Quantcast
Double DIN Deck with Wireless Android Auto + Backup Camera? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Double DIN Deck with Wireless Android Auto + Backup Camera?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Double DIN Deck with Wireless Android Auto + Backup Camera?

Hi Peeps,

I never thought I would have to be looking for aftermarket audio ever since my tuning days, but wife has a 2009 Pontiac Vibe which we plan on keeping for the rest of it's life (it's only got 100k on it now)...and her new job will require her to drive out far out of the city, something she never had to do before. I am thinking of upgrading her car a little bit and getting a double din headunit installed so she could use wireless android auto (wired would be okay too) + have a backup camera when she puts it in reverse. I have all these features in my Subaru and her car is feeling a bit old without this. Since she will be using the car a ton more, I figure I should get a new head unit installed. Looking for recommendations! Seems like there are a ton of options out there, so having a hard time deciding since I haven't dealt with this stuff for like 15 years..

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

If it was me, I'd frankenstine that shit.

My double din's that I got for both my M3 and my GTI didn't have wireless apple car play. Same with my wifes Yukon. All wired only.

I bought the OTTOCAST Wireless CarPlay Adapter Apple CarPlay Adapter Wireless Carplay Dongle off Amazon and 'permanently' mounted them. On my M3 and my GTI I actually double sided taped them to the headunits before I put them back. My Yukon the USB hub was in the center console anyway. Not 100% perfert but damned near.

So I'd suggest that if you can only find wired android auto and go from there as it might help narrow the search.
    Cos...

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

On my NC and 957 I have Kenwood wireless CarPlay HUs and standard composite backup cameras. On my E90 I have an Android HU with a AHD backup camera.

The Kenwood units are rock solid but they are 4-5x the price of the Android HU.
    Kenwood is ~7" display vs 9-10" for the Android.
    The AHD backup cam is REALLY clear. They come in either 720p or 1080p and are compatible with most Android HU's.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...68&sku=NAM1610

make sure you get the option w/ the trace buster buster

Name:  65695_l_1.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  12.6 KB
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Everything you need.

ATOTO A6 PF Android Double-DIN Car Stereo, Wireless CarPlay, Wireless Android Auto, Mirrorlink, 7 in Touchscreen in-Dash GPS Navigation, Dual Bluetooth, WiFi/BT/USB Tethering, HD LRV, 2G+32G, A6G2A7PF https://a.co/d/f5sur1n
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

subbed

Also considering a new deck for the minivan as we've decided to do the same thing and keep it til it dies

My Ride
    Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...68&sku=NAM1610

make sure you get the option w/ the trace buster buster

Name:  65695_l_1.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  12.6 KB
    I bought the NA3600M last fall and was very disappointed. I should have listened to the Visions guy as he said that the Nakamichi decks are mediocre at best. Mine was laggy and it would crash and reboot a lot so upgraded. To the Pioneer DMH-1500NEX for $350.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Hmm good to know. I think bought a jvc or pioneer about 4 years ago from them and it was around 110 bucks I think. It was super solid I prob have a pic around here somewhere
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Bought that NAM1610 last year. So far so good - got the backup camera off AliExpress lol

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Pioneer

Name:  IMG_20210117_1359562.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  175.8 KB
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride

So I looked around, and decided to just buy the ATOTO A6 PF as @B.Spilner mentioned. It was like $300 all in with a AHD rear camera, and has great reviews. I think for the price it will do. I have looked at cheaper still units, and some more expensive ones from name brands, but at the end the ATOTO unit won as it actually runs Android natively so you can use maps ect directly, or with Android Auto/Car Play. Seems like they actually put effort into it and it's not just some super cheap Chinese variant. We will see how it performs when it comes. Ordered the dash kit/wiring harnerss/antenna adapter for another $60, so all in all under $400 for the whole thing.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Ride
    Toyota’s

I've got the Kenwood 997 and its been great (granted I use wireless carplay, not android). If she has steering wheel controls the Kenwood works with idatalink maestro which IMO is also a must when its available.

My only complaint with the Kenwood is Carplay will crash sometimes. Not sure why, its usually only late on 500km days so maybe a heat issue or something but I just assume its the nature of third party carplay devices.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    So I looked around, and decided to just buy the ATOTO A6 PF as @B.Spilner mentioned. It was like $300 all in with a AHD rear camera, and has great reviews. I think for the price it will do. I have looked at cheaper still units, and some more expensive ones from name brands, but at the end the ATOTO unit won as it actually runs Android natively so you can use maps ect directly, or with Android Auto/Car Play. Seems like they actually put effort into it and it's not just some super cheap Chinese variant. We will see how it performs when it comes. Ordered the dash kit/wiring harnerss/antenna adapter for another $60, so all in all under $400 for the whole thing.

I did a bunch of research and no Pioneer, Alpine or anything else came close to the price with the features.

You'll love it. Wireless android auto ftw.
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride
    06 S2000

What about a single din version?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Have you put this in yet? Considering the same thing, waiting for more real world feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Spilner View Post
    I did a bunch of research and no Pioneer, Alpine or anything else came close to the price with the features.

You'll love it. Wireless android auto ftw.
    How long have you had it? Happy with it so far?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Have you put this in yet? Considering the same thing, waiting for more real world feedback
    Not yet. It has arrived a while ago but still waiting on dash kit and wire harness.

I installed the camera yesterday in the rear bumper above the license plate, had to do some custom modification to mount it to look OEM, and then ran the wire to the front, but that was it. Wife got called up to work out of town sooner than anticipated so won't get around to installing it until maybe a week from now at the earliest. Won't know real world feedback until wife goes out of town again and reports on how she likes it.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Not yet. It has arrived a while ago but still waiting on dash kit and wire harness.

I installed the camera yesterday in the rear bumper above the license plate, had to do some custom modification to mount it to look OEM, and then ran the wire to the front, but that was it. Wife got called up to work out of town sooner than anticipated so won't get around to installing it until maybe a week from now at the earliest. Won't know real world feedback until wife goes out of town again and reports on how she likes it.
    Good point. I totally didn't realize that package didn't come with the camera. Where did you find the car-specific wiring harness recommendation?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Where did you buy from? I’m seeing $300 on Amazon, $270 through ebay. My deck in my element is old and the Bluetooth suuuuuuucks
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Good point. I totally didn't realize that package didn't come with the camera. Where did you find the car-specific wiring harness recommendation?
    It did come with a camera, this particular bundle did at least. I took the camera out of the packaging and installed it, but haven't done anything after that yet

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Where did you buy from? I’m seeing $300 on Amazon, $270 through ebay. My deck in my element is old and the Bluetooth suuuuuuucks
    I bought on Amazon, it was like $309.65 all in with the coupon and taxes.

I do have an update though. So I got the dash kit for the Pontiac Vibe....and it's pure shit. I should have paid closer attention to it when I ordered, but basically the whole unit would sit like 1/2" too deep and look like ass. In addition, due to the placement of the buttons along the bottom of the bezel...they would be very hard to press if recessed as such. These are pictures from Amazon reviews. I wish I looked at them earlier:

Name:  1.png
Views: 479
Size:  443.3 KB

Name:  2.png
Views: 486
Size:  313.7 KB

So with that being said, I started looking for other options and ended up ordering the exact same unit, but in a 9" screen format. At least with this setup the unit will protrude outside the bezel and cover things up. The new unit will arrive this Saturday. I plan on taking the camera from the new unit and putting it back into the box for the 7" unit and sending the 7" one back for refund. I haven't touched anything else so it's all brand new. If anyone wants a 7" one for the price I paid for it ($309.65) PM me. I won't sell it for less as I can just return it, but if someone wants it, it's yours.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

If anyone else is interested, I noticed today that the 9" version is almost $100 off, down to $250. That was enough to make me get off my butt and order it. I added the camera for $60 and with tax came to $325, which is cheaper than the 7" unit that includes the camera.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...J023OH3S&psc=1

Supposed to be here Saturday but I probably won't get around to installing until it warms up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast