Quantcast
Solar Panels - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panels

My Ride
    G05

Default Solar Panels

Has anyone done solar panels for their homes? What are you thoughts for the pros and cons? The solar panel company also claims that it will pay for itself and increase resale value by 5% (thoughts?)

kicking the idea around as there's rebates and government is giving free loans for it....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd inspect those payback claims very closely and verify each and every assumption. Actually, I'd love to double check their math with you if you wanted.
    Haven't done it myself, but always interested in various energy sources.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Whats your usage case? Are you planning on having panels that feed your house direct and then shift surplus back into the grid? Or are you going to have energy storage on site? Your home orientation/exposure and roof angle will impact how much energy your get.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone done solar panels for their homes? What are you thoughts for the pros and cons? The solar panel company also claims that it will pay for itself and increase resale value by 5% (thoughts?)

kicking the idea around as there's rebates and government is giving free loans for it....
    Over 30 years @ $0.99 kw/hr, does not include cost of replacing panels @ 10 year mark.

My Ride
    G05

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'd inspect those payback claims very closely and verify each and every assumption. Actually, I'd love to double check their math with you if you wanted.
    Haven't done it myself, but always interested in various energy sources.
    I will grab some snips later to share and you can go at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    Whats your usage case? Are you planning on having panels that feed your house direct and then shift surplus back into the grid? Or are you going to have energy storage on site? Your home orientation/exposure and roof angle will impact how much energy your get.
    Yeah. My roof is pretty idea. Most of it's South and West facing and can get some good panel coverage on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Over 30 years @ $0.99 kw/hr, does not include cost of replacing panels @ 10 year mark.
    Fair. The company that I was chatting to does have a 25 year guarantee.

My Ride
    V8s

Lol @ increase resale value.

My Ride
    G05

Here are some of the numbers with the roof pitch. Bottom side is south and the back side is west facing.

Name:  assumption.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  64.8 KBName:  Numbers.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  36.5 KBName:  roof.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  27.7 KB

With 28 panels you actually have a good chance of making your money back.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    Here are some of the numbers with the roof pitch. Bottom side is south and the back side is west facing.

Name:  assumption.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  64.8 KBName:  Numbers.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  36.5 KBName:  roof.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  27.7 KB
    Drop your summer sales to the grid from 25.8 to 9c.

Add double-triple time for payback.

Don’t forget to include new shingles. If your roof shingle life span has 10 years left, you need to factor in disassembly and re install of solar panels after new shingles. +5-7k.

I’ve looked into this a lot, and very interested. I’d go the power wall with old Nissan Leaf batteries and use a third party company for sale of my power as a micro generator.

Edit: is your graph from enmax’s solar tool?

More edit: pro tip, make fucking sure your energy usage is as high as possible for the few months leading up to your system contracts. They won’t let you be a net positive exporter of power as a micro generator. That means, you can’t consistently make more power than your average/peak energy usage and sell to the grid constantly.
    Last edited by Darkane; 08-03-2022 at 07:06 PM.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Here is my thread with some data for you.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412...with-some-data

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post

Great thread! Thank you for the data.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Now that you’ve had it a few years, has production changed? Has efficiency decreased due to dirty panels?

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Not noticeably. It's been really hot the last little while, which does decrease the panel efficiency, but I have seen peak power values in the last few days of 6339w and checking some random days from April I still have days at 6592w, which is still over the spec of the 6300w system. I have had both inverters of the system replaced under warranty and Jesse my solar guy with Lexand electric is amazing. Total lifetime production is currently at 27,700kwh. I don't run the payback calculations, but as electricity becomes more expensive, the break even time gets closer. Over the last few years I've also gone through Tesla ownership and now have a plug-in Cayenne e-hybrid so the system offsets the fuel costs more now than it did when I first got the solar system. The only habits I've really tried to change are when I know that I'll have the car in the garage during the daytime, I won't charge it at night. Instead I'll wait till the sun is shining.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm an oil and gas guy for work, but I'm a huge believer 8n the technology of solar generation.

My Ride

Not noticeably. It's been really hot the last little while, which does decrease the panel efficiency, but I have seen peak power values in the last few days of 6339w and checking some random days from April I still have days at 6592w, which is still over the spec of the 6300w system. I have had both inverters of the system replaced under warranty and Jesse my solar guy with Lexand electric is amazing. Total lifetime production is currently at 27,700kwh. I don't run the payback calculations, but as electricity becomes more expensive, the break even time gets closer. Over the last few years I've also gone through Tesla ownership and now have a plug-in Cayenne e-hybrid so the system offsets the fuel costs more now than it did when I first got the solar system. The only habits I've really tried to change are when I know that I'll have the car in the garage during the daytime, I won't charge it at night. Instead I'll wait till the sun is shining.
    Put together a cheap power wall with used leaf batteries. Use those to charge the cayenne.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I would love to get some kind of battery for the house. Do you have details about how people have done leaf batteries? I asked Kuby energy for a quote on a Tesla Powerwall install and the price was bananas at like $25k. That one will never pay for itself, but I think battery backups for houses will continue to see price decreases as battery tech continues to improve.

My Ride

I would love to get some kind of battery for the house. Do you have details about how people have done leaf batteries? I asked Kuby energy for a quote on a Tesla Powerwall install and the price was bananas at like $25k. That one will never pay for itself, but I think battery backups for houses will continue to see price decreases as battery tech continues to improve.

He has good videos on the topic.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

What the DIY constraints in Canada? It would make sense to have your Fridge and server room run off battery at night.

I am just putting together my spreadsheet for usage to get some quotes.

The only thing I know about batteries is that my 4 year old laptop has about 1/3 the life as it did when new, as in when new, I could run on battery for say 6 hours and now I can only get 2 hours

Are the battery banks for houses the same?

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    What the DIY constraints in Canada? It would make sense to have your Fridge and server room run off battery at night.

I am just putting together my spreadsheet for usage to get some quotes.
    Do you have this data points and if so are you willing to share?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast