Quantcast
Watch winder issue? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Watch winder issue?

My Ride
    changes every year

Default Watch winder issue?

I have a Chinese watch winder from 4-5 years ago, seems to rotate both ways without issue, but ill go an entire week, sometimes 3 weeks without putting one on.

I have 4 automatic watches and today when I went to put one on that I haven't worn in a little over a week, it was 10 minutes slow, this is the case with all of the other watches as well.

Am I using this wrong or is this thing just junk?

Don't think there's anything wrong with your watch winder to be honest. I have a Wolf winder and I noticed that some of my watches are off too by x time, but it's not my winder stopping, rather it's my watches all need servicing and I've been cheap with that exception for my Rolex's.

There are also winding and rotation parameters btw for your watches. For my Tag's for example, the Calibre 5 movement have a winding direction of both with the turns per day at 650; whereas my Calibre 16 movement are clock wise rotation only with a 800 turn per day rotation. My Rolexes are both directions for winding direction and 650 for turns per day each.

I noticed that for my one Tag with the Calibre 16 movement, I inadvertently set it to counter-clockwise instead of clockwise and my watch actually stopped winding completely. May also have been the watch really needed servicing too and it stopped, but it certainly falls behind quite a bit even with set to clockwise rotation but I know this particular watch has an issue with the mainspring.

You can also buy or see if there is someone here that has a timegrapher you can use that calculates the amplitude and beat rate of your watch to measure and assess it's accuracy. This will usually tell you if your movement requires servicing or not. Or straight-up, could be your watch winder is stopping but you don't know when.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Don't think there's anything wrong with your watch winder to be honest. I have a Wolf winder and I noticed that some of my watches are off too by x time, but it's not my winder stopping, rather it's my watches all need servicing and I've been cheap with that exception for my Rolex's.

There are also winding and rotation parameters btw for your watches. For my Tag's for example, the Calibre 5 movement have a winding direction of both with the turns per day at 650; whereas my Calibre 16 movement are clock wise rotation only with a 800 turn per day rotation. My Rolexes are both directions for winding direction and 650 for turns per day each.

I noticed that for my one Tag with the Calibre 16 movement, I inadvertently set it to counter-clockwise instead of clockwise and my watch actually stopped winding completely. May also have been the watch really needed servicing too and it stopped, but it certainly falls behind quite a bit even with set to clockwise rotation but I know this particular watch has an issue with the mainspring.

You can also buy or see if there is someone here that has a timegrapher you can use that calculates the amplitude and beat rate of your watch to measure and assess it's accuracy. This will usually tell you if your movement requires servicing or not. Or straight-up, could be your watch winder is stopping but you don't know when.
    Ya the 2 Seiko I wear the most are fairly new so I know they don't need service. You're onto someethjngg there with the rotations, ill have to look into that more.

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Ya the 2 Seiko I wear the most are fairly new so I know they don't need service. You're onto someethjngg there with the rotations, ill have to look into that more.
    Here, check out this site for your Seiko's:

https://watch-winder.store/watch-winding-table/seiko/
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Here, check out this site for your Seiko's:

https://watch-winder.store/watch-winding-table/seiko/
    Thanks Man I'll take a look

My Ride
    This and that.

On the topic of watch winders I always wondered this;

If you're not going to wear your watch for a long time, say at least a month, isn't it better to let it die and 'rest' the entire time before re-winding it up and wearing it when you plan to keep it on for a while? I always wondering, I have a rotation of 10+ pieces and for some of my pieces they don't get worn for 10-12+ months at a time. Especially the ones I get bored of, so isn't it better to let them sleep rather than keeping them on a winder?

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    On the topic of watch winders I always wondered this;

If you're not going to wear your watch for a long time, say at least a month, isn't it better to let it die and 'rest' the entire time before re-winding it up and wearing it when you plan to keep it on for a while? I always wondering, I have a rotation of 10+ pieces and for some of my pieces they don't get worn for 10-12+ months at a time. Especially the ones I get bored of, so isn't it better to let them sleep rather than keeping them on a winder?
    It's all personal preference from what I have read - nothing scientific. Some say to keep it running so the lubricants don't dry out and it keeps the watches accuracy by consistently keeping the spring wound. Other's say just let it run down and leave it so it doesn't wear down the mechanism and stretch the mainspring while other's say who cares, you should be servicing them every 5 years so it doesn't matter if the lubricants dry or the components wear.

I just keep them wound up because I want to but I do service the Rolexes regularly. I just need to service the Tag's as I've noticed their time keeping is definitely off....just the cost to service all of them isn't cheap.

Just do what you want.

Got pics of your winders?

My Ride
    This and that.

I don't have any winders so no pics. But that makes sense. I think I will stick to my usual practice and letting them stop fully until next time in rotation. I do need to send some of pieces for service due having them for a long time and never getting them serviced, though the Breitlings, Hublots, Rolex's and IWC keep perfect time no matter after how long I pull them out. My Tag's I've noticed are definitely slowed down big time, especially one of them so I will need to look into sending that for service for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I don't have any winders so no pics. But that makes sense. I think I will stick to my usual practice and letting them stop fully until next time in rotation. I do need to send some of pieces for service due having them for a long time and never getting them serviced, though the Breitlings, Hublots, Rolex's and IWC keep perfect time no matter after how long I pull them out. My Tag's I've noticed are definitely slowed down big time, especially one of them so I will need to look into sending that for service for sure.
    My Rolexes have been good but I do service them every 5 years via Jvair. I learned late last year their authorized Rolex watchmaker is no longer there so now they have to ship the Rolex to TO for service, which sucks.

I think Calgary Jewelry can service the Tags yes? I'm not sure. I haven't looked to be honest on who to go to for the Tags, but I def agree with you that they have slowed big time.