Switching jobs regret - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Switching jobs regret

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd start by fucking her or her dad.
    Now I'm gonna go into the weekend with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Use all those years of experience to help her shape the role. It makes her job easier and your job better.
    That is what I started to do, I made some suggestions on the flow of information and training and looks like it was received very well! Will be some growing pains but could be a chance to get recognized.

I'd start by fucking her or her dad.
    This man knows how to climb the ranks.

I'd could have prob been pretty high up at Home Depot if I would have stayed and kept sleeping with my old boss - She's District HR now, lol
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

It's who you know and who you blow.

It's who you know and who you blow.

I could use a man like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Toilet_X View Post
    I could use a man like you.
    And he means "use" in the biblical sense.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I was working at a company for about 10 years and moving around internally was very hard to do and pay increases were minimal.
    Identical situation. I am looking around externally but its incredibly competitive and I'm also being extremely careful/picky about opportunities to pursue. In a situation like this it can feel like 'anything would be better than where I'm at' but I've seen the majority of colleagues who have left get chewed up and spit out by their new employer in a few short months. Most are on to their 2nd or 3rd gig since leaving. Pick the devil you know vs the one you don't.

Being a bit further along in my career now I've learned to be just as picky and do just as much research on the position/leader as they would to you. Even more important money is your time and you'll be spending most of it at your new job with your team so you better understand what you're getting into. Ask tough questions and do reconnaissance by talking to current and/or past members of the team to get the real story.

That being said don't feel too bad because a career is a long road and chances are we'll all eventually step into a bad situation at one point or another. Like others have said keep all your doors open. Look elsewhere and potentially even at your old employer. Assuming you left on good terms you have an advantage for future openings because being there for 10 years you have a built in network and understand the company much better than someone new. In the meantime try to make the best of a bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Identical situation. I am looking around externally but its incredibly competitive and I'm also being extremely careful/picky about opportunities to pursue. In a situation like this it can feel like 'anything would be better than where I'm at' but I've seen the majority of colleagues who have left get chewed up and spit out by their new employer in a few short months. Most are on to their 2nd or 3rd gig since leaving. Pick the devil you know vs the one you don't.

Being a bit further along in my career now I've learned to be just as picky and do just as much research on the position/leader as they would to you. Even more important money is your time and you'll be spending most of it at your new job with your team so you better understand what you're getting into. Ask tough questions and do reconnaissance by talking to current and/or past members of the team to get the real story.

That being said don't feel too bad because a career is a long road and chances are we'll all eventually step into a bad situation at one point or another. Like others have said keep all your doors open. Look elsewhere and potentially even at your old employer. Assuming you left on good terms you have an advantage for future openings because being there for 10 years you have a built in network and understand the company much better than someone new. In the meantime try to make the best of a bad situation.
    Appreciate the advice. I think it was just a big adjustment for me, leaving familiar territory and friends behind but at the time it felt like it was my only option to get ahead.

I have reached out to the first group I was in at my old company and the manager is definitely open to bringing me back but there isn't any openings at the moment. They informed me that we will keep in touch as changes in her group are going to be happening.

I'm the meantime I will try to make the best of this new role. Additional experience doesn't hurt anyone nor does making more money. No lesson in life is free and this is an eye opener.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can sorta relate, but for different reasons. I left a job at the most stable and successful Canadian energy companies in 2015, and my career has been in chaos ever since, and I haven't made even 75% of the money I did there, and usually closer to 50%. Now from a financial and stability perspective, leaving there was a mistake.

However, it was not a good fit for me, and I never think I made the wrong choice in terms of knowing myself and my preferences and my best fit career choices.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I can sorta relate, but for different reasons. I left a job at the most stable and successful Canadian energy companies in 2015, and my career has been in chaos ever since, and I haven't made even 75% of the money I did there, and usually closer to 50%. Now from a financial and stability perspective, leaving there was a mistake.

However, it was not a good fit for me, and I never think I made the wrong choice in terms of knowing myself and my preferences and my best fit career choices.
    But without that move you wouldn't have been able to start your art room Only Fans extravaganza.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

However, it was not a good fit for me
    Money is great. Money is awesome. But if the job you work to make that money makes you uncomfortable and unsettled day in, day out, it's going to limit your happiness. And that's something that money can't buy. (Though it helps)

Since starting my current job some 16 months ago, I've been headhunted for gigs making some pretty impressive coin. (By my standards, anyway). Yet, the fit at my current location is damn near perfect, and I'm not willing to give that up in order to make another 30-50k... as sweet as that extra sounds. What does that bring me if I am super stressed every day, and have less time to spend with my family? And, let's face it gents, we're all getting older. The timeframe remaining to set everything "right" is finite, so there's no point in wasting it. Find something you enjoy, and stick with it - regardless of the fact you *could* or *did* make more.

Meh. At this stage in my career once I move on I'm just going to pick the highest paying job.

My Ride
    *The First*

I think New Boss is blowing smoke and nothing is going to change. It's most likely that New Boss has nowhere near enough power to swing the types of fundamental changes that would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I think New Boss is blowing smoke and nothing is going to change. It's most likely that New Boss has nowhere near enough power to swing the types of fundamental changes that would be needed.
    Not really a crazy opinion, any boss in middle management has limited capabilities to do SFA except take shit from upper management.

Certainly OP should give time for the job to get into gear, but if it hasn't happened in a total time of a year from start, it isn't changing and he should definitely move on.
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

I don't think my current manager was up to speed on my current job as it was a role that was in another group. As he sits in with me on the training even himself is thinking wtf. No process documents, spreadsheets that link to multiple places with multiple owners. It's a gong show

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    Not really a crazy opinion, any boss in middle management has limited capabilities to do SFA except take shit from upper management.

Certainly OP should give time for the job to get into gear, but if it hasn't happened in a total time of a year from start, it isn't changing and he should definitely move on.
    A year to get into gear? haha holy shit. Sounds like a baseline set by experience working in government.

A year to get into gear? haha holy shit. Sounds like a baseline set by experience working in government.
    I guess I used that term wrong. I meant more "feel in sync" with his job and roll. Anytime I've switched jobs, it's always taken 6 odd months to really feel as part of the company/team.
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

Those are the top performers. Source: City employee
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2