Quantcast
Streaming Steam and Soccer to TV - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Streaming Steam and Soccer to TV

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Streaming Steam and Soccer to TV

Getting the Hogwarts game recently, my wife really wants to watch while I play it by obviously don't want to sit at my desktop to do it. I like using my Xbox controller to play some games and would use it while using the TV.

My Xbox died and I don't really feel like replacing it.

We have an old Apple TV but it's pretty old, still has the toslink output which is why I bought it.

Nvidia Shield is doing away with it's GameStream but apparently can run the Steam app. Not really sure how those two are different and how good the app runs. Sounds like I would need the Pro version here.

Last option is a mini desktop setup at the TV. However if it's running Windows 10, I don't know how to let my main desktop run the game and only have the mini desktop accepting video feed. I have a 3090 upstairs vs. whatever integrated GPU will be in the mini desktop.

The TV seems like it's the one bloody place in the house that doesn't have an ethernet outlet at it so will need something capable over Wi-Fi.

Lastly, there are some websites that I use to watch soccer so if any of these options have an easy browser option or can install relevant apps that's a bonus.
    Ultracrepidarian

Nvidia shield pro would be the easiest option I think. You can still use steam link on it and any BT controller. There is also an alternative to gamestream apparently called moonlight. It's also the best media streamer out there as well.

Try this, but not sure if it works on older Apple TVs
    https://www.airsquirrels.com/airparr...pc-to-apple-tv

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks guys.

I was easily able to side-load the Steam Link app on a FireStick 4K. Got the xbox controller paired with the FireStick. Overall the resolution is pretty terrible for background scenery, super pixelated. Also the select button is super janky and doesn't work.

Shield Pro might be the best if I can use a USB cable and override the Steam overlay controls. Otherwise the game is basically unplayable because a single button can't be remapped LOL
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Update: Easiest solution will be to buy a mini computer with WiFi 6 running Windows 10/11. Tested this out with my laptop streaming Steam from my desktop and it works as I had hoped - basically it mirrors it and runs the Ultra settings from the desktop scaled down to the remote screen's resolution.

The Steam Link app is the issue because of the forced overlay controls (xbox controller) and it's not a feature you can disable for Remote Play or remap. So sadly running any device with Android/iOS will not work.

Now to narrow down one of those BeeLink devices without going overkill.
    Last edited by msommers; 02-14-2023 at 12:43 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian