Quantcast
Anyone's kid go to Foothills Academy? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone's kid go to Foothills Academy?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

One aspect that particularly appeals to me is the intensive amount of career counselling they get in the high school grades. Not focused on university admission either, the full spectrum of trades and tech schools is a part of the discussion, which is awesome. I think that could be extremely valuable in our situation. I have friends and relatives kids who came out of high school with zero plan and zero skills and who are still working fast food jobs 5+ years later.
    You are not wrong but remember not every person will have the same drive an interests at this point in time... My sis-in-law started working fast food (MacDonalds) and eventually decided what was important and went back to school doing upgrades and shit from online schooling and now she runs something like 8 or 10 MacDonalds franchises and makes some serious legit coin and has security out the wahzoo... It just took some life experience to get her to a place she was ready to achieve something she wanted. Sure would be nice to have kids who just get it right away but reality is many don't. Most in fact.

It is one thing I have always told both my kids. When you are young you don't have to have it all figured out necessarily. Try different gigs and you may hate them or you may love them. Maybe you find you calling early sure, but the worst that happens is you figure out the shit you don't want to be doing and that can be half the battle.

Nothing wrong with giving your kid as much chance to succeed as possible, but you sure are not a failure because your kid works at a fast food joint for a few years.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No, I agree. Just happen to know these kids, and have little hope they'll ever get their shit figured out. The one particularly, is a sad case for reasons that are a little to personal to type here. And then I look at my kid, and can imagine the exact path, and it eats me up inside to imagine. Adding in the learning disability and I think it's pretty important to me to get as much help as early as possible to keep doors open. Might be drawing back the curtain a little too much, but I'm really impressed that foothills academy has a 100% graduation rate with a legitimate high school diploma. I can see quite clearly where my kid might not get that far on her current path.

No, I agree. Just happen to know these kids, and have little hope they'll ever get their shit figured out. The one particularly, is a sad case for reasons that are a little to personal to type here. And then I look at my kid, and can imagine the exact path, and it eats me up inside to imagine. Adding in the learning disability and I think it's pretty important to me to get as much help as early as possible to keep doors open. Might be drawing back the curtain a little too much, but I'm really impressed that foothills academy has a 100% graduation rate with a legitimate high school diploma. I can see quite clearly where my kid might not get that far on her current path.
    Good on you sir... Like I said, nothing wrong with giving your kids the very best chances at success at all. I am just saying if things are not perfect, they are not necessarily totally broken either. I think with our kids it is always going to be a life long lesson and adapting to current situations.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Holy Fuk, MY BAD. The school I thought was called Foothills Academy is Westmount Charter. I've always thought it was called Foothills Academy. My bad. Please disregard my post. (deleting now)
    Westmount is a public charter school. The kids come from all over the city including the NE and the dirty South. The rates of drugs, pregnancy and stupidity would reflect that as some many not have the same social net that saves kids in a proper private school

Westmount is also a special needs school and classified that way. The disability isn't typically learning, but more so on the social aspects. There are a number of kids who are double coded (gifted and on the spectrum).

Every school has examples like your nephew. Your nephew sounds like what we call "high intelligence, low achievement". Just because you are smart, doesn't mean you will be successful.

By the same token, just because you have a learning disability, doesn't mean you won't be a billionaire. Motivating an unmotivated person has no correlation on their ability to learn or their IQ.

Putting your kids in the best school to the best of your abilities is part of good parenting.

ES hope the school works out for you.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I must spread reputation around before giving to ES & tirebob again.

Excellent parenting tips here. Some parents, especially of teens, just adopt a laissez faire attitude saying they'll figure it out eventually. I think guidance and showing that you care in their day to day lives will have the best results.

Good on both of you.
    @benyl I get what you're saying. I think degenerates exist in both private and public systems.
    Last edited by DonJuan; 02-09-2023 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    *The First*

If anyone is attempting to keep the discussion on track, IB and AP classes are not offered by Foothills Academy.....
    Hey please let me clarify that I was in NO WAY slamming your kids if they're having a difficult time with some aspect of school.
    I brought up honours as a bonus because I felt that it was less about being a freak genius and more about getting away from the kids who are only at school twice a week and when they're there, they are intentionally disruptive, all day. You know? Complete shit heads?
    I am NOT lumping kids who are struggling with ______ into that category.

I bet your kids are fuckin awesome and are going to figure everything out, aided by your highly competent oversight.

*I don't think you were confused about this, as I'd like to think you'd immediately lash out and call me a fuck nugget if you felt I was being a fuck nugget, but, sometimes it's better to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Westmount is a public charter school. The kids come from all over the city including the NE and the dirty South. The rates of drugs, pregnancy and stupidity would reflect that as some many not have the same social net that saves kids in a proper private school

Westmount is also a special needs school and classified that way. The disability isn't typically learning, but more so on the social aspects. There are a number of kids who are double coded (gifted and on the spectrum).

Every school has examples like your nephew. Your nephew sounds like what we call "high intelligence, low achievement". Just because you are smart, doesn't mean you will be successful.

By the same token, just because you have a learning disability, doesn't mean you won't be a billionaire. Motivating an unmotivated person has no correlation on their ability to learn or their IQ.

Putting your kids in the best school to the best of your abilities is part of good parenting.

ES hope the school works out for you.
    Westmount is nerd central. Pregnancies? The school is at least 90% not white.

You need an IQ test just to apply. It costs about $3300. And that's no guarantee of acceptance.

There are very few double coded kids there.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

lol that is such a suntan post
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post

There are quite a lot of double coded kids there.
    FTFY.

Source: Wife teaches there.

Relative to the # of kids, not really.

They don't even want all that many.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The earth is definitely flat.

Source: heard from suntan
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Will need to see the technical analysis prior to forming my conclusion. Are we at bottom?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Relative to the # of kids, not really.

They don't even want all that many.
    It's amazing, you seem to be a subject matter expert in every topic that pops up.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    It's amazing, you seem to be a subject matter expert in every topic that pops up.
    And so consistently off-base, or flat-out wrong

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    And so consistently off-base, or flat-out wrong
    You might say it's...

Epidemic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2