Quantcast
2022 - 2023 snowboarding and ski thread - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 - 2023 snowboarding and ski thread

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Haha, no worries I’ve got tons of super secret stashes!

It’s been really bad this season to be honest. I’ve been up about 15 days and only 2 of them had good visibility. The only trick is to come in march. Still great storm cycles and not nearly as many Big White Outs.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

The snow is absolutely fantastic at Apex today and still dumping when we left. Going to be a good week up there.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

It’s definitely going to be the week of the year for the interior. Got about 30cm today at big white and looking like another 60+cm by Tuesday evening.

Stoked but had a gnarly compression today and hoping my back is in good order for the next few days haha

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

40+cm potentially for Nelson rumoured, can’t wait! Didn’t bring my powder board, might have to ride my split board on resort

Name:  903F5961-E566-4F36-8400-B2EAB3C3822F.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  107.8 KB
    Last edited by finboy; 02-19-2023 at 09:30 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Very nice setup Finboy, tell us about it. Looks like some fantastic snow!
    @BavarianBeast everywhere around here looks great this week. Thinking about using my reciprocal pass and heading to Silverstar on Tuesday

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Looks juicy up there on the split!

I would be surprised if it isn’t the storm of the year! Should be good there @xstasy ! Never been a fan of the terrain in silver star for snowboarding but I’m sure there are some good spots somewhere. The double blacks there are pretty mellow comparatively to elsewhere

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very nice setup Finboy, tell us about it. Looks like some fantastic snow!
    @BavarianBeast everywhere around here looks great this week. Thinking about using my reciprocal pass and heading to Silverstar on Tuesday
    Board is a Korua tranny finder split, really cool engineering to allow skinning up with the board still in board mode. I went with the brand new union charger bindings. Easy transitions and feel just like a normal board on the way down.

Day 2 was up at Kokanee pass, that road can be absolutely sketchy and has no cell reception to boot. With that said, great snow up there and I can see why parking was in high demand. The deep persistent layers from earlier in the season have settled down, so there was only 1 lane that was triggered under a pit test and it didn’t propagate further than the column so riding was good and relatively safe.

Taking my course out in bc was recommended and I quite enjoyed it as we did 2 field days over the standard 1 class room / 1 field day. It got us an opportunity to try some much more complex terrain and simulations. I will definitely come back out for my ast2 after I get some more field experience. I’m going to be heading out with splitboardHQ when I get back to calgary, and hope to see what kananaskis and lake Louise area have to offer right now given how crappy sunshine has been this season.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

If you’re planning on touring out in the Rockies I’d recommend your AST2 out here. Ya it’s mostly terrain management which doesn’t depend as much on stability but the kootenay guys simply don’t have to deal with the normal complexity of snowpack. Deep persistent are a way of life here

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Definitely wouldn’t be going out in the Rockies without more experienced (ast2+) people. This course has shown me there is much to learn and many more days needed on hill.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Sorry I meant it as if doing your course, do it where you’re most likely to ski. You can definitely ski here with AST1, just know that it’s plenty spooky (and kinda shitty)

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Throwin down some illegal grabs

Name:  F931C3A4-903E-4D54-B430-3DC8109C8FBF.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  127.0 KB

About 45cm fallen since yesterday

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Where in Calgary is the best for boot fitting, now that Lou's is closed? Did any of his people migrate to other shops?

I need either a small punch or a grind medial ankle/heel area, possibly increase the malleolus pocket a bit on both boots and looking for new liners. New boots have kinda shit liners that are hitting a nerve, and are sliding inside the boot. Old liners (same brand and size) fit ok but are hacked up, covered in foam, with eliminator tongues and sliding around in the new shells. Not sure why both liners are sliding inside the shell, that's a new one for me.

Bought online so no after sales. Usually a bad idea but I was told the same plug was used for both my old boot and the new boot, other than a larger malleolus pocket and navicular pocket. Seems about right so I think the boots will work out (skied with little pain in my old liners).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Techno-Sport?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

have had good luck with Ski West, and they're now doing out of shop purchased bootfitting

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    have had good luck with Ski West, and they're now doing out of shop purchased bootfitting
    I'll probably give them a call and check their prices vs Techno-sport. They are much further away than Techno-sport but if they are comparable then that should work. I think they also carry Intuition liners where as I think Techno-sport carries Sidas wraps.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Bit of a rant here.

Couple friends, a pro shred, and a shop owner recently posted about Eddie Bauer. They just dropped their entire Athlete program. https://www.eddiebauer.com/campaign/guides
    If you're not familiar, the amount of product development from pro teams is immeasurable. That's beyond the image & brand-marketing, with podiums, first descents and SocMed notoriety.
    It's why I'm such a proponent against, the likes of the fly-by Culture Vultures, like Montec/DopeSnow etc. Shit's wack. They don't re-invest into the sport. In a previous lifetime, an old pro shred pal and I had a video production company, and we only took on sponsors that were good for snowboarding.

If you still want a dope flannel, just get a Filson. They make a very good product, and re-invest into partners, outdoorsmen, and organizations.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

TIL Eddie Bauer had anything to do with ski/snowboard/alpine gear

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I think I’d still prefer my Mom as a sponsor over EB

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

After being super pumped about getting back into Snowboarding this year it's been a terrible season for me in Spain. That was, until yesterday.

There was finally a storm Thursday so I re-arranged my life to get to a small mountain called Alto Campoo yesterday.

The mountain itself isn't great but it was honestly one of the best ski days in my life - most Spaniards are beginners so they spent all day on the icy groomers leaving fresh pow for me to lap from the lift all day! One skier was complaining to me about how shitty the conditions were while I was enjoying 20cms of freshies lap after lap

This was after 4 hours when my legs were completely finished... the majority, if not all of these tracks are mine. I felt like I was cat skiing from the lift for the low entry of a 37€ pass!

Name:  PXL_20230224_111614333.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  176.4 KB

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Awesome dude! Europe’s year has been more fucked than ours in some ways, glad to see you could get some enjoyment out of it.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast