Quantcast
Working as a "mechanic" with no license - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Working as a "mechanic" with no license

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Default Working as a "mechanic" with no license

So I may have an opportunity to so some mechanical automotive work in a shop to make up hours for other work when not busy.

Now the shop is AMVIC certified and the owner says having unlicensed mechanics is ok because of their insurance policies they have in place.

Now I know a few of you work or have worked in this industry and curious what your thoughts are on this or have any feedback.

I am not trying to say its not allowed I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered and not breaking any laws.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

You should be considered an apprentice and work under a red seal tech if that’s the case.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

It's not your ass it's the shops, but as long as they have ONE red seal jman in the shop the other guys don't have to be licensed. For it to be more legit they'd have to at least sign you as an apprentice but I don't think it's a huge issue.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not your ass it's the shops, but as long as they have ONE red seal jman in the shop the other guys don't have to be licensed. For it to be more legit they'd have to at least sign you as an apprentice but I don't think it's a huge issue.
    This sounds accurate.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Interesting that by a rule like that a mechanic shop could have a bunch of kids running around with wrenches working on peoples vehicles.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Interesting that by a rule like that a mechanic shop could have a bunch of kids running around with wrenches working on peoples vehicles.
    It was on this day that firebane learned of Canadian Tire automotive centers.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    *The First*

Interesting that by a rule like that a mechanic shop definitely has a bunch of kids running around with wrenches working on peoples vehicles.
    Fixt^

It's not that crazy, because they have to have enough professionals monitoring/checking/completing the work that the shop maintains high enough quality to stay in business.
    It's sort of like engineers and EIT's*

*EIT now stands for negligently uneducated slave in Nanjing, right??...

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

This is how it was when I apprenticed (many, many years ago). I could do anything in the shop as long as there was a red seal mechanic in the shop.

My Ride
    Trucks

That’s how every trade operates. It’s the only way to train new people and have a profitable business.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Every lube place, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Why? Oil change and tire places may not even have a jman on site. I wouldn't get hung up on it, a ticket doesn't mean much with regards to your ability to work on cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

No you are not breaking laws working on cars and not being licensed... The shop needs to have a journeyman on staff to get AMVIC certification if it is a repair shop and not just specialty services (ie tires, accessories etc).

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I worked as a mechanic and engine machinist, no formal training, over a 6-7 year period at Davenport ~20-ish years ago. This isn’t anything new and it’s the norm especially with the trades.

This probably said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    That’s how every trade operates. It’s the only way to train new people and have a profitable business.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Thanks for all the replies. Coming out of working in the IT industry for over 20 years and decided to switch careers and be more close to home.

Just wanted to get some background information from those who have or were in the industry.

Definitely had a chuckle on the Canadian Tire comment.

My Ride
    changes every year

Thanks for all the replies. Coming out of working in the IT industry for over 20 years and decided to switch careers and be more close to home.

Just wanted to get some background information from those who have or were in the industry.

This is strathmore or calgary?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Strathmore

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Strathmore
    You can start on some cool Range Rovers

My Ride
    E46

Coming from IT, that is probably going to benefit you.

Be very selective on where you work. The first few years in the trade is when you will form all of your habits. Like how clean and organized you are, the quality of work that you do, how many fucks you will give.

How the shop pays it's technicians will directly impact you. Look for a shop that pays hourly. You want a mentor that actually has time to slow down and teach you. If they pay flat rate, the technician is loosing money off his pay to teach you. Dealerships are staunch die hard supporters of flat rate, where most aftermarket shops will pay hourly.

Technology and automotives had always gone hand in hand. Coming from IT, you have an awesome opportunity to crush it in this industry. Vehicles are no longer low tech mechanical devices, they are massive rolling super computers. Understanding machine learning, communication networks, and electricity down to the molecular level is going to greatly benefit you. It is hard work and will take a few years before you see a return. It took about 10 years in the trade before I felt that I had any sort of competency.

The automotive repair industry is the wild west, we have no rules. In 20 years of fixing cars, I have never seen anyone from AMVIC, Alberta transportation, Canada transportation, granted I don't put myself into positions that I would have to. With the introduction of autonomy, I think that will change.

I have had a very rewarding career fixing vehicles. I hope that do also.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Flexray View Post
    Coming from IT, that is probably going to benefit you.

Be very selective on where you work. The first few years in the trade is when you will form all of your habits. Like how clean and organized you are, the quality of work that you do, how many fucks you will give.

How the shop pays it's technicians will directly impact you. Look for a shop that pays hourly. You want a mentor that actually has time to slow down and teach you. If they pay flat rate, the technician is loosing money off his pay to teach you. Dealerships are staunch die hard supporters of flat rate, where most aftermarket shops will pay hourly.

Technology and automotives had always gone hand in hand. Coming from IT, you have an awesome opportunity to crush it in this industry. Vehicles are no longer low tech mechanical devices, they are massive rolling super computers. Understanding machine learning, communication networks, and electricity down to the molecular level is going to greatly benefit you. It is hard work and will take a few years before you see a return. It took about 10 years in the trade before I felt that I had any sort of competency.

The automotive repair industry is the wild west, we have no rules. In 20 years of fixing cars, I have never seen anyone from AMVIC, Alberta transportation, Canada transportation, granted I don't put myself into positions that I would have to. With the introduction of autonomy, I think that will change.

I have had a very rewarding career fixing vehicles. I hope that do also.
    The situation I landed in is a really unique one.

I am actually the tow truck driver (in training) for the company and because they would rather pay the driver hourly instead of commission, the time not driving is spent helping with repairs and such.

So I have been learning a lot and enjoying it so far.

But I definitely didn't think how my background in IT work and such could crossover into the mechanic side of things.