Quantcast
Has anyone been to Cuba recently? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been to Cuba recently?

Default Has anyone been to Cuba recently?

We have a Mexico thread, time for a Cuban one.

Wife and I are taking the kids (3, 10 months) to Cuba in a few weeks (Varadero).
    We have our packing plans all flanged up but I'm wondering about the following.

1) How much cash should we bring ?
    We are planning to stay on the resort and likely won't be leaving.
    2) What is the preferred currency?
    3) How much is customary for a tip?
    4) I recently read about a Cuban Tourist Card, my wife swears she didn't have this last time she went, do we need it?

Any other random tips/ tricks are appreciated!

My Ride
    *The First*

I haven't been, but several of my friends have and they loved it. I'll let others chime in with more current advice. Still a couple pointers:

1. You're a monster for traveling with two children who are under 168 weeks old.

2. You're there for the beach and the weather, not the food, so don't cry about every meal not being Michelin 6-ChevronRachelStarr. Eat your fuckin food and go back to the maybe one of the top 5 beaches, on earth.

3. Only buy cigars from gov't stores. No, Juan who approached you randomly on the beach doesn't have an uncle who works at the Cohiba factory and will get you a deal. Unless you like smoking banana leaves, purchase only from a govt store.

4. Max out on boxes of cigars for your friends. They used to be about 75% less money, there.

currency for Cuba can only be bought once there as theyll exchange it on the resort for you. Its not a legit currency just one used for tourists in cuba. If your not leaving the resort much your not going to need a lot.

I agree about the cigars. We stuffed 8 or 9 suit cases full on our last trip. Did a private trip to Havana and loaded up.

IMO go and relax. It's Cuba. Not much to worry about other than the food you may not like.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't been, but several of my friends have and they loved it. I'll let others chime in with more current advice. Still a couple pointers:

2. You're there for the beach and the weather, not the food, so don't cry about every meal not being Michelin 6-ChevronRachelStarr. Eat your fuckin food and go back to the maybe one of the top 5 beaches, on earth.
    So true. It's not that the resort food is bad, it's just..... boring.
    Best meal we had in Cuba was when we went for a walk in town, smelled something delicious, and stopped at this outdoor restaurant. They had chicken roasting on an outdoor grill. We stopped had a great meal, a bunch of drinks, and listened to this local band.
    A nice break from the resort.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

The only information I can give you is my neighbors went to Cuba and came back alive a week later.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Tip your bartenders early and generously.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This is a good point. First day, have a walk around and figure out which 1-2 bars you will be spending time at. Then spend your time at those bars, and learn the name of one bartender at each, tell them your name while you tip them.
    Not life-changing, but it helps.

So long story short, bring USD and exchange for tourist dollars once on the resort?
    Are these tourist dollars essentially worthless once I leave? Can they be exchanged once back in Canada or do I spend every cent?

If you aren't leaving the resort you don't really need to exchange anything. You can tip in USD. You said you aren't leaving the resort but I suggest you visit Varadero for a meal or two. It's a nice break from the resort food in Cuba.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think I just brought CAD. USD would just be an intermediate step paying exchange fees.

CAD to convertible pesos at the front desk. Only thing I used it for was tips. Leave whatever is left for the maid.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also, the locals have the ability to covert USD and CAD to pesos if they receive those in tips. There's a thriving ecosystems of money-changing in tourist destinations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think I just brought CAD. USD would just be an intermediate step paying exchange fees.

CAD to convertible pesos at the front desk. Only thing I used it for was tips. Leave whatever is left for the maid.
    I like it.

Thanks team!

don't bring usd to Cuba. That's crazy. It's only been a few years since Cuba has been able to have some us residents there.

Exchange your Canadian on the resort for sure. And yes the tourist dollars are useless outside of Cuba.

If your not leaving the resort at all your not going to need much money at all.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    don't bring usd to Cuba. That's crazy. It's only been a few years since Cuba has been able to have some us residents there.

Exchange your Canadian on the resort for sure. And yes the tourist dollars are useless outside of Cuba.

If your not leaving the resort at all your not going to need much money at all.
    I went to Cuba 20 years ago and took USD, it was wanted at that time. What's changed?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Holy shit Itchy & Scratchy dollars are real.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

When I went a while back, CAD was preferred to USD, and USD rate was terrible. Think because of embargos they basically prefer CAD and treat it better than USD. Just bring CAD and tip in CAD. Don't bother exchanging unless you are leaving the resort.

My mom just came back from Cuba like two weeks ago, and says it's very different than it was before, quiet...the whole COVID thing hit their industry hard and they haven't fully recovered yet.

The tourist card is something you get on the airplane from my understanding, it's nothing you have to concern yourself with, it's included with flights to Cuba. I haven't gone for a while. You do have to fill out a special form like 48 hours in advance which generates a QR code...it's like a questionnaire for customs or something. If you go to Westjet travel center and say you are going to Cuba, it will show you all requirements. There may be mention of insurance...don't worry about that either. You don't need it if you don't want it, and if you do end up wanting it, it's dirt cheap in the airport and can be purchased at arrival.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Keep us posted on how the trip goes with the 2 kids. We recently took our kids (3y, 6months) to Hawaii, which was fine but still a ton of working hauling them around the city. We are contemplating either a Caribbean cruise or an all inclusive resort next time. Curious to know your experience.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cruise with small kids sounds like hell.

Cuba update Day #3

1) Swim up room is 110% worth it, 11 month old naps twice /day and we are still outside swimming with the 3 year old

2) Upgrade to one bedroom suite 120% worth it - we have a significant amount of space and options to hang out

3) There are an insane amount of Russians here. Shouldn't be too surprised I suppose! We've only met a couple Canadian couples, vast majority are Russian. Haven't met anyone from the states yet.

4) Beer is mediocre, but refreshing

5) Food is way better than I expected

6) Should have brought more sunscreen, the UV index here doesn't bode well for my pasty ass skin

7) Would come back

if your enjoying the food that's 90% of peoples issues with Cuba. We have always enjoyed our trips. Other than the one resort with lots of mosquitoes at night never had many complaints.

Last time I was there a few years back it was more English families. No Russians. Guess they need a safer place to escape these days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast