Quantcast
Mandatory to identify your race? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory to identify your race?

My Ride
    Ford F150

I'm a Martian princess. Will say so on my next license.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there's a push to collect race-based statistics of "police interactions" to prove, or reduce, systematic racism.
    But, I actually don't think this will help that goal.

I'm also certain that the statistics for what races are convicted of crimes will not be random or equal. So that's going to get ugly.
    Not sure if it's still the case, but I believe at one point the cops where instructed to not include race data on police reports. How's that for a fun anecdote...

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Isn’t it better to eliminate the Indian Treaty Status card if you want equality?
    They don't want equality. They want equity. All the benefits without any of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If the problem is racist cops, I don't see how this helps.
    It helps them know who they can beat the shit out of. Last thing they need is to be knocking over some perceived white guy, only to find out later he is half Moroccan and now you're getting accused of racism. Cops aren't racist, they're just pieces of trash.

My Ride
    ute

"I'm not saying white people are better, but clearly being white is better."

Sad part is I renew my license next month and no way picking your race is setup by then.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Do I get more privileges after I make my "white guy" status official, or less?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Sad part is I renew my license next month and no way picking your race is setup by then.
    Sharpie my man

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Sharpie my man
    But if I write white in black ink is that right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    "I'm not saying white people are better, but clearly being white is better."
    I benefit from white privilege.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Accurate
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    that article is so brief and lazily written that it leaves more questions then it answers. At no point does it clarify how this data is going to help other than Indians need a status card so everyone should have a similar card and it will help them with African Canadian communities but doesn't say why they can't help them right now.

Shows how out of touch our police force is with reality.
    How is the Police Force out of touch? Did you read the article. Its the Police Comission. Not the police. Its made of volunteers in the communtiy.
    The police chief wrote a letter:
    'Edmonton Police Service Chief Dale McFee spoke in favour of the commission writing the letter asking for the driver's licence change.
    "If you look at our African-Canadian community here, there's many different things that they just don't want to be referred to by the wrong community," McFee said.'
    I dont think he woke up and did a super mario punch to the air and said 'thats a good idea'. I am pretty sure parts of the community advocated for that.
    I don't support this. But hey, if the community wants it and others did not stand up against it. Then thats how this came about.

Commissions usually consist of citizens, one or politicians and leadership from the relevant division.

And once again, there is no such thing as race.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Indians?!? Seems we've come full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    How is the Police Force out of touch? Did you read the article. Its the Police Comission. Not the police. Its made of volunteers in the communtiy.
    The police chief wrote a letter:
    I dont think he woke up and did a super mario punch to the air and said 'thats a good idea'. I am pretty sure parts of the community advocated for that.
    I don't support this. But hey, if the community wants it and others did not stand up against it. Then thats how this came about.
    You know dale mcfee that you quoted is the police chief? You realize the police commission is designed to protect and serve the police? I'm going to guess you've never been in front of the police commission before with an issue but they are there for the police not the citizens.

Interesting quote you missed in the article: The vote came after.a presentation.from Stats Canada about its Race Data Project, which is consulting with police services across Canada on how best to collect and use race-based data.

Yes the police commission and our police are out of touch with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    Indians?!? Seems we've come full circle.
    Full medicine wheel.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Full dharmachakra

My Ride
    *The First*

Butter chicken made with KFC.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    You know dale mcfee that you quoted is the police chief? You realize the police commission is designed to protect and serve the police? I'm going to guess you've never been in front of the police commission before with an issue but they are there for the police not the citizens.

Interesting quote you missed in the article: The vote came after.a presentation.from Stats Canada about its Race Data Project, which is consulting with police services across Canada on how best to collect and use race-based data.

Yes the police commission and our police are out of touch with reality.
    Actually I have been in front of the Police Commission. The Comission is not there for the police. It is to ensure governance.

I applied to the Calgary one last year as I have extensive experience working with multiple government agencies, law enforcement from the UK and international. But I did not get in. I thought well whoever got it must have more experience. When I looked at the people that were selected I was deeply dismayed as I dont think tose selected have relevant experience. I raised it councellor Wallott who never got back to me, but he was kind enough to tell me a package was left by the previous council on the people THEY wanted. I highlighted the requirments are biased and unfair to those who are Canadian CITIZENS with extensive international experience. I would like this reformed. Nothing happened.
    I knew this was going to happen. So as a former British Civil Servant I decided to take on this on and work on this to the higher standard I have worked to.
    I belive issues of racisim, sexism, police culture can't be changed by just attacking the police at the Commission or having a BLM agenda. I don't think changes can be done by powerpoint presentations. So I spoke at the comission in February and a few other times over the months. Here is a link. I think there may be recordings: https://www.calgarypolicecommission.ca

I highligted it was a easier for a high school graduate to be a CPS officer. Its harder as mmigrant with experince and easier for me to be a special constable with the Metropolitian police Service of London. I belive the best way to deal with racisim and sexisim to have the police representative of the community it serves. The best form of policing is communtity policing. It has to be respresentative of the community it serves and it allows for bridges to be built and local intellligence to be developed. It allows for learning within the CPS. As a ethnic miniroity. I don't like police being attacked with anti racisim agenda. I like to collaborate and work on actual issues. So when I spoke on this issue. I was contacted by the CPS right away. I was invited to work on the barriers and issues.
    After working with them five recommendations were put to the Justice Minister and he signed off this August. That is huge. Not bad for my hours work.

To date applications are up 17 % from the previous year. Increase in diverse applicants from 32% to 39% of all applications. Considering minorties are about 30% demographic in Calgary, thats is huge significannce. Thats 21% increase from last year. 36% of applicants in Aug were women – YTD average is 21%. 50% of applicants were over 30 Year olds. So we get experience.
    There is much more I can list. But I think this is enough for now. I think forum readers get the picture
    . This is postive news.

I was discriminated against when I tried to apply for the CPS back in 2012 with nonsensical application requirements. Some were still in use as of 2021. I tried to be on the police comission to hold account and bring reforms on such issues. I did not get selected. I have no issue with the Commissioners themselves. The issue is with the selection process and its unfair and biased in my opinion.

I did not complain. I stood up and did someting about it in my own time. My late father got chased and knifed to the face by the National Front in the UK. I have been chased and attacked many times by racisist groups. I have seen my community memebers in the UK and Canada fall into drugs and crime. There is a better way to do this. As a result of me standing up, huge reforms took place in recruitment. This will have significant impact on racisim, sexisim and building local intelligence within the communities in time. That is how you do it, not by complaining and attacking the police. But working and collaborating.
    As a former British Civil Servant. This is the standard to which I worked to. Perhaps City Administration can take notes.
    But the worst part is. This should have been championed and led by elected councellors and the mayor. Especially those that champion issues of racisim and equality. This is thier job. Its not my job to do this, that is the sad part. But hey, if you want something done you have to do it yourself. It now brings to question the integrity of such instiutions and members who lead issues of racisim and equality.

So with in regards to your statement. I politely disagree.

On a secondary note. I encourage anyone to apply to the CPS. Tell your friends and family. I worked with the CPS in bringing these changes. I wanted to be a police officer and bring my experience for reforms. But I could not. But hopefully others can do so now and postive changes can happen just like policing in the UK.
    Don't complain. Get up and get involved.

Tldr ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast