Quantcast
Double DIN Deck with Wireless Android Auto + Backup Camera? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Double DIN Deck with Wireless Android Auto + Backup Camera?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anyone else is interested, I noticed today that the 9" version is almost $100 off, down to $250. That was enough to make me get off my butt and order it. I added the camera for $60 and with tax came to $325, which is cheaper than the 7" unit that includes the camera.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...J023OH3S&psc=1

Supposed to be here Saturday but I probably won't get around to installing until it warms up.
    Good deal. I bought same one for like $323 or something like that just a week ago, bummer. Oh well. They did offer me $25 refund for a review, which I left, so overall difference not as bad. It's a decent unit. Make sure you do a software update. It made a night and day difference in the unit and it's performance.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Good deal. I bought same one for like $323 or something like that just a week ago, bummer. Oh well. They did offer me $25 refund for a review, which I left, so overall difference not as bad. It's a decent unit. Make sure you do a software update. It made a night and day difference in the unit and it's performance.
    Nice. Can you do the software update over the air or does it have to be done before install somehow?

I'm definitely a little nervous about the install - of all the car stuff I've done, stereo replacement has never been one I've done myself.

My Ride

Nice. Can you do the software update over the air or does it have to be done before install somehow?

I'm definitely a little nervous about the install - of all the car stuff I've done, stereo replacement has never been one I've done myself.
    you need a USB drive and extract the zip you download from atoto site. Once you plug the USB into the unit it will detect and install. Takes less than 10 min. I did it while driving. I am still half-assed in the install, waiting for dash parts to arrive. For some reason one speaker isn't working (could have been forever, since that door was in accident, just never noticed until I was playing with moving sound around), and it doesn't illuminate the buttons at night, so have to figure out what wiring I got wrong. My wife's car is a weird ass toyota/pontiac mix, so even the normal harness you get for this car needs to have pins moved around to function, it's very non-standard.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^^i couldn’t get the right illumination wire on mine either, button lights are vital on this one so I ended up hooking it up to ignition pwr (or was it ground?) to keep it in night mode 24/7… then set the brightness to a happy middle ground so I can still see it in the light but not blinding at night

Have had a Podofo 10.1” Android auto deck in the hooptie truck since July, was a PITA to setup but has been great since. It’s a very shallow double DIN deck and the screen floats outside the hole, like a modern deck in most vehicles these days. Was $150 off Amazon and free shipping with prime. Came with backup cam too

Name:  E84C9EC1-7C4B-46D8-BAD2-824AB999765E.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  292.6 KB
    Last edited by ercchry; 03-23-2023 at 10:23 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Taking apart your dash (if you need to at all) is the worst part. Stereo install is simple.

Use solder and heat shrink, not crimp connectors.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

you need a USB drive and extract the zip you download from atoto site. Once you plug the USB into the unit it will detect and install. Takes less than 10 min. I did it while driving.
    Ok, nice, that's totally manageable. The sound has never been great in this thing since I got it, so I'm kinda suspecting I may find that the amp is blown or disconnected as I do that, but that's part of the fun right?

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Taking apart your dash (if you need to at all) is the worst part. Stereo install is simple.

Use solder and heat shrink, not crimp connectors.
    Had the dash apart last summer so that's no trouble, one of the damn LEDs behind the buttons went out so I had everything apart to change that. Not worried about that part. More the connections to steering wheel controls and the backup sensors (the beeping runs through the speakers). But I didn't order a wiring harness; is that a necessity? Or does the radio come with everything you need to plug it in?

I never ordered a dash kit either, I figure once I see how the fitment is, I'll just 3d print a nice surround for it, maybe with a cubby or something.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i've got android HUs in some of my vehicles but i wouldnt suggest the ones which run native android, they never have the specs for current apps/needs, if i were to do it again, i'd just get a screen that mirrors your phone maybe a built in radio tuner is all i'd expect the HU to run... if you think about it, a decent phone is almost $1k, so a $300 deck isnt going to even come close to matching that performance.
    Last edited by Thaco; 03-24-2023 at 01:08 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride

Ok, nice, that's totally manageable. The sound has never been great in this thing since I got it, so I'm kinda suspecting I may find that the amp is blown or disconnected as I do that, but that's part of the fun right?

Had the dash apart last summer so that's no trouble, one of the damn LEDs behind the buttons went out so I had everything apart to change that. Not worried about that part. More the connections to steering wheel controls and the backup sensors (the beeping runs through the speakers). But I didn't order a wiring harness; is that a necessity? Or does the radio come with everything you need to plug it in?

I never ordered a dash kit either, I figure once I see how the fitment is, I'll just 3d print a nice surround for it, maybe with a cubby or something.
    The kit comes with the wires you would need for basic steering wheel controls. My wife's car doesn't have them, so I didn't use the wires, but there are multiple connections related to steering wheel controls. You may need a CanBUS adapter as well for your car, it depends. Never cars that run chimes ect through car speakers would most likely require a CanBus adapter for your specific vehicle. My wife's car is too old for that so didn't need anything.

I did end up buying this vehicle specific dash kit from AliExpress. Check and see if they make one for your car. The Atoto doesn't fit in to this flush like some other units could, but Atoto does have an adapter that converts this style to their unit. The adapter doesn't come with the radio (in Canada, does in USA), but I was able to reach to their support and they shipped it to me free of charge.

Because this unit is 9" in size, it would normally stick out and look pretty unfinished, but with this setup it will look pretty clean and factory.

I can provide the picture of the adapter as well if anyone is curious. Very little information about it out there.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Yeah mine doesn't have a lot to start with (it's an 09) but it does have the steering wheel controls and rear parking sensors that beep and I've heard keeping those can be a bit of a pain. I'll have to look into a canbus adapter for that.

I'm less worried about the bezel though since my factory radio unit is mostly rectangular and once I see how it fits I'll just 3D print something to cover up the space. I'm expecting it to be something roughly like below although I'll look into AliExpress bezels just in case.

Name:  image_2023-03-28_092837573.png
Views: 435
Size:  472.8 KB

What do you mean adapter for the radio though?

My Ride

Yeah mine doesn't have a lot to start with (it's an 09) but it does have the steering wheel controls and rear parking sensors that beep and I've heard keeping those can be a bit of a pain. I'll have to look into a canbus adapter for that.

I'm less worried about the bezel though since my factory radio unit is mostly rectangular and once I see how it fits I'll just 3D print something to cover up the space. I'm expecting it to be something roughly like below although I'll look into AliExpress bezels just in case.

Name:  image_2023-03-28_092837573.png
Views: 435
Size:  472.8 KB

What do you mean adapter for the radio though?

So looks like you got a Volvo X90 based on reverse image search. Seems like for your specific car they sell a special unit for the top of the dash. There is a video on YouTube of a guy installing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeVNg1JA6E8

You can buy just that top piece from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=PsDPBmByXe64

Or you can buy an entire unit with screen already if you don't want to use the Atoto.

All these chinese units seem to have the same "frame", it's thicker on top and slimmer on bottom. Most of the adapters and dash kits I have seen use this format. Atoto is a more rectangular frame, and doesn't natively work with these units, and needs an adapter. The adapter allows you to mount the Atoto to it, and that adapter can then be attached to the dash kit like the for my wife's car or you car linked above.

Hope that makes sense. I will show a picture once I have it installed, perhaps this weekend. For you car with the separate screen on top, I don't know how that works with factory radio still there....so perhaps ripping factory unit out and doing your own 3D printing would work better. Not sure, just wanted to make you aware that other things exist.

There seems to be a more native adapter out there as well, saw some pictures, but not sure where to look for one like this. If you got this, an adapter would be required to adapt Atoto to it.

Alternatively you just get a normal double din dash kit and let the unit's cage stick out about 1 inch. Could 3D print something to cover up the exposed cage. Something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...ct.mainProduct
    Last edited by eblend; 03-28-2023 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I'm going to put one of these in the suzuki and put a cam on the front for a trail cam.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

So eblend, was that what you meant by adapter for the radio? I thought you meant something else. But in reality, the look is the least of my worries. This is my beater car, but I'm pretty sure I can figure something out to make it look relatively finished. The main concern is just being able to properly install the damn thing!

I alreayd saw that video on the top-mount, I'm not a big fan of that. If the factory unit won't be used, might as well rip it out. But that one, and a couple others look to be good references for a lot of the same steps involved other than the mounting position.

My Ride

Yah, was just looking at options. After how much I was disappointed with the standard double din mount for my car, I started looking around and found a whole world of custom dashes that I didn't know existed and wanted to share.

I snapped some pictures of the adapter for future reference for anyone who may ever come across this thread. This will basically adapt the standard tapered screen mount to an Atoto screen. The screen gets secured to the black plastic piece, bypassing the need for the cage that comes with the unit. The black piece then secures into the dash and it's all set. You can trim the little adapter feet to length so that it's recessed more in the dash kit.

My Ride

Got wife's car all setup and resolved a few lingering issues.

1. Rear speaker. Removed the door panel. The speaker was not connected. Must have been a problem ever since the car was in an accident, just never realized. Reconnected the wire and it's good to go.
    2. Dimmin wire. Stupid Vibe, a Toyota crossover, had the illumination pin just below where it was actually supposed to be. After some googling I was able to identify the required pin and moved it to the proper slot. Now the bottom buttons light up when exterior lights turn on, and the screen auto dims.

Here is the end result of the install. Looks relatively clean compared to what it was before (visible cage sticking out 1 inch past the dash). I wish I grabbed a before pic but I didn't, so you will have to imagine.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Nice, screen looks good. How much time do you think you spent overall, including running the camera? I'm trying to reserve a whole weekend for mine but I'm guessing there will be little things going for awhile after the major stuff is done.

My Ride

Nice, screen looks good. How much time do you think you spent overall, including running the camera? I'm trying to reserve a whole weekend for mine but I'm guessing there will be little things going for awhile after the major stuff is done.
    I would say a whole weekend would be enough for a beginner. I had to redo a few things, but I have done this type of stuff before. If I had everything I needed I would have done everything in a day most likely, but the stupid wires being in wrong places for this car are the things that slowed me down the most. Also I am a perfectionist so I hid my wires good, organized them ect. GPS antenna for example is dead center of the dash and no visible wires, that took forever to fish through.

If you have a wiring harness already, I would do that in the comfort of your own home in the evening, so you don't have to waste half a day getting it done on the weekend.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Are there installers in town that will install a deck they don't normally sell?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Good question msommers, I may need one!

Bought a harness, thought I had things figured out but there’s no sound, there’s an airbag error (which seems to happen on these Volvos when the canbus isn’t connected right) and the thing doesn’t turn off when the ignition is off.

I may have gotten in over my head.

Name:  2E3D83FD-297D-4387-9D76-C88CB751BFCF.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  292.9 KB

Oh and that's not even trying to get the rear parking sensor working, backup camera connected, or steering wheel controls.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Got wife's car all setup and resolved a few lingering issues.

1. Rear speaker. Removed the door panel. The speaker was not connected. Must have been a problem ever since the car was in an accident, just never realized. Reconnected the wire and it's good to go.
    2. Dimmin wire. Stupid Vibe, a Toyota crossover, had the illumination pin just below where it was actually supposed to be. After some googling I was able to identify the required pin and moved it to the proper slot. Now the bottom buttons light up when exterior lights turn on, and the screen auto dims.

Here is the end result of the install. Looks relatively clean compared to what it was before (visible cage sticking out 1 inch past the dash). I wish I grabbed a before pic but I didn't, so you will have to imagine.

@eblend review a couple months in? Would ya do it again?
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    @eblend review a couple months in? Would ya do it again?
    I would, especially with the custom dash kit, as it really ties it all together.

The unit itself is not the fastest thing in the world, but all we use it for is android auto, normal radio, and backup camera, it works very well for these features, so no regrets for us. The backup camera is very clear, android auto works perfectly fine (we use wired mostly), and radio, well it works like radio would. With all connections correct it dims at night when lights turn on, I set it to lower volume when backing up to reduce distraction, ad android auto starts the moment the cable is plugged in. We did wireless for a while but sometimes I drive wife's car as mine is a mess with tools ect from house build, so it's easier to just plug in my phone than mess with Bluetooth on multiple devices. Overall if you limit your use and don't expect it to be as fast as your modern smartphone... It's a perfectly usable solution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast