Quantcast
School me on Caséta - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: School me on Caséta

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default School me on Caséta

Ok, I have a couple places where we want to "move" a switch. I know you can get a remote switch and leave the original where it was.

The other is that I want to put a motion sensor in the pantry, but the switch is outside the pantry. So I was thinking of using this:
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lut...ite/1001552028

Does that work with all Caseta switches?

Lastly, need them to randomly turn on an off if we aren't home. Homekit integration preferred. iOS 16 improved homekit, but with some things I have the native apps are still better. So I am not opposed to other options.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

As long as both the motion sensor and the light switch are on homekit you should be able to setup automation. I use an aqara motion sensor to control my meross light switch for my pantry light.

I don't know about random on/off. I guess you could setup different schedules if you want to go through the trouble.

From what I can tell the sensor works with all the switches.
    If you are looking to move a switch you can get one of the remotes and mount it on the wall to look like a switch and leave the original switch in place. If you use Alexa or Google you could tell them to turn the light on when needed.
    In the Caseta app you can set it up to randomly turn on and off chosen lights when you leave the house. Caseta will connect to HomeKit but I haven't done much with it, I stuck with the native app.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

My electrician recommended them to me, and he's coming back to install them in the laundry room and master closet. But I'm going to leave my switches in place and do the remote thing.

I'm interested in that motion sensor for the garage lighting, let us know how it goes.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

So with Caseta switches you can get a bridge which allows you to use the app and assign any pico remote to any switch easily as well as set up schedules. If you wanted to integrate your Caseta switches to Homekit or anything else you would definitely need to buy that.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lut...dge/1000843451

For that switch alone though you can also program it to another wired Caseta switch using the manual setup in this guide but then you lose the ability to set schedules or control it remotely from your phone or app.
    https://images.homedepot.ca/pdf/SENS...NGUIDE-pdf.pdf

We've got about 85% of our house set up on Caseta switches from the previous owner and they are pretty awesome. I always forget to turn all the basement lights off so I can just tell google to do that for me, or as we are leaving the house we just tell google to turn off all the lights. If we end up staying out when we weren't planning to I just use the app to toggle on a few lights in the house to make it seem like we are home. I am not sure I would have spent the $2000 for all these switches but because they are already there its pretty cool
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Don’t even consider buying anything caseta without the hub. That should be your first purchase.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’m 100% on caseta switches. This works fine in your case. Cost wise, I use motion non automation switches as much as possible, but clearly doesn’t work in your case.

And ya you can program this in both HomeKit and Lutron app. Lutron app obviously only controls Lutron devices. HomeKit is much better since it’s device agnostic. I actually use the ecobee occupancy sensors (slower not instant) for our shades automation. Our Honeywell alarm motion sensor is also used for anything we need for instantaneous automations such as lights (combo of caseta and hue lights).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name