Quantcast
2022 Winter tires - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Winter tires

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default 2022 Winter tires

I've been running the same set of studded Hankook i-Pikes on the SUV for the last 7 winter seasons, they've been great, but it's time for some new tires. I'm leaning towards the NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA 10 SUV I guess they are exclusively sold at Kal Tire now. The only other comparable option I'm finding for pre-studded tires are the Michelin X-Ice North 4

If there's a powder day we head to the mountains to snowboard and I like the studded tire option for this purpose.

What are you guys planning on running for tires this winter season? Any insight on the Nokians vs Michelin?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'll be trying the X-Ice North when the Hakkas wear out on me. Probably another season or 2. I love the Hakkas (also on Hakka 10's) and like previous generations, you just feel invincible all the time. Worst of days, it feels like driving in the rain to me. Nothing else comes close. They just wear down (studs) pretty quickly. On our lighter cars (B250) the studs lasted pretty decent, went 4 winters on them. But on the heavier cars (E wagon and Sienna) you can see how much stud goes away every season till it's nearly rounded. Once it's done, you lose a lot of that ice grip and it feels like a normal winter tire. The E lasted 3 seasons, but really should've replaced after 2. So life of Hakka's on heavy cars is terrible.

I'm a huge fan of Michelin's summer and winter performance tires, so definitely going to give the X-Ice North a shot when I have a chance.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Continental also has the icecontract xtrm which is available studded which seems similar to the ice north. I am a big fan already of the viking contact 7 though I really disliked my continental summers and went michelin.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Continental also has the icecontract xtrm which is available studded which seems similar to the ice north. I am a big fan already of the viking contact 7 though I really disliked my continental summers and went michelin.
    On the E, I was given an offer to buy the continental studded and return it if I didn't like it. First deep freeze hit, wife complained that ABS was going off a lot, traction control as well and disliked it compared to Hakkas on her previous car. Returned that shit and replaced it with Hakkas. Went for a drive and yea, it's night and day difference in grip between the 2 tires. Subjectively, Hakkas had 10-15% more grip on ice. Literally drove both tires on the same day on the same car. It was that noticeable.

Was surprised they let me test it and return it. Some promotion I guess that year that they were pushing.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Cooper discover were absolute shit on my ram 1500 last season. Struggled to perform up roads to ski hills/etc and they were toast after 20,000km…

Any good recommendations for something that can chew through deep snow?
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 09-23-2022 at 08:29 PM.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I have run toyo on my truck for the last 5 years and they did a very good job �� I would buy another set. I was thinking of running a set of hakk r3s not sure

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Cooper discover were absolute shit on my ram 1500 last season. Struggled to perform up roads to ski hills/etc and they were toast after 20,000km…

So far I've tried two different sets of studded winter tires on 3/4 ton trucks. Load Range E Studded Hankook I-pikes were awesome. Long lasting and comfortable ride. I'm currently running Studded Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, they have noticeably much less grip on ice than the Hankooks and a considerably rougher ride (but they look much better than the Hankooks ). If I'm heading up to the ski hill I'll always pick the SUV for traction and comfort over any truck I've owned. The ass end on a truck likes to bounce around on ice.
    Last edited by sxtasy; 09-23-2022 at 09:06 PM.

General Grabber AT2 is the best winter tire for a truck.
    Curious to try the North 4's. Might buy some for the wife's sienna this winter.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm a hardcore Blizzak and done/ guy.
    But I can appreciate that there are comparables. I just like to keep it simple.
    I fucking HATE everything that is Michelin consumer grade due to multiple, consistent experiences. But I'm not deaf when it comes to their winters. Apparently, they are perfectly fine...

My Ride
    NC1

Yes hardcore blizzak guy here too. Ws90 for life. Started from ws15 back in 2003 lol

Tried a few others in between and nope nope nope but haven’t tried nokians but if rage says their the best , probably are , right boss ahaha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Savage Fit needs new winters.

What are the best non studded tires we can go with. Wanted to avoid studs on the garage flooring.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Savage Fit needs new winters.

What are the best non studded tires we can go with. Wanted to avoid studs on the garage flooring.
    Just put down a 2x10 under each side to drive on with studs, no? Or something similar.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Like others have said, Nokian Haks with studs are unbelievable.
    Email [email protected] for a Nokia group buy price.

On my 3/4 ton, I've run Cooper Discoverer M+S, studded for about 4 seasons. They started decent but I'm not impressed with them any more in the snow. Maybe the Nokians spoiled me.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    Cayman

So I was going to buy Continental Viking 7s this week but instead went with Toyo Gsi-6 for my wifes Forester. They had great reviews and the price at $820 with tax (after $70 rebate) balanced and installed was outstanding (I had them put the tires on rims and did not have them installed yet).

btw I am always amazed at the price difference between buying tires at Country Tire on Edmonton Trail vs the quotes that I received from forum sponsors, 1010 tires now that they have a Calgary shop and other big place like Tire Craft, Fountain tire, etc...

last year I got a set of Yokohama IG G075 for my QX50. They felt really good on deep snow and ice that I encountered going to Invermere a few times.
    Last edited by Proyecto2000; 09-23-2022 at 11:39 PM.

Used Hakka R3 SUV on the Odyssey for 4 winter seasons and it's down to 4 mm / where Nokian recommends replacement. Wife finds it alright. I have been using the X-ice 3 on the Fit for 7 winter seasons (low mileage). Switching both to X-Ice Snow this year. Haven't tried studded ones.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Just threw the blizzaks ws80 on the golf to burn them up before my ws90 show up in a week or two. I’m just a huge fan of winter tires in general, I loved the x-ice I had previous. I had hankook I pike on my ram and navigator, the ram they were awsome but the navigator I haven’t liked them.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    Used Hakka R3 SUV on the Odyssey for 4 winter seasons and it's down to 4 mm / where Nokian recommends replacement. Wife finds it alright. I have been using the X-ice 3 on the Fit for 7 winter seasons (low mileage). Switching both to X-Ice Snow this year. Haven't tried studded ones.
    Im an X-Ice fan as they've been overall the best winters for me. Performance and longevity.
    Just burned up my XI3's this summer and will be switching to the X-Ice Snows as well. They've lasted 7 seasons including the covid years.

Wife has Blizzak DM-V2's and and they didn't last too long maybe 3 seasons before the top good layer is gone. She will be switching to X-Ice Snows as well this year.

I got my mom the Viking 7's last year and so far they've performed really well. Just don't know how long they will last.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Continental IceContact XTRM Studded for me this year. Had them last year and they were wicked!

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by GTR_Auto View Post
    Continental IceContact XTRM Studded for me this year. Had them last year and they were wicked!
    Same with me on the new Yukon. Loved the studed Continental XTRM. Maybe better on heaven vehicles??

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Probably sounds like a broken record but duratracs have really really good deep snow performance. You can also get them studded which helps the ice performance.

You using it mostly in BC? I found the duratracs compound fell off a cliff below -25C. But if you are in BC it’s not really a common practice occurrence.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast