Quantcast
2023 f1 - Page 49 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39 48 49

Thread: 2023 f1

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

100 Million a year for Hamilton is apparently the deal

I'd love to see Lewis win an 8th WDC but anyone who's paid attention to Ferrari should realize that this is the most likely outcome of 2025:

Name:  ihknkjwd00gc1.jpeg
Views: 262
Size:  111.5 KB

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    100 Million a year for Hamilton is apparently the deal
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...salary-details

Total package is worth up to 1/2 a bil?

Damn, nice retirement package.

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Name:  ihknkjwd00gc1.jpeg
Views: 262
Size:  111.5 KB
    Leclerc is going to cry harder given how much Hamilton is getting paid.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-06-2024 at 09:51 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

He dIDn’t do iT fOR tHe mONey

My Ride
    This and that.

Why would you not do it for the money and the prestige of racing for the biggest/most notable team out there?

He asked for an ambassador with Merc and they refused, and Ferrari jumped on the chance cause they know what he brings to the table. Don't see the issue.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Why would you not do it for the money and the prestige of racing for the biggest/most notable team out there?

He asked for an ambassador with Merc and they refused, and Ferrari jumped on the chance cause they know what he brings to the table. Don't see the issue.
    I think we agree?

I was just trying to make light of the fact that there were multiple people in this thread that suggested he didn't go for the money, which I think is simply wrong. I think the money played a significant factor. It's unlikely it was the only factor, but I bet it was the primary one. I think people romanticize F1 too much.. sure there's the prestige and experience of racing for an OG team like Ferrari, but I don't think that weighs on the decision nearly as much as a 9 figure windfall.

Google tells me his comp at Mercedes was ~$35mm/yr, which if true, means the money was a massive incentive to switch.

My Ride
    Z

If it really is that much money... Seems like a terrible investment in a past his prime driver. I guess for the marketing
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    I think we agree?

I was just trying to make light of the fact that there were multiple people in this thread that suggested he didn't go for the money, which I think is simply wrong. I think the money played a significant factor. It's unlikely it was the only factor, but I bet it was the primary one. I think people romanticize F1 too much.. sure there's the prestige and experience of racing for an OG team like Ferrari, but I don't think that weighs on the decision nearly as much as a 9 figure windfall.

Google tells me his comp at Mercedes was ~$35mm/yr, which if true, means the money was a massive incentive to switch.
    At the time, I was among those who believed that money didn't play a significant role in his decision.
    However, after seeing the financial numbers and reflecting on it, I've since shared my thoughts on the earlier post.
    I still hold out hope that his decision wasn't solely driven by money. However , the deeper you look into this, the more it appears to be money-driven. Only Lewis knows the true reasons behind his decision, and I doubt he'll openly admit that it's entirely about money.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    I think we agree?

I agree. Though I don't think money was a primary factory but definitely played a role. He basically got everything he wanted from Merc plus backing of an even more notable team than Merc. Merc may have enjoyed more reason success than Ferrari, but Ferrari will always be the OG team - 'the one to drive for.' It was a no brainer I think. Plus the cherry on the top $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    If it really is that much money... Seems like a terrible investment in a past his prime driver. I guess for the marketing
    You think Ferrari execs are that stupid to pay such an amount for a driver if they didn't think he was worth it? For example, Ham alone has more following on Instagram than Ferrari team, Charles and Sainz put together. Still more than a million than all 3 actually. So what does that tell you? Basically Ferrari will make way more money off of him than they will ever pay him. Plus he out performed both their drivers last season in an arguably a bit inferior and less promising car. It's a win-win all around, except for Merc which I think they fucked up. I took Toto as a very smart businessman, which he is, but he fucked up by letting Ferrari swoop in cause had they given him what he wanted, he would have never left.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-06-2024 at 07:14 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Deal makes a lot more sense reading that link. It’s a decent salary bump but probably doesn’t matter. Being part of the team, having $$$ allocated to him to spur future programs is probably a big part. Hamilton has been very outspoken of supporting development of others especially F1 academy series so having Ferrari backing for future programs is probably the key part

My Ride
    95B

I am a big Lewis Fan. However IMO Merc bent backwards and supported lot of his Initiatives. In a way Merc paved the way for Equality , Diversity etc in F1.
    I feel bad for Merc , I don't think they expected this and it is definitely a punch below the waist line for them.

As much as I want to believe $$$ wasn't a factor in his decision making process I don't think that was the case. As per the reports the Initial offer from Ferrari was 50M/season and he turned that down.
    If he is switching because ,
    1) Ambassador Role
    2) Long term deal
    3) Want to drive for Red
    4) What ever else brand reach blah blah
    then he should have signed at 50M. However he decided to sign when the number went higher.
    I guess end of the day Money talks.

I think on Saturday Charles will be faster. Lewis in no longer has the edge on Saturday. On Sundays it will be a totally different Story I hope.
    Last edited by ganesh; 02-06-2024 at 08:25 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Lewis is also a brand.
    Look at Ferrari with Leclerk and Sainz. Now think of it with Hamilton next to the logo. Much more coverage, attention and prestige.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    I am a big Lewis Fan. However IMO Merc bent backwards and supported lot of his Initiatives. In a way Merc paved the way for Equality , Diversity etc in F1.
    I feel bad for Merc , I don't think they expected this and it is definitely a punch below the waist line for them.

As much as I want to believe $$$ wasn't a factor in his decision making process I don't think that was the case. As per the reports the Initial offer from Ferrari was 50M/season and he turned that down.
    If he is switching because ,
    1) Ambassador Role
    2) Long term deal
    3) Want to drive for Red
    4) What ever else brand reach blah blah
    then he should have signed at 50M. However he decided to sign when the number went higher.
    I guess end of the day Money talks.

I think on Saturday Charles will be faster. Lewis in no longer has the edge on Saturday. On Sundays it will be a totally different Story I hope.
    I have to disagree slightly on the Merc doing everything for him part. IMO he did more for Merc than what they did for him since the start of his career. I think Toto took him for granted in the end, thinking 'he'd never leave here' and that's what screwed Toto over. I mean after 10+ years with the team, making the name for himself, why would you not agree to making him an ambassador if that's what he wanted? They have nothing but to benefit from that. But for whatever reason (maybe money?) they didn't agree to what he wanted and Ferrari kept coming at him. So they probably increased their number significantly on top of everything else Ham wanted from Merc, and that coupled with the fact that it's ultimately Ferrari, would have made it a no brainer in the end.

But who truly knows exactly....we are all speculating.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    Weird how they have gotten worse since these initiatives... Its almost like hiring people purely because of how they look vs the most competent or skilled for the position is a losing strategy

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Weird how they have gotten worse since these initiatives... Its almost like hiring people purely because of how they look vs the most competent or skilled for the position is a losing strategy
    Yeah. It is a Apple Syndrome

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39 48 49