Quantcast
New Alberta law to pay contractors on time - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Alberta law to pay contractors on time

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

So where are the laws about contractors doing shit on time? My contractor went MIA...he better have a good excuse. Luckily I still owe him some money so I am sure he will turn up.

Been waiting three months for an asphalter to finish a job. Insane queues to get anything done nowadays.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So where are the laws about contractors doing shit on time? My contractor went MIA...he better have a good excuse. Luckily I still owe him some money so I am sure he will turn up.
    Definitely just wait him out. Really he has done you a favour.

Easy thing is to remember with trades, a good rule of thumb is to keep in mind it is WHEN, not IF a bender occurs.

Oh yea, and never pay them before weekends/long weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If this applies to consumers getting home work done ... feels like this is just going to lead to more scams by shit contractors. Do small bit of the work, push hard to get their invoice paid now at 28 days and then disappear. Hopefully there's some reasonable rules to it in terms of not applying to partial work.

I don't think this really applies to plebs, those aren't construction contracts you're signing.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I don't think this really applies to plebs, those aren't construction contracts you're signing.
    Correct, mostly as it relates to monthly draws on longer term contracts.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Anyone could already put a lien, on anyway. It's painfully easy and liens are often a terrible way of obtaining payment.

Attachment 108675
    That's known as the nuclear option, I don't know anyone that has that and then been called back for more work afterwards. The other problem with the lien is that there is a window of time to apply it which is often shorter than the time some companies payment terms are. You wait it out past the 45 days hoping they are going to be honourable and nothing comes and you're SOL. I am glad to see this, tired of being used as bank by companies much larger than my own.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    That's known as the nuclear option, I don't know anyone that has that and then been called back for more work afterwards. The other problem with the lien is that there is a window of time to apply it which is often shorter than the time some companies payment terms are. You wait it out past the 45 days hoping they are going to be honourable and nothing comes and you're SOL. I am glad to see this, tired of being used as bank by companies much larger than my own.
    You would know that portion far better than I.
    My experience has been with larger~ish companies and they slap liens on as a precursor to lawsuits (so as you said, "nuclear option") but their claims were crazy.

I recall a concrete contractor small biz that used to lien shitty builders that didn't pay him and it did precisely fuck all.

My Ride
    4x4

Did they throw in anything to address the 10% holdback discount?

Deficiencies holdback - but half the companies out there just took it as a discount and you'd be fighting for it's release for years, even if your punchlist was cleared.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Did they throw in anything to address the 10% holdback discount?

Deficiencies holdback - but half the companies out there just took it as a discount and you'd be fighting for it's release for years, even if your punchlist was cleared.
    Extended hold back from 45 days to 60 days......this is a big piss off for small/medium business who can have a large chunk of money tied up due to the hold back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Interested to see how this plays out down the road, you see/hear stories of contractors getting paid and never to be heard from again when there's issues or they get paid and never complete the work.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tion-1.6567464

"After years of advocacy by the construction industry, Alberta now has legislation in effect to help contractors and subcontractors get paid on time.

The province's new Prompt Payment and Construction Lien Act is intended to address ballooning wait times for payment on construction contracts, said Service Alberta Minister Nate Glubish.

Over the years, Glubish said the average time frame for payment on a contract has grown from 40 days to 75 days. At times, contractors and subcontractors have had to wait more than three months to get paid for their work, Glubish said.

"What we've had here in Alberta up until now was the Wild West," Glubish told CBC Calgary. "Now that we have a clear set of rules, everyone's going to play by the same rules, and I'm cautiously optimistic that we will be in a very good position going forward."

The new legislation, which was formerly known as the Builders' Lien Act, requires owners to pay contractors within 28 days of receiving an invoice. "

There are definite scumbags out there who have to be hunted down to pay so I see why this is coming forth, but interested to see how this pans out for both sides of the customer/contractor

FYI in general regarding this as well I suppose.
    I haven't read into this much yet, but I viewed it as a good thing initially. As a once contractor myself, I know plenty of guys and companies getting screwed because corporations take 6 months to pay some times. When you are a small business and relying on being paid every 2 weeks when you invoice, this can hurt pretty bad when you go do a job at some site that all of a sudden puts a 6 month wait on your income when you're not prepared for it. And worse yet, some corporations just flat out don't pay, because they know the little guy is going to struggle to come after them for it.

If anything this bill seems like one of the few things the government actually should do. Protect the average persons rights and livelihood from large corporations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2