Quantcast
Men's mental health group - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Men's mental health group

Default Men's mental health group

Hey everyone, I was thinking that it would be a good idea to form a men's mental health group on Facebook or similar platform.

Would anyon be interested or have ideas to create a platform for us?

Not sure what your vision is beyond what is already available.
    More details?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, what "features" would facebook provide beyond what our current beyond thread already has?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Anonymity probably won't be a feature.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure what your vision is beyond what is already available.
    More details?
    Maybe a dedicated section or group meets to discuss. Sometimes it's nice to connect with people in person.. Just an idea

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I think that's a good idea, I just think the anonymity of Beyond might be a better platform for people to talk about mental health. Group meetups can also be organized through here also. There is a stigma with men's mental health that some may prefer more privacy in this case.

I could see some may want to just talk but not feel comfortable to meet face to face.

My close friend's brother was lost just before Christmas because he felt he didn't have anyone to talk to. Difficult times.
    Last edited by DonJuan; 02-13-2023 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    NC1

I know you mean well but we can’t even get the foodie group together

Foodie hangs are a form of social therapy too

It’s just the Eminem 8mile thing. Once ya get it out there no shame, then no care, Saul good man. I’m quite open with a lot and probably yap too much.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    GTIR->SE-R->RDX->SLT->S60->LS460

There's a few in person groups available on MeetUp and some options here:

https://mensgroup.com/mens-group-calgary/

I explored it myself a few years ago.
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Ive explored this in the past.
    Anonymity is a big thing. Our societal structure is such that disscusson on these topics are not so much taboo. But its used as a tactic to humiliate or passivily attack men.
    I can understand going to some of these can be tough. But its about finding what works for all of us. Some groups have worked others have not.

I think some of old ways worked well. That would be men getting together for a pint in a pub regulary. If something was off, we would check in with each other. Pull one aside and say whats up? Just having banter and having other men listen with no judgement is a huge thing. I can't stress that enough. The pubs were( if I use the modern term) 'safe spaces' for men. We are not going to attack, or humiliate each other psychologically. My late father used to go to the pub once a week at least, have a pint, read the news paper and chat with the odd local. As I get older I understand why he did that.

That being said. The Beyond meetups are pretty excellent. No joke. Ive had straight conversations with some of you weirdos with zero judgement. If anything that has been some of the best form of mental health support I have had. Just getting out and having food, drink and random banter.

My Ride
    Exploded.

The foodie meets are always available as a venue if anyone needs to just air out grievances in a non-judgmental platform. We'll always listen

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'd be game, but it's difficult for so many reasons.

- Men aren't supposed to express their feelings, so for some, truly opening up would be next to impossible.
    - Anonymity, as discussed.
    - Frankly, I'm not certain someone NOT close to me wants to hear my troubles. This is why usually groups are moderated/regulated by someone with some sort of degree, to keep the conversation moving and not settle in self-loathing and/or pity.

In any case, by posting this, you clearly feel it might be a benefit for you. And if your idea doesn't come to fruition, I hope you have an outlet or someone to talk to. Otherwise, feel free to pm me for my info - I'd be happy to provide an ear from someone who understands the complexities of mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    I'd be game, but it's difficult for so many reasons.

- Men aren't supposed to express their feelings, so for some, truly opening up would be next to impossible.
    - Anonymity, as discussed.
    - Frankly, I'm not certain someone NOT close to me wants to hear my troubles. This is why usually groups are moderated/regulated by someone with some sort of degree, to keep the conversation moving and not settle in self-loathing and/or pity.

In any case, by posting this, you clearly feel it might be a benefit for you. And if your idea doesn't come to fruition, I hope you have an outlet or someone to talk to. Otherwise, feel free to pm me for my info - I'd be happy to provide an ear from someone who understands the complexities of mental illness.
    I think that's why it's a good idea. We aren't supposed to speak up and that can make it even worse for them, as they'd typically feel more alone. I had a 2 friends take their own lives during the pandemic, both didn't real talk much about their feelings.

I do understand the automity part, who would really open up to a stranger kind of thing. I've seen a psychologist before but sometimes it's nice to have someone in a similar situation.

Appreciate the offer, I just think that there is more pressure on us as men cause we aren't supposed to talk about our "feelings"