Quantcast
The red light you just hit? It's supposed to get you to the office sooner - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The red light you just hit? It's supposed to get you to the office sooner

Default The red light you just hit? It's supposed to get you to the office sooner

Pretty terrible article as I learned almost nothing new as before reading it. But wanted to get some thoughts on traffic light patterns in Calgary vs other cities. Personally I find the traffic lights are much more of a hinderance compared to many other cities. Also not sure if the infographic considers the volume of traffic relative to the km of roads. Perhaps someone can school me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ight-1.6633586

Mods please move to society / current events thanks

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, calgary traffic is mild to non-existent. Even today, driving into downtown on a pretty bad snow day, I had zero traffic issues.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

There are far more problems than the programming of traffic lights in the City. There are a number of things that contribute to this problem. The biggest is that there are too many road connections. I am going to take an example of something I use every day. John Laurie Blvd between McKnight and Nose Hill Drive is 70km/hr although the road in it's current config probably has a 90 km/hr+ design speed. It has 9 roads that cross it over 11 km. That's a road crossing every 1.2 km. Of the crossings 3 of them are major arterial.

Yet in the past few weeks the City has decided to put traffic lights at Charleswood Drive. The main reason for this is the backup that is caused during peak periods due to left turns in and out of there. Where what should happen is that 19 Street, Charleswood and Brisebois should all be closed to John Laurie and those neighbourhoods should be forced to use Northmount (a collector) to get to 14 Street or Shaganappi for access to John Laurie at the interchange/traffic light. That would improve traffic flow in a straight stretch of road that is meant to move vehicles quickly from one location to another. Instead they put in a traffic light, that requires more lifecycle cost and human resource to manage.

This is just meant as one example. This happens all over the place and is not uncommon in other Cities also. You cannot solve these sorts of stupid design choices through managing traffic lights, it's not practical.

If you want to talk about downtown that's a different sort of issue.

I don't think these traffic problems are big in today's scale, but as we grow they are going to get quite bad later on.

Be glad you have the red/yellow/green pattern times you have.

In Edmonton they are shorter, at the speed limit if you catch a light just right you have to slam on your brakes to not get a redlight ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm pretty obsessive about light timings and patterns, and I don't think what they've said in the article is accurate, or at least, not operational yet.

With a few keystrokes and mouse clicks, staff at the facility can override any of the city's 1,200 traffic signals when necessary: say, when traffic backs up after a Calgary Flames game, or when construction has impacted regular timing.
    I go to a lot of Flames games, and I noticed it's CPS parking their cars and pugged into the corner interface box who's manipulating the lights post game within a few blocks of the dome. I've also driven 6th and 11th ave as an exit point post game, and the light timing is fucking identical to non game nights. I have to basically drive WOT against 3 lights to "beat" the desync from McLeod to 9th St. SW. If I don't beat the desync, I'm literally sitting at a light with zero cross traffic for 2-3 mins on 6th ave at McLeod (which is prioritized) which is a waste of everyone's time.

So yea, there's no fucking way any of this shit is operational or the level of control they claim.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, calgary traffic is mild to non-existent. Even today, driving into downtown on a pretty bad snow day, I had zero traffic issues.
    Last week or week before, something happened further up 14th st or something and nobody is moving on 11th ave out of Downtown crawling at 5kph at quitting time.

Once 14th is cleared, it's smooth sailing onto Crowchild.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

It’s actually true that the engineers can implement the timings from their office. Are they likely to do it after a flames game I would say no. But they definitely have the power to do it for the majority of intersections.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    It’s actually true that the engineers can implement the timings from their office. Are they likely to do it after a flames game I would say no. But they definitely have the power to do it for the majority of intersections.
    That's not what the article says. Article says they can control all of them. Controlling parts of the network isn't very useful, have to control every single path to be effective. We learnt this in GTAV final robbery.

That and they used Flames game as an example haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

The only lights I encounter that are synced on a daily basis are downtown. Sage hill to downtown via shaganappi and crowchild is just red after red unless you are going mega fast.

Obviously they have no control over the 9th st 5th ave sw light based on how it backs up at times.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

My driver doesn't wake me until I'm at my destination so I have yet to experience a red light, well aside from my trips to Amsterdam.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I want to see what farcical explanation the city has for the downtown intersections where they overlap red lights by 10-15 seconds, but enabling the walk lights.

Basically making cars going straight wait longer for literally no reason.

They have been spreading too.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

We all have that person who only uses 5% throttle off the light. No traffic engineering can fix that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    We all have that person who only uses 5% throttle off the light. No traffic engineering can fix that.
    God damned trackhawks
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Northbound 52nd street by Auburn Bay/Mahogany and then west onto Seton Blvd..... Somehow they've engineered this area to hit every red light. Traffic calming?

The biggest problem in my view is the sheer amount of traffic lights being installed everywhere. It's absolutely staggering. Most of these locations a simple 4 way or a roundabout would be 10x more efficient and cost effective.

It's almost as if there's a traffic light installation department at the city and their only kpi is amount of traffic lights installed.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    The biggest problem in my view is the sheer amount of traffic lights being installed everywhere. It's absolutely staggering. Most of these locations a simple 4 way or a roundabout would be 10x more efficient and cost effective.

It's almost as if there's a traffic light installation department at the city and their only kpi is amount of traffic lights installed.
    I only stop for 1/2 the red lights. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post

This has been a major peeve of mine as it has become more prevalent (or at least been a major focus downtown). My examples:

- SB 1 Street SE/Macleod Trail and Riverfront Avenue - I get the need for control because of the targeted increase in pedestrian traffic in that area. But I don't think a traffic light is all that necessary for a single-lane two-way road intersecting with the beginning of a one-way road. I think a pedestrian crossing light is more effective there than stopping all of traffic.

- One block later at the entrance/exit of the Harry Hays parkade - The reasoning I've heard is that the traffic getting in and out of the Harry Hays parkade is tough at the end of the day, but, again, a traffic light seems to be a drastic measure to remedy a very small window of trouble.

-NB Macleod at 13th and 14th Ave SE - Again, a traffic light intersecting with small 3-lane (the ones where there is room for parking on one side of the road and barely enough room for cars going in opposite directions) residential roads.

- 1 St and 13 Ave SW - They added a traffic light here that, I think, actually makes the traffic worse because 13 Ave is barely wide enough opposing traffic. So instead of the 2-way stop sign that allows cars on 13th to move in and out when possible, cars now have to wait and it clogs up that whole area until the light turns green.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

All deliveries under 5 pounds should be done by electric flying drones.

Would be the single greatest improvement in traffic for the entire world.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

The city has given up on believing that drivers know what they're doing.

I can't blame them really.
    Last edited by suntan; 11-07-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast