Quantcast
2022 - 2023 snowboarding and ski thread - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 - 2023 snowboarding and ski thread

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Sometimes the skiing real good and sometimes the skiing real shit but today it was real good.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

...but where?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...but where?
    Sunshine.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Sunshine got a good dump in the middle of the week, weekends have been craaaap
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

I’ve been working on my splitboarding with splitboard hq in town. Between the sugary snow we have in the back country right now, and my inexperience riding with a 20+ pound backpack, progress has been slow. I feel like I’d be an hindrance with more advanced groups and don’t want to put anyone at risk or ruin their planned objectives. Anyone have any tips for getting more laps in that won’t put me in questionable territory? (yes, I have my ast-1 and all the gear).

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Guess it depends what you’re looking to work on.. skinning? If skinning, go ski the uphill route at Castle (don’t poach the cat skiing zone unless you have a partner). Castle region has avoided that facet garbage. Can ride the groomers with a bag on, and still practice your uphill. Fact of the matter is you won’t get laps in with ski touring to practice the downhill all that effectively, and conditions are generally very tough this year. If looking for more laps, just need to put more time in.. do Chester Lake laps, Rummel through the cut trees has some low key terrain that will give downhill time in questionable conditions. . I think cloudnine does a AST1+ that could be a good addition for you.

Doesn’t splitboard hq do guided days?

I think most people getting into backcountry don’t realize that if you’re a weekend warrior, you’re really stuck on riding whatever the weather gives you, and unless you’re west of golden, out here you better get used to Variable conditions. Ive been on the bench since November so only have 3 backcountry days this year, but only 1/3 have been good powder. The other two were quite poor. Learn to love the uphill.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 03-16-2023 at 08:50 AM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Yea splitboard hq does guided tours, i’ve done 2 including Chester which had quite a few slides recently so terrain is very limited. Splitboard HQ’s guided tours are basically done for the season. I’m going to get some more days in Nelson which thankfully has great snow, but since I have no splitboarding buddies in my group, I might hang it up for the backcountry board for the season and hope for better backcountry conditions next year.
    Last edited by finboy; 03-16-2023 at 01:57 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

It might sound obvious, but go HAM on quads and glutes in the gym and you’ll be skinning faster and faster in no time. Insane how much faster a bit of fitness can make you. I don’t do a ton of touring, but when I go out with experienced groups I generally kick everyone’s asses because I’m in the gym a ton.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

I actually have a series coming up with vortex through April and May focused on speed/strength with some aeriel awareness thrown in. something tells me we won’t be having snowboarding in July this year so I’ll be needing to keep my legs in shape in the off season

My Ride
    '14 Taco

So what are you actually wanting more exposure to? Skinning? Downhill in challenging conditions? Terrain? The backcountryyyc group on Facebook seems to have a good partner find trend

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

So what are you actually wanting more exposure to? Skinning? Downhill in challenging conditions? Terrain? The backcountryyyc group on Facebook seems to have a good partner find trend
    Downhill and trees predominantly but the snowpack (at least at Chester) was pretty brutal for both skinning and boarding. Facets and sugary snow went pretty deep. I suspect I’m going to have to look for stuff beyond lake Louise to find anything different.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ya tight tree skiing is kinda mandatory out here, and if you fall anywhere you essentially wallow to the earths surface in facets. Not Much to say other then while it’s a poopy year, it’s usually poopy years in the Rockies… castle was good last weekend but will need a big dump with how warm it is now

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

That is good to know, it’s actually why I’m kind of thankful I’m learning out here as I do fine in open areas, or even tight trees with good snow and multiple line options with no pack. Once I get stuck into tight trees, crap snow and only one pathway seems to be where I’m struggling. More laps I guess, keep grinding on it.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Just don’t do what I did, leave snowboarding and teach yourself to ski… in the backcountry :/

I’m contemplating coming back to split boarding now that hard boots are catching up. One thing I do note from the best splitboarders I ski with, is don’t put your poles away. Your poles will save your butt in shitty snow conditions. I would definitely say that putting time into gladed and trees runs at the resort will improve you in the backcountry way quicker than big wide open zones. If you can ski trees, you can ski a big easy bowl

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Just don’t do what I did, leave snowboarding and teach yourself to ski… in the backcountry :/

I’m contemplating coming back to split boarding now that hard boots are catching up. One thing I do note from the best splitboarders I ski with, is don’t put your poles away. Your poles will save your butt in shitty snow conditions. I would definitely say that putting time into gladed and trees runs at the resort will improve you in the backcountry way quicker than big wide open zones. If you can ski trees, you can ski a big easy bowl
    For sure, I’m glad there is always more to learn and different types of boarding to avoid boredom.

I did the exact same thing as you. Swapped snowboarding to skiing in the BC because I hated with the fuss of dealing with a splitboard, first time back to skiing since I was a pre-teen was on Black Prince.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    I did the exact same thing as you. Swapped snowboarding to skiing in the BC because I hated with the fuss of dealing with a splitboard, first time back to skiing since I was a pre-teen was on Black Prince.
    Ha, i think mine was at Rummel, but black prince would have been soon after. I want to borrow a hardboot setup to see if i can still board since i grew up boarding, but dont want to drop ~2k on a setup without knowing if its good or not. I can ski powder easily, but the shitty variable snow is where i struggle and think could survive better w/ a board (or for bigger lines). My buddy who splitboards is as fast or faster then me on transitions, so see some light at the end of the tunnel

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Downhill and trees predominantly but the snowpack (at least at Chester) was pretty brutal for both skinning and boarding. Facets and sugary snow went pretty deep. I suspect I’m going to have to look for stuff beyond lake Louise to find anything different.
    If you can find someone to go with,

Crystal Ridge has decently broken up terrain, fairly open trees, and mellow slopes that would be good for learning. Its a bit interesting to get past the small shoulder of trees right next to the highway, but there are lots of terrain options.
    Keep in mind that this year, everything with open terrain is going to have some seriously sun-affected snow.
    Ran into this on Nararo shoulder yesterday while on a scouting mission to another objective. Shaded snow was in decent shape, anything that saw the sun was slush on top with facets below..... made for extremely tricky skiing.

Ha, i think mine was at Rummel, but black prince would have been soon after. I want to borrow a hardboot setup to see if i can still board since i grew up boarding, but dont want to drop ~2k on a setup without knowing if its good or not. I can ski powder easily, but the shitty variable snow is where i struggle and think could survive better w/ a board (or for bigger lines). My buddy who splitboards is as fast or faster then me on transitions, so see some light at the end of the tunnel
    Try skiing 3 times after a 20 year hiatus and then attempting the wapta traverse! Even I don't understand how i am not dead.... lol
    Last edited by GT.....O?; 03-20-2023 at 12:06 PM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Tons of good snow to be found in the interior backcountry

Not sure why I can’t embed photos
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 03-20-2023 at 01:02 PM.

My Ride
    Z

Why a 20lb pack? Unless you're overnighting you should be nowhere near that. Maybe with ice axe and a rope/harness
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast