Quantcast
What to do with deliveries to proper address, but not for you? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with deliveries to proper address, but not for you?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default What to do with deliveries to proper address, but not for you?

Hi All,

So last week my parents received a package at the front door from UPS. My dad didn't think much of it and signed for it....but upon further inspection it was for someone else. My mom called UPS and UPS came by to pick it up. The package was from Lenovo and was pretty light.

Last night, they received two more packages....from same sender, appears to be Best Buy, again, left at the front door for my parents address...but definitely not their name. We tried calling the phone number on the address field but it's not in service....

So basically, what we thought was a one off occurrence has now repeated itself twice. My parents are holding on to the last two packages as they don't know what to do with them. One is a massive subwoofer as it was shipped in original box, and the other is a sealed envelope with some box inside.

So someone entered exact address of my parents place, with postal code and everything matching, but addressed to some dude, and with a disconnected phone number...and has done it with Lenovo and now with Best Buy..

What to do? I told them to just hold on to these for now as I am sure the buyer will eventually come looking when they realize their mistake....but anything else we should do?

As a side note, a few times they also had food deliveries from chinese restaurant to their address...I think 3 times in total....not sure if at all related....was left at the door....

My Ride
    ute

Ask for sushi and a center channel next time

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Maybe buddy was committing cc fraud and sending it there and hoping to porch pirate the stuff.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Bet it's fraud.
    The guy will show up once and ask for the stuff.

Don't make his Xmas dream come true.

I don't think it's fraud as you don't just ship to random address to hope for the best. Bestbuy requires text approval on many of their products a well as an added layer of security so makes it a bit more unlikely.

It's probably someone with a similar address. They'll figure it out super quickly and try to figure it out.

If parents suspect it's fraud related after chatting with the person they can just say the packages were sent back. If no one shows then they have some free Christmas presents to give away.

I looked into this a while back, as it took the better part of a decade before shit addressed to the previous owner stopped getting delivered to my house. Based on theses snips from the canada post act I figured it would be illegal to open, keep or dispose of letters and packages, so I had to keep writing "moved away xx years ago" and putting them back in the slot.

Opening mail

48.Every person commits an offence who, except where expressly authorized by or under this Act, the Customs Act or the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act, knowingly opens, keeps, secretes, delays or detains, or permits to be opened, kept, secreted, delayed or detained, any mail bag or mail or any receptacle or device authorized by the Corporation for the posting of mail.
    and for a definition of 'mail'

mail means mailable matter from the time it is posted to the time it is delivered to the addressee thereof; (envois ou courrier)
    So my read is that is not yet delivered to the addressee, it still counts as 'mail' and cannot be opened, kept, delayed etc.
    Last edited by zieg; 11-28-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    dv/dt

My Ride

Thanks for the replies. It appears that the packages were delivered by some courier....so not Canada Post...else would have just taken them to Canada Post for dropoff. I think it has some logo on top...something 24, didn't take a picture or remember. Told parents if someone comes for them to check their ID to make sure it's who they say they are, else they can fuck off. The sub is like $350 by itself...plus whatever is in the envelope......could be nice house warming gifts for my new crib haha

It’s brushing.

My Ride

So my dad talked to the neighbor who has been there before they moved in, and he recognizes the name as the previous owner....so doesn't sound like a scam. Still no ability to find the guy or find him online. He is a ghost haha, so we wait and see until he comes knocking. It's been at least 7 years that my parents lived here...

Interesting. Probably Sales guy didn't confirm his address on file.
    It'll take awhile till he goes to best buy and runs it up chain to senior sales floor manager who figures out the issue.

My Ride
    *The First*

I get vehicle recall notices from >5 years ago for our previous home owners. I think it's for like an Oldsmobile Cutlass or something that's almost certainly scrapped, by now.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I get vehicle recall notices from >5 years ago for our previous home owners. I think it's for like an Oldsmobile Cutlass or something that's almost certainly scrapped, by now.
    Wasn't that the Performanceshop.ca version of the Civic?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

The previous home owners at our place never mail forwarded anything at all so for the first year every time we went to the mailbox we took a pen to write "No Longer Lives Here" on the letters and sent them back. All of their bills, statements, recalls, and catalogs kept coming to us regardless of doing that so at the 1 year mark we started throwing anything we got in the trash. Fuck them.

The only time I've reached out to them is when they had a huge wish.com package show up at my house and it was too heavy to bother disposing of.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Reminds me of the guy that was operating in the yr 3000.
    Added his name to every junk mail list possible.
    He was getting so much he was able to heat his home with his fireplace for free.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

TIL that there are paper log makers on Amazon, the irony of buying one with climate bucks makes it almost impossible to resist. Stupid gas fireplaces.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    The previous home owners at our place never mail forwarded anything at all so for the first year every time we went to the mailbox we took a pen to write "No Longer Lives Here" on the letters and sent them back. All of their bills, statements, recalls, and catalogs kept coming to us regardless of doing that so at the 1 year mark we started throwing anything we got in the trash. Fuck them.

The only time I've reached out to them is when they had a huge wish.com package show up at my house and it was too heavy to bother disposing of.
    This happens at my house to this day, I just toss it. Been living here for 13 years now...

For my parents, they didn't get anything from the old owner until these packages started showing up. So far only stopped at 2 and noone came looking for them yet....just sitting there. Hopefully boxing day brings more goods. I will wait for like 2 months and if noone comes calling, I guess they are gifts for me afterall.

My Ride
    V8s

We still get things from the owners before us, and the owners before them. I usually just throw whatever it is in the shredder, but recently decided to write "moved, wrong address" with a sharpie and leave it out for the mailman... they didn't grab it when they came by. Looks like I'll stick to the shredder routine.

I haven't been fortunate enough to get anything cool like electronics. It's usually junk mail, and periodically something from computershare which is likely employee share purchase forms for Imperial Oil (I wouldn't know this for sure, because I never, under any circumstances have opened it).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sharpie RTS on it and drop in a mailbox.

My Ride
    V8s

Unfortunately for the lazy/careless previous owners, there's a dozen other things I'd rather do.

I'm simply just not as nice of a guy as you are.

My Ride
    changes every year

I've been at my place for 1.5 years and still get multiple owners stuff. Been doing this since I moved here and I'm done doing it. Garbage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast