Quantcast
Remove Roof Awning in front of Entrance? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Remove Roof Awning in front of Entrance?

Default Remove Roof Awning in front of Entrance?

I'm looking for opinions on what to do with this bulit-in awning off the front door of my unit. It has been drooping over time and recently I was getting my roof done and when the roofers attempted to replace the shingles on this piece they noticed that it was not structurally sound and did not work on it. I reached out to some framers and they told me that the support beam this piece of roof was attached to had broken and warped. They also added that when it was built they had used a 1" by 10" backer board where it should have been a 2" by 10". The framer indicated it would be costly to rebuild this section of the roof or another cost efficient solution would be to remove it entirely and replace it with siding. I've attached a picture to give a better idea and if I were to remove it apart from not having cover for the elements is there anything else I should consider?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Assuming there's no venting or anything running through that section, physical removal is easy. But re-weatherproofing that spot is going to be a concern.

Also, is that a duplex? You probably need both sides the same, or the transition will be complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

No venting or anything that I am aware of running through it. It is a multiplex, the framer said he can cut the middle portion by the gutter there and close it off with facia. The framer is going to apply vinyl siding and make it flush. I am just curious if there is code/by-law requirements I am not considering or for that matter any other considerations I should take into account.

Look at 3519 Morley Tr NW.
    That house added a small overhang on the front door. This keeps the elements out of the front door from dripping down right onto the door stoop.
    No need to go all the way across the front window. Just make sure the window caulking is good or redo it. Or could add a metal drip edge over the window.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're worried about the codes... No railing on the front entrance area.