Quantcast
Battery Tender recommendations - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Battery Tender recommendations

Yeah, here's what condensation and oil does when you don't get the vehicle hot enough.

Name:  PXL_20230114_195316405.MP.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  189.2 KB

My Ride
    V8s

^thats exactly what I was thinking about when I said to never start it unless you intend to drive. If you don’t get enough heat in the engine and fluids, condensation builds up and fucks ‘er. And obvi, the battery drain thing, but that’s less consequential.

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, here's what condensation and oil does when you don't get the vehicle hot enough.

Name:  PXL_20230114_195316405.MP.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  189.2 KB
    What type of failure would this condensation build up cause? If my N52 also has this milky substance what type of repairs can I be expecting?

Honestly, I think it's the ccv vent system that gets plugged with this gunk then causes issues.
    Replace or at least inspect your whole ccv/pcv valve system and lines. A few hundred bucks in parts.
    The ones on here were definitely a reduced inside diameter with the sludge.

My Ride
    E46

Isn't the whole purpose of crankcase ventilation to remove blow by so sludge doesn't build up?
    I bet that engine had a broken ventilation hose, and the sludge build up is from a malfunctioning system and not from being started randomly.

2500 rpm, unloaded for 15 min will get you 100C oil temp, a open thermostat, and more amps thrown at the battery.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What are we even arguing about here?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What are we even arguing about here?
    I think it’s the starting your parked car up once a month thing
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fucks sakes I'm sure I said something smart about that previously, but there's no way I'm finding it, and I'm not sober enough to write it again. But tldr, don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I don't disagree with you. It's not from running for 10min in winter. Bmw is known for plugged up ccv systems.

But was showing what you'll get if you do run intermittently in winter for your summer ride. Not worth it. That sludge will go elsewhere.

My Ride
    E46

I don't disagree with you. It's not from running for 10min in winter. Bmw is known for plugged up ccv systems.

But was showing what you'll get if you do run intermittently in winter for your summer ride. Not worth it. That sludge will go elsewhere.
    I'm not following you here. How will running the engine for a few minutes cause sludge?

This is my understanding of how crankcase ventilation systems works. When a cylinder hits the power stoke and the air/fuel mixture is burned, a byproduct of combustion is water vapor. Some of this exhaust leaks past the piston rings and into the crankcase. While the blow by-gasses (exhaust gases) travel around the rings and through the crankcase and it mixes with oil. This happens no matter what temperature the engine is at.

The crankcase is under negative pressure from a intake manifold vacuum source. The crankcase vapors get sucked through a port in the block or valve cover, sometimes through a oil/vapor separator, then through a orifice or diaphragm valve and into the intake manifold to be burned.

The crankcase is under a vacuum whenever the engine is running, there is a constant flow of fresh filtered metered air that travels through the crankcase. Even when you shut off the engine the crankcase will only hold a few liters of fairly fresh air that could maybe condense.

When a ventilation hose breaks, the intake manifold vacuum source will suck unmetered fresh air from outside the engine instead of sucking out the crankcase. This causes the blowby gasses to not be removed from the crankcase, that will condense and sludge up and set lean air fuel ratio trouble codes. The diaphragm in the pcv metering valve can also tear, applying full intake manifold vacuum to the crankcase. The engine will make a weird weezing sound as air gets sucked past seals and gaskets. It's not just BMW, all modern day engines fail like this.

I think being worried about condensation is stupid.
    Last edited by Flexray; 02-26-2023 at 07:33 PM.

Keep starting your parked car in winter. I don't care.
    I don't and my oil is cleaner when I drain it before spring start up.

Literally showing you proof that sludge happens. Short drives and the motor temps are not to operating temp by the time this bmw gets parked for the day.
    So really, this situation is even better than idling your summer supercar for 30min in your garage and it still causes oil condensation sludge.
    Does it cause unrepairable damage? Probably not. But if your summer super car is tuned up, over time you probably don't want this plugging up your lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flexray View Post
    2500 rpm, unloaded for 15 min will get you 100C oil temp, a open thermostat, and more amps thrown at the battery.
    In a heated garage maybe.
    -30 parked outside. 100% does not or my oil temp sensors are all garbage.

My Ride
    E46

Keep starting your parked car in winter. I don't care.
    I don't and my oil is cleaner when I drain it before spring start up.

Literally showing you proof that sludge happens. Short drives and the motor temps are not to operating temp by the time this bmw gets parked for the day.
    So really, this situation is even better than idling your summer supercar for 30min in your garage and it still causes oil condensation sludge.
    Does it cause unrepairable damage? Probably not. But if your summer super car is tuned up, over time you probably don't want this plugging up your lines.

- - - Updated - - -

In a heated garage maybe.
    -30 parked outside. 100% does not or my oil temp sensors are all garbage.
    The valve cover you posted, that engine has a problem.And I don't think it's from short tripping.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4