Quantcast
General contractor for house build - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: General contractor for house build

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    9

    Default General contractor for house build

    Going to be building an infill with with someone I know. We are both moving into the perspective sides.

    We are doing it as a joint venture where we pay cost for materials but he is charging me 40k to be the general contractor for my side (he's a small home builder himself)

    Is 40k reasonable?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    8,311
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    This is an excellent idea
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    DT 780
    My Ride
    LEXUS LX470
    Posts
    1,232
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Seems weird if you are building duplex, at same time, with same subs, and same materials, that there would be a 40k delta in the amount of work for the gc
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Lease
    Posts
    3,189
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Put in a clause where you get to pick which side after they’re built.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems weird if you are building duplex, at same time, with same subs, and same materials, that there would be a 40k delta in the amount of work for the gc
    Each side has been customized to our liking and life style and my take is that normally he would be charging regular customer not his cost on building supplies and I guess that's his business and nobody does anything for free

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, Echo RS, P71
    Posts
    7,033
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is an excellent idea
    +1 please post results.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    +1 please post results.
    Absolutely.
    We took a risk and purchased the property last year and it was zoned rc1. We went through the process to get it rezoned RC2.

    We submitted our plans to the city and awaiting building permits to start the tear down.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile
    Posts
    2,249
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Does he have a website/portfolio?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    281
    Rep Power
    8

    Default



    Me righ noa
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,736
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is an excellent idea


    Took the words right out of my mouth.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,965
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is an excellent idea
    Agreed.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,362
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Just watch out for the hidden cameras, he's gonna watch you jabjab.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,986
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Glory holes, but no vaccine holes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Oil boom
    Posts
    11,315
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Will he pay you $40k if you hire a reputable GC? Because that's sounds better in every way.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's
    Posts
    6,416
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Separate GC for each side?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    3,273
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    If he's actually an established builder with experience there's nothing wrong with 40K, it's a pretty ok deal IMO. Smaller build and flip infill guys should net 10% in their pocket on projects like that. More is great, less is you're doing it wrong. 40K is less than 10% of end value I would assume.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Separate GC for each side?
    On an attached? Never lol
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he's actually an established builder with experience there's nothing wrong with 40K, it's a pretty ok deal IMO. Smaller build and flip infill guys should net 10% in their pocket on projects like that. More is great, less is you're doing it wrong. 40K is less than 10% of end value I would assume.

    - - - Updated - - -



    On an attached? Never lol
    We are trying to keep the budget of 750k each side so with that math , typically a GC would charge around 75k. Does seem like an alright deal and all invoices for materials are going to be transparent where as I'm sure some builders tack on extra fees on top of potential upgrades.

    I had a friend purchase a condo from Shane homes and they charged him 1k for a ceiling fan to be put in his room

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport
    Posts
    2,765
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    I'm my own GC and let me tell you, shit is not very fun, so pay the man, especially if he knows what he is doing.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm my own GC and let me tell you, shit is not very fun, so pay the man, especially if he knows what he is doing.
    absolutely, I'm just trying to gauge what it generally costs because the times I have built before it was through a builder who had pre existing floor plans and lots with set prices and I'm sure their profits are all caked into the final price.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    3,273
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are trying to keep the budget of 750k each side so with that math , typically a GC would charge around 75k. Does seem like an alright deal and all invoices for materials are going to be transparent where as I'm sure some builders tack on extra fees on top of potential upgrades.

    I had a friend purchase a condo from Shane homes and they charged him 1k for a ceiling fan to be put in his room
    You say he's a small home builder himself. If he is, and one whose finished product you've seen and trust then 40K is a fine deal. If he's NOT reputable and is just working for a year doing this and winging it, then it's a little much IMO.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for General Contractor

    By superflychief in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 09-02-2013, 04:36 PM
  2. General Contractor for Big Job?

    By Kor in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 10-27-2012, 01:16 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM
  4. Anyone know of a general contractor

    By black_2.5RS in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 07-11-2008, 07:55 PM
  5. LF: General Contractor

    By topmade in forum Careers
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 05-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •