is just shotgunning parts.

I'm lucky cause my bff runs a shop so for example, I had a 2500hd where my brake line rubbed through on the fender liner and failed. If I took to gmc, they would have ordered a new hard line and had to remove a shit tonne of parts to snake the old one out and new one in. Labour would prob be ridiculars. But my mechanic simply cut the existing hard line at a good spot and spliced in a new hard line. Fill fluid, bleed brakes, some $200 later and I'm gtg.

$3k on the starting/charging/batt system does suck, BUT, it also doesn't suck because at least in -40C winter you will be good to go cranking ur brand new starter and big ass battery and not worried about getting stranded PLUS you have heated seats and a heated fucken front windshield while doing it AND once you get going, if you hit a pot hole your air suspension just absorbs the bump instead of transferring it into ur butthole PLUS you get to look down from your leather wrapped cocoon on shitmobiles like a toyota CHR that Enterprise tries to tell me is an SUV which it clearly is not AND you save the environment super fast with your gas v8 AND gas lid is on the right side so you can just tell ur wife to fill the gas while you plug into obdII and clear the christmas tree of codes #brightside
    Last edited by littledan; 08-04-2022 at 09:57 PM.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    V8s

My unit is no exception. I bought it with known issues but besides the lean code had everything back up to snuff, and driving/running fantastic after around 8k in a long list of parts. Luckily I was able to do most of the work myself, which does save some bills.

Combine this with a $3000+ alternator replacement and I'm certainly invested. As i've said, the cost of parts I can accept. But I still feel the shop should be responsible for any damage they caused through negligence or inability. IF that's what actually happened, of course.

In any event, it's pretty clear my line of thinking isn't commonly shared. The thread ultimately served its purpose in discovering how others felt, and what the "norm" is. I'm honestly floored that most would happily pay for a cascade of parts (good term) when getting something else unrelated worked on. That might explain why shops commonly screw their customers - as not many are concerned about it. This kind of event could cost tens of thousands on something like a supercar. But if everyone is good with it, that's easy money right there.

I went into the wrong occupation.
    You’re missing the point. It’s not that people don’t care; it’s just that it’s impossible to definitively say whether or not the part on an old car broke as a result of the shop or not, thus the shop can’t be held responsible for something they may or may not have done.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    You’re missing the point. It’s not that people don’t care; it’s just that it’s impossible to definitively say whether or not the part on an old car broke as a result of the shop or not, thus the shop can’t be held responsible for something they may or may not have done.
    Can't believe no one has mentioned the big 3 of owning a car

Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Pick 2 out of 3.

Now when you have a 20 year old car, well, I think you only get 1 out of 3.

You have an old SC-RR. It ain't gonna be cheap, it ain't gonna be reliabile. Hell it takes 15 seconds to do a 1/4 mile, so it isnt fast either.

Why the hell haven't you gotten rid of this thing?!?!?

My Ride
    Lease

Would you be able to post the 1st shops work order/receipt/invoice? (Censor private info of course) @Kloubek

My Ride
    Has wheels

I don't think the questions you've asked are unreasonable, it's just the proof part, how do you truly prove it? That's the unfortunate part of the equation.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    $3k on the starting/charging/batt system does suck, BUT, it also doesn't suck because at least in -40C winter you will be good to go cranking ur brand new starter and big ass battery and not worried about getting stranded PLUS you have heated seats and a heated fucken front windshield while doing it AND once you get going, if you hit a pot hole your air suspension just absorbs the bump instead of transferring it into ur butthole PLUS you get to look down from your leather wrapped cocoon on shitmobiles like a toyota CHR that Enterprise tries to tell me is an SUV which it clearly is not AND you save the environment super fast with your gas v8 AND gas lid is on the right side so you can just tell ur wife to fill the gas while you plug into obdII and clear the christmas tree of codes #brightside
    My fav post so far.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Go for a joy ride when baseball-sized hail is hitting central AB.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast