Quantcast
Moving across the country. Amy idea on costs? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Moving across the country. Amy idea on costs?

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

There's a lot of hate in this thread but I can't argue all of it haha. If you noted my previous comment regarding moving to PEI and back to Alberta, we only lasted 2 years there.

I grew up on the island and moved to Alberta when I was 18, took yearly trips during summers generally to go visit friends/family for a week and when it came time to buy our first home we figured why not, move to PEI as we both work from home full time and have our dollar go further as far as property/home ownership goes.

Living there is much much different than visiting there, I have a strong hatred for the province and its people now. I haven't gone back to visit since we moved back to Alberta in 2019, partly due to Covid but I'm still not planning to go back any time soon.

I don't want to go full rant/hate session, but also don't want to see others go through my pain/mistake.

I definitely made the move with rose tinted glasses on, get to see friends and family regularly, more property for cheap, quieter/smaller province to raise kids, etc. Can come back to Alberta whenever I want, tour around the maritimes, and so on.

None of that really played out, I learned my family is dumb and I rarely ever hung out or saw most of them, my older sister lived 5 minutes away and I maybe saw her 1-2 times a month People have their own lives and are busy. Old friends who I saw once a year were fine in small doses but seeing them regularly I quickly found out I didn't want to be friends with some and missed my Albertan friend base that had more aligned interests.

HST fucking sucks, I began to hate buying anything, set of tires for a grand? extra 100 bucks goes out the window. Higher income tax fucking sucks, and where do the tax dollars go? Might as well be right into the ocean. Roads and infrastructure, trash. Furnace oil/wood/electricity to heat your home fucking sucks, not having natural gas fucking sucks.

I have never actually been to NFLD but if folks there are similar to PEI, the mindset of locals is brutal. The sentient way of "that's just how it is here" life is brutal to me, everyone just stomached basic grievances brought on by the province or gov. Terrible problem, do something about it? Nah, that's just how it is here. Terrible lazy folks, people who don't want to work and collect pogey, everyone blindly Liberal, it's a much much different mindset than what Albertans have.

Healthcare system is beyond bad, people shit on Alberta and Canada's healthcare system, some of it being warranted, but we were told to expect a 6+ year wait for a family doctor alongside any major services you'd have to go off island for.

We also ended up hating the time change with our work schedules, I worked off Central time and my wife off Mountain, we'd both end up working until 6, 7, 8pm and would make dinner and go to bed. That may not apply to you but it actually really sucks.

After a year and a half or so we sat down and talked about the quality of life we had, our bills and cost of living there compared to Alberta, and if we were going to full commit to living there or rip the band-aid and move back......we moved back.

All that being said, I could go on about other factors and experiences but I do also know that some people make the move to islands and absolutely love it....I actually don't have a problem with island life but for what we got out of living there, it made no sense to stay.

If you're actually serious about making such a move then really take into account cost of living, expectations and what is important to your lifestyle.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Happy husband, nobody gets shot. It doesn't have to rhyme.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Those are all really good points. I know that there is a reason most of them leave and come here, hell my wife and most of her family did. I think she is feeling nostalgic for the Island, a lot of Newfie's do. She's had a rough couple of weeks, and floated this idea. It's not set in stone, and not happening anytime soon. I was just trying to find out how viable it could be, and what sort of costs were involved.

I really don't have a preference on where I live (except for Ontario). Most of my family lives elsewhere, and I hardly see the ones that do live here. I have lived here most of my life, so a change of scenery is welcome. The only thing that is really holding me here is my wife and my son (24).

Thanks for all the replies.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I'm from New Brunswick. I lived in Winnipeg for 9 years and felt nostalgic, so I moved back to New Brunswick. Lasted 1 1/2 years. Want to travel? Going anywhere is a PITA. I remember a handful of times flying from Montreal or Toronto to Saint John and it was too foggy to land, so we had to go back. Best case, we land in Moncton. My entire family is from NFLD (Harbor Breton) & Cape Breton (Arichat), but I grew up in NB. I suggest you rent a place and spend 6 months before you go all in.

Related to costs, I believe it was around 8k to get our stuff shipped.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those are all really good points. I know that there is a reason most of them leave and come here, hell my wife and most of her family did. I think she is feeling nostalgic for the Island, a lot of Newfie's do. She's had a rough couple of weeks, and floated this idea. It's not set in stone, and not happening anytime soon. I was just trying to find out how viable it could be, and what sort of costs were involved.

I really don't have a preference on where I live (except for Ontario). Most of my family lives elsewhere, and I hardly see the ones that do live here. I have lived here most of my life, so a change of scenery is welcome. The only thing that is really holding me here is my wife and my son (24).

Thanks for all the replies.
    Just because a couple of rough weeks shouldnt expand into a rough few years for the move...
    Is your son going with you? I cant imagine a 24 year old want to fuck off to NFL with limited opportunities and things to do.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Your 24 year old son lives with you? This may be genius. Move somewhere cheap and shitty until the kid moves out. Then move somewhere nice.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    If you're actually serious about making such a move then really take into account cost of living, expectations and what is important to your lifestyle.
    Lots of positives and negatives about living anywhere tbh. As long as you are happy with it then that is fine.

I do agree, I wouldn't want to age on the east coast. I think the most ideal location to age in Canada is probably southwestern Ontario, somewhere rural near London, similar medical services compared to our biggest Cities and a lot more opportunities for small town living if that is your thing. Aside from that people from the rock seem to always miss it there.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Just going off a single point you made, and has nothing to do with moving to PEI in itself (i think it sounds cool, but I have never been but dreamed about the idea...this thread has changed my mind haha)...but work from home part.

I too was a permanent work from home, signed a new contract a few months after covid lockdowns that specifically said that you are now work from home ect ect..given some cash to outfit a home office, moved my monitors ect from office to house, lost my office cubicle, my spot in line for underground parking......and now, two years later, they are telling us all to come back into the office 5 days a week, because the CEO wants to "re-energize" the space....so one person can change the whole WFH at a whim and a personal desire...so just a warning.

Moving to town or around da bay ??

Biiiiiiiiigggggg Difference in quality of life and amenities shit to do etc...

Newfie women move home usually because they miss their families (Mom mostly...) Plus if you have kids the support structure (again family) is usually a lot better there.
    Always a teenage girl looking to babysit for a few bucks an hours... At least again...around da bay.

Most flatlanders I know who have moved with their NL wives end up coming back sooner than later...either with them or without.

YMMV.

Good luck.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If me or my wife moved "home" we'd end up in Airdrie. I don't think I could deal with the swinger lifestyle.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Most of her immediate family is here now, but her Mom and Dad would end up coming with us back to the island. So there's that as well (UGH). We decided to hold off for a few years, but might move back later on.

It's been on her mind for the past few years, so I'm sure it will happen at some point.

Thanks for all the responses. Got some good info.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If me or my wife moved "home" we'd end up in Airdrie. I don't think I could deal with the swinger lifestyle.
    Come back to me

Put the pineapple right side up you tease.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2