Quantcast
Furnace replacement recommendations - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Furnace replacement recommendations

My Ride
    something green

Something that came up dealing with a couple of friends furnaces in the last while. With the switch to high efficiency appliances with a dedicated fresh air direct vent install where the air intake is now sealed to the combustion chamber instead of drawing air from the basement, it causes the Radon levels to skyrocket inside. Turns out pulling the combustion air from the basement does a nice job of ventilating the basement and keeping the radon levels down.
    If you change to high efficiency, I would keep the old style combustion air bucket vent, and just do a one pipe (exhaust) only install on the furnace. If existing is 2 pipe sealed combustion, I would do a radon check in the house.
    Too loud for Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something that came up dealing with a couple of friends furnaces in the last while. With the switch to high efficiency appliances with a dedicated fresh air direct vent install where the air intake is now sealed to the combustion chamber instead of drawing air from the basement, it causes the Radon levels to skyrocket inside. Turns out pulling the combustion air from the basement does a nice job of ventilating the basement and keeping the radon levels down.
    If you change to high efficiency, I would keep the old style combustion air bucket vent, and just do a one pipe (exhaust) only install on the furnace. If existing is 2 pipe sealed combustion, I would do a radon check in the house.
    Interesting… you’d think this would be more widely known/talked about.

With your suggestion to keep the old one, is that allowed in terms of code? I’m getting close to having to replace mine so taking notes on things to watch out for.

I thought the reason for sealed intake was because the newer furnaces need a lot of air.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I thought the reason for sealed intake was because the newer furnaces need a lot of air.
    Only the supercharged ones.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    Hey all, anyone have experience with a Daikin brand furnace?

The Carrier one I have right now has a cracked heat exchanger.
    Daikin good. Japanese! I actually don't know about their furnaces but my co-worker likes his Daikin A/C. Daikin owns Goodman
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Daikin good. Japanese! I actually don't know about their furnaces but my co-worker likes his Daikin A/C. Daikin owns Goodman
    Forgot to update here. Ended up replacing the old Carrier furnace with a new one. Daikin 80k BTU furnace - luckily install was next day after initial estimate.

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Interesting… you’d think this would be more widely known/talked about.

With your suggestion to keep the old one, is that allowed in terms of code? I’m getting close to having to replace mine so taking notes on things to watch out for.
    As long as the old combustion air is big enough and the appliance allows for one pipe installs, non direct vent install in the instructions. Some appliance state that the exhaust and intake have to be in the same pressure zone together and don't allow for one pipe installs.
    The radon problem seems to only boiled up in Canada since building codes have mandated tighter structures, and more energy efficiency, less air movement, higher readings.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    In theory, on a furnace, the excess air not needed for the draft hood should mean a high efficiency should require less air. Excess air cools combustion too, like on direct vent hot water tanks that use excess air to cool the flue gases down so you can use plastic pipe on the venting.
    Most of the reason for sealed combustion is stopping cold air spillage and loss up the stack to meet the energy ratings. It's also good for when the air in the structure is contaminated. On the 2 pipe systems, the dirty flame rod isn't really a thing anymore, less fouling sucking fresh air. But I would sacrifice a little off the furnace rating and a little more maintenance for lower radon readings.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'm too lazy to go through 100+ posts here, but am starting to get quotes for furnace replacement and AC installation.

So far I've got W&J, G.I Joe, and Pete the Plumber booked to come, any other recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Action Furnace is pretty aight

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I'm too lazy to go through 100+ posts here, but am starting to get quotes for furnace replacement and AC installation.

So far I've got W&J, G.I Joe, and Pete the Plumber booked to come, any other recommendations?
    I got pete the plumber to do both my furnace and ac last summer. Was about 14.5K if i remember.

It's fucking awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7