Quantcast
Short Term Disability. Am I Still Employed? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Short Term Disability. Am I Still Employed?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Short Term Disability. Am I Still Employed?

So I've been employed at my work for a little over 10 years+. Hired Oct 2013. So my 10 years would of been Oct 2023.

But I went on STD (Short Term Disability) from Oct 2022 - Jan 2023. Back to work February 2023. So 4 months.

When your on STD, are you technically still employed by the company but just paid by benefits?

Reason I ask is, since I'm 10 years employment, now my vacation goes up to 4 weeks from the 3 weeks.

Just want my ducks in a row before I go asking the Controller about this as the vacation pay would have to be changed.

Not sure if it matters but I have many weeks of vacation still un-used from 2021-2022-2023 .
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The unused vacation doesn't factor into any of this. It's shitty that you haven't used it, and you should use it asap, but that's a different discussion.

You should ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Unused vacation pay is typically lost unless they have a policy to roll it over. Use your damn vacation days, why work and not enjoy what you’ve earned?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, nobody should carry over vacation days more than 2 years, even in the most extreme situations. If you can't use them, make them pay you out. If they won't do that, then they basically have expired.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Most company policy for vacation increase is the beginning of the 10th year which would be 2022.

You probably earned it last year.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Most company policy for vacation increase is the beginning of the 10th year which would be 2022.

You probably earned it last year.
    Depends.

My seniority date is November 2013, so that's my 10 years (albeit broken) service date and my extra weeks vacay doesn't kick in til Jan 2024

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Different companies do time of service for vacation entitlement differently. I've seen it a few ways.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    Depends.

My seniority date is November 2013, so that's my 10 years (albeit broken) service date and my extra weeks vacay doesn't kick in til Jan 2024
    This may sound kindergarten, but I’ve had to count years of service on my fingers for HR reps.

It surprises a lot of people. lol.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

This may sound kindergarten, but I’ve had to count years of service on my fingers for HR reps.

It would surprise me if you didn't have to do that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  8apvl9.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  76.0 KB

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Thanks yall. At my work, vacation just rolls over. They wont pay me out, want me to use it but we're always short staffed all the time so I've never booked anything off. Guess I'll just ask my direct manager, then she can ask HR

You would think hitting 10 years, the boss would congratulate you but nada, not even an acknowledgement but at least he remembers my name LOL
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sounds toxic as fuck. Thoughts and prayers.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I took on a new position earlier this fall and my official offer letter stated I only get two weeks of vacation and it didn't have the salary bump everyone else in the department got. I pointed out the HR rep's mistake and he claimed because I was going from a non-union position to a union position, I "start over" cause it's a "new job" despite being with them for almost 20 years and having accrued 5 weeks of vacation a year. Then I pointed out the rest of department who is getting moved into the union in January gets to keep their annual vacation despite their jobs being transitioned into "new" positions, but he stood his ground until his other HR coworkers and management stepped in and corrected him.

His response: I misunderstood the question

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Thanks yall. At my work, vacation just rolls over. They wont pay me out, want me to use it but we're always short staffed all the time so I've never booked anything off. Guess I'll just ask my direct manager, then she can ask HR

You would think hitting 10 years, the boss would congratulate you but nada, not even an acknowledgement but at least he remembers my name LOL
    Sounds like you need to take your vacation and let your employer find out they actually need to hire another person. If I was in that situation I’d give them plenty of notice for the vacation that I was absolutely going to take. They can figure it out.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I took on a new position earlier this fall and my official offer letter stated I only get two weeks of vacation and it didn't have the salary bump everyone else in the department got. I pointed out the HR rep's mistake and he claimed because I was going from a non-union position to a union position, I "start over" cause it's a "new job" despite being with them for almost 20 years and having accrued 5 weeks of vacation a year. Then I pointed out the rest of department who is getting moved into the union in January gets to keep their annual vacation despite their jobs being transitioned into "new" positions, but he stood his ground until his other HR coworkers and management stepped in and corrected him.

lol. Brutal

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Sounds like you need to take your vacation and let your employer find out they actually need to hire another person. If I was in that situation I’d give them plenty of notice for the vacation that I was absolutely going to take. They can figure it out.
    Yup.

Request the vacation time, if you are denied demand to be paid out.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Best use is to use that backlog up in one go.
    If you space it for a week here or there, it'll be pain when you come back and go every damn time. Do a 5 or 6 week vacay and enjoy it.

Stuff will either be forgotten about when you get back, back burnered or it'll be the stuff you should be doing and important.

The STD question. When I was on it, you actually couldn't go on vacation or leave the country. But this was an American based company and a ton of HR bred tape. I couldn't even return to work when I felt better. They wanted the surgeon to sign off liability. He asked me if I'm getting paid and ok financially. Then said, screw it. You can hang out until you're all better.
    WFH wasn't an option either because they said I could fall getting to the desk and my company didn't want to risk being sued for it. Lol.
    Hilarious now. At the time, it sucked mentally. Took me months to feel I was contributing again to the office.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

You are still employed. You can request to have your vacation paid out to that point.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post

Like most people in HR, they think they're really important and twist words, which really meant here "I have no idea what I'm doing."

Which is safe to say that most people in HR have a whiff of an idea of what everyone else in the company does despite hiring for all positions. So for you, "how many years of experience do you have controlling pythons? Was it in an agile way or going down a waterfall?"

OP: Yes you're still an employee because you didn't get an ROE to terminate your employment.
    Last edited by msommers; 12-30-2023 at 10:21 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Omg! You're showing people your Python at work?
    HR is definitely wanting to talk to you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast