Quantcast
Dysfunctional Canada Pharma System and Drug Shortages - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dysfunctional Canada Pharma System and Drug Shortages

Default Dysfunctional Canada Pharma System and Drug Shortages

https://www.thestar.com/amp/business...e-problem.html

Paywall bypass
    https://www.textise.net/showText.asp...e-problem.html

It pains me to link a TorStar article, but this is the only one that has actually had any substance to it and I will admit was some properly researched writing.

So TL;dr is that Health Canada is a shitty bureaucratic nightmare? Isn't healthcare a provincial area? Why does Alberta have to worry about importing drugs to Health Canada's standards (like bilingual labelling)?

Is this another area of federal encroachment Alberta needs to look into changing? This is only an issue in Canada, and it appears to be wholly caused by gov incompetence.

This spreads into other areas (like asthma medication, yes, sucks to my asthmar) and other drugs, so I am trying to get a better understanding of the system.

I always assumed that OTC medicines were distributed in regular supply chains but it sounds like I'm mistaken? Is there a special separate wholesale/distribution system specific to medicine including OTC? I can literally go on Amazon.com right now and buy any OTC medicine I want, so this seems like a tremendously costly, inefficient, and stupid way to deal with medicines like advil and tylenol.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    https://www.thestar.com/amp/business...e-problem.html

Paywall bypass
    https://www.textise.net/showText.asp...e-problem.html

It pains me to link a TorStar article, but this is the only one that has actually had any substance to it and I will admit was some properly researched writing.

So TL;dr is that Health Canada is a shitty bureaucratic nightmare? Isn't healthcare a provincial area? Why does Alberta have to worry about importing drugs to Health Canada's standards (like bilingual labelling)?

Is this another area of federal encroachment Alberta needs to look into changing? This is only an issue in Canada, and it appears to be wholly caused by gov incompetence.

This spreads into other areas (like asthma medication, yes, sucks to my asthmar) and other drugs, so I am trying to get a better understanding of the system.

I always assumed that OTC medicines were distributed in regular supply chains but it sounds like I'm mistaken? Is there a special separate wholesale/distribution system specific to medicine including OTC? I can literally go on Amazon.com right now and buy any OTC medicine I want, so this seems like a tremendously costly, inefficient, and stupid way to deal with medicines like advil and tylenol.
    I don’t think this is wholly true. There are some OTC medicines that are regulated by a DIN (like vin, but drug). These are only sold during working hours when a pharmacist is physically present. Some of these are the hard to get children’s medicines too.

I’m not sure if Amazon can deliver these, but they might have a policy agreement with HC or something.

Go to a Sobeys after pharmacist hours and you’ll literally see locked up sections of isles with medicines.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

You may be correct on the Amazon.com thing, I went to double check and I think a cookie issue kept it from updating to my Canadian address.

So then why is there such tight control on OTC drugs? I can buy tylenol and advil at the corner store.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.