Quantcast
Anyone's kid go to Foothills Academy? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone's kid go to Foothills Academy?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Anyone's kid go to Foothills Academy?

Friends of our suggested we check out Foothills Academy. Kid would qualify. Seems expensive, but cheaper than that time we had a nanny, so I'm sure we could work it out.

Anyway, just looking for opinions and info of the kind you don't find on the website.
    Post here or PM me if you are shy. Thanks.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I don't have any experience with Foothills, but am familiar with & have friends with kids in (seemingly) similar programs.

It's a personal decision and only you and your wife will know if it's best for your kid, but in my experience the list of things I'd rather spend money on over my children's education is extremely short... Like food, and shelter.

The schools and programs that cater to these kids seem to achieve outcomes that are extremely difficult in a regular public school classroom. For example, one couple I know had their daughter in a public school class with 27 kids. The daughter quickly feel behind in early reading and math, in part because the teacher had ~15 'normal' kids and another dozen with varying needs, so once the lesson was taught and the 15 kids picked it up, the teacher had to go back and re-teach little groups of the other kids in ways that suited them, which is frankly no ideal or fair to any of the 27 kids. That girl now goes to a school with a similar program to Foothills and her class has 5 kids (ironically, we're also friends with her teacher)... The level of attention and tailored learning that can be offered in that environment simply can't be matched in a public school setting.

Like you said, seems expensive when you just look at the number, but really not any more expensive that tons of other "kid things" that most people find a way to pay for, like daycare, nannies, etc.

As for the inevitable "I went to public school and I turned out fine"... yeah, I did to... But that was 20+ fucking years ago and things have changed.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

what school is "similar" to foothills? I was under the impression that they were quite unique.

Renfrew and Calgary Academy.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

No personal experience, but an old colleague had one of his kids through there for dyslexia, and he said it was worth every penny, despite it being a bit of a financial/scheduling hardship for them.

Edit: I think his kid was 10'ish at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    what school is "similar" to foothills? I was under the impression that they were quite unique.
    Admittedly, I don't have any direct experience, but have some familiarity with both Calgary Academy and Rundle Academy, which both offer learning disability programs.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Both my kids did a reading and writing camp (1v1) at foothills academy for all of august. It cost us about 4k. Our kids psychologist suggested it for some learning issues both had.
    They both really enjoyed it. I think more because it was one on one with the teacher.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 11-21-2022 at 05:06 PM.

Proper parenting displayed in this thread.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Both my kids did a reading and writing camp (1v1) at foothills academy for all of august. It cost us about 4k. Our kids psychologist suggested it for some learning issues both had.
    They both really enjoyed it. I think more because it was one on one with the teacher.
    My daughter did the same camp there last summer and she also goes there every Saturday during the regular year for a 2 hour reading tutorial. We have noticed great improvements with her reading and confidence.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Send them to the hood.. they will have friends for life and every parent is a tradesperson. BBQs are awesome. Life skills brother..
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Was at the foothills academy open house yesterday. A lot to think about.
    Does seem hard to get in, 110 parents went (estimate) and they probably have fewer than 15 openings above grade 3(wild guess).

Took several pages of notes and had a long chat with the AP afterwards.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

*Set straight by Pacman*
    Last edited by DonJuan; 02-08-2023 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Wife's nephew went to Foothills Academy. Straight A's and worked hard. Graduated with scholarship to U of A. Did 1 year engineering and dropped out/withdraw (or whatever). He's now part time at MRU doing Business courses, and works full time.

Not saying it happens to all kids, but consider the investment carefully.

I've considered it and after hearing stories from the same nephew, seems to be same rate of drugs/pregnancy as when I went to public High School. My opinion is paying the extra money doesn't make up for time parenting.
    Are we talking about the same school? Foothills Academy is for kids with various levels of learning disabilities where the classes are smaller than a public classroom and the teachers can help work with the kids who require a bit of extra attention. I get the impression from your post that you think it's more of a private school?

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Are we talking about the same school? Foothills Academy is for kids with various levels of learning disabilities where the classes are smaller than a public classroom and the teachers can help work with the kids who require a bit of extra attention. I get the impression from your post that you think it's more of a private school?
    Holy Fuk, MY BAD. The school I thought was called Foothills Academy is Westmount Charter. I've always thought it was called Foothills Academy. My bad. Please disregard my post. (deleting now)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hahaha, yeah Westmount very different than Foothills.
    Foothills boasts that they get every kid graduating with a high school diploma, which is much better than the rate for kids with learning disabilities in public school.

My Ride

Originally Posted by DonJuan
    I've considered it and after hearing stories from the same nephew, seems to be same rate of drugs/pregnancy as when I went to public High School. My opinion is paying the extra money doesn't make up for time parenting.
    This isn't specific to Foothills - and especially not since DonJuan basically recanted his post - but the bolded above is a common sentiment... "I went to public school and look at me now... I'm fine"

The thing is, no one making this point seems to consider that when they went to public school, it was 20 to 30 FUCKING YEARS AGO... As if nothing's changed? Lack of school funding has been a constant point of public contention for the entirety of that period, and people don't think it's had an affect?

ExtraSlow - good luck with whatever you choose. I applaud anyone willing to look outside the public school framework in order to find something that works best for their child.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

People have a lot of different reasons for considering alternative schools. Social status or "the crowd of peers" isn't one I concern myself with right now.

My Ride
    *The First*

Are "Honours Classes" still a thing? Because that's the true desirable entity. Get rid of the loser kids that are disruptive nonsense and focus on learning the shit so you can GtFO ASAP.
    For kids that have developmental issues and are struggling, I'm guessing that the more you pay, the better their opportunities are.
    /No horse in race (that I can tell, thus far)

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Are "Honours Classes" still a thing? Because that's the true desirable entity. Get rid of the loser kids that are disruptive nonsense and focus on learning the shit so you can GtFO ASAP.
    For kids that have developmental issues and are struggling, I'm guessing that the more you pay, the better their opportunities are.
    /No horse in race (that I can tell, thus far)
    IB is still a thing (at least at Churchill where I went).
    Cos...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If anyone is attempting to keep the discussion on track, IB and AP classes are not offered by Foothills Academy. For the most part, these are kids who struggle with standard level Alberta Curriculum academic requirements. Although in the private school setting with more assistance, they are able to meet grade level and graduate. Many would not in a large public high school.

One aspect that particularly appeals to me is the intensive amount of career counselling they get in the high school grades. Not focused on university admission either, the full spectrum of trades and tech schools is a part of the discussion, which is awesome. I think that could be extremely valuable in our situation. I have friends and relatives kids who came out of high school with zero plan and zero skills and who are still working fast food jobs 5+ years later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast