Quantcast
One Week in Taipei - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: One Week in Taipei

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default One Week in Taipei

Never been so would like some suggestion on off the beaten path things to try. Restaurants etc.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

-Shrimping - it's an indoor pool where they give you a fishing rod, you fish for the shrimp and they provide bbq's for you to cook for yourself. I don't remember how the payment system works at all though.
    Google says I went to this one https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...ibextid=LQQJ4d

-All the night markets, specifically Rao He and Shi Lin

-If you get a local SIM, you can sign up to use their bike stations; free of charge with a local number. (info is 8yo though)

-I wouldn't bother with DTF dumplings if you've already done any other location

-Hot springs? I didn't go.
    Last edited by jwslam; 02-02-2023 at 10:03 AM.

Its a major metropolis so while it may be new to you the locals have likely discovered it. There's not going to be many 'hidden gems' if that's what you meant by off the beaten path. Food-wise if there's something new & interesting expect long lines. But its a culture dominated by food so just about anything you try will be pretty good.

Some recommended things:

- Take the train or taxi out to Keelung night market. Its out of the way but has the best/freshest selection of seafood
    - If you're into outdoors/hiking there's an old railway that takes you out to a couple of nice hikes & waterfalls (Xiaozishan Trail and Shifen Waterfall). Very scenic and you'll hardly see any other people on the hike if you want to get a respite from the city
    - Daytrip to Jiufen Old Street and Jinguashi Geopark. Jiufen is a quaint & touristy old town with lots of food vendors that was the inspiration for Miyazaki's Spirited Away
    - Take the bullet train south to Taichung. Comparable being the 'LA' of Taiwan it has much sunnier and warmer weather year round than Taipei. Night markets here are cheaper and just as lively. Bubble tea originated from here
    - Visit the Taipei Zoo. Entrance is dirt cheap and you can hop on the scenic Maokong Gondola while you're there. Gondola won't operate on windy days though
    - Stay a night on Sun Moon Lake. Its mostly a romantic getaway for couples. Traffic to get here can be pretty brutal - one road in/out
    - Daytrip to one of the national parks - Yangmingshan or Taroko. I found Taroko to be more interesting & scenic
    - Stay at one of the fancy retreats. hotel royal Chiao Hsi in Yilan is a nice one
    - Check out Fort Domingo in Tamsui via Taipei MRT. Old Spanish/Portugese/Dutch fort with an old street
    - Visit a Costco! If you're remotely a fan of North American costcos you'll want to check it out. Lots interesting Chinese & Japanese treats and a ton of samples

Follow this dude on IG if you're into the Taiwan food scene - jimmy.psd
    Last edited by Manhattan; 02-02-2023 at 11:01 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    -Shrimping - it's an indoor pool where they give you a fishing rod, you fish for the shrimp and they provide bbq's for you to cook for yourself. I don't remember how the payment system works at all though.
    Google says I went to this one https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...ibextid=LQQJ4d

-All the night markets, specifically Rao He and Shi Lin

-If you get a local SIM, you can sign up to use their bike stations; free of charge with a local number. (info is 8yo though)

-I wouldn't bother with DTF dumplings if you've already done any other location

-Hot springs? I didn't go.
    Shrimping, there's one by Beitou hot spring area which I will be staying a few night. Will check that out.

Local SIM for sure, Unlimited 4G for $30, dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Its a major metropolis so while it may be new to you the locals have likely discovered it. There's not going to be many 'hidden gems' if that's what you meant by off the beaten path. Food-wise if there's something new & interesting expect long lines. But its a culture dominated by food so just about anything you try will be pretty good.

Some recommended things:

- Take the train or taxi out to Keelung night market. Its out of the way but has the best/freshest selection of seafood
    - If you're into outdoors/hiking there's an old railway that takes you out to a couple of nice hikes & waterfalls (Xiaozishan Trail and Shifen Waterfall). Very scenic and you'll hardly see any other people on the hike if you want to get a respite from the city
    - Daytrip to Jiufen Old Street and Jinguashi Geopark. Jiufen is a quaint & touristy old town with lots of food vendors that was the inspiration for Miyazaki's Spirited Away
    - Take the bullet train south to Taichung. Comparable being the 'LA' of Taiwan it has much sunnier and warmer weather year round than Taipei. Night markets here are cheaper and just as lively. Bubble tea originated from here
    - Visit the Taipei Zoo. Entrance is dirt cheap and you can hop on the scenic Maokong Gondola while you're there. Gondola won't operate on windy days though
    - Stay a night on Sun Moon Lake. Its mostly a romantic getaway for couples. Traffic to get here can be pretty brutal - one road in/out
    - Daytrip to one of the national parks - Yangmingshan or Taroko. I found Taroko to be more interesting & scenic
    - Stay at one of the fancy retreats. hotel royal Chiao Hsi in Yilan is a nice one
    - Check out Fort Domingo in Tamsui via Taipei MRT. Old Spanish/Portugese/Dutch fort with an old street
    - Visit a Costco! If you're remotely a fan of North American costcos you'll want to check it out. Lots interesting Chinese & Japanese treats and a ton of samples

Follow this dude on IG if you're into the Taiwan food scene - jimmy.psd
    Thanks. Staying away from Sun Moon since don't want to waste time getting there. Taichung and Kaoshiung is during week 2 as I work my way south on the west coast.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-02-2023 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Taichung and Kaoshiung is during week 2 as I work my way south on the west coast.
    Highly recommend
    https://hoponworld.com/cijin-island-...o-do-in-qijin/

We did it by e-bike