Quantcast
What could cause and exhaust valve not to close completly? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What could cause and exhaust valve not to close completly?

My Ride
    2012 Chrysler 300C

Question What could cause and exhaust valve not to close completly?

I've got a PT Cruiser here that is not running well. Compression on cylinder 4 is poor and doing a wet test doesn't improve things (under 10 PSI dry, and just over 10 PSI wet). I'm suspecting that the exhaust valve is not closing.

Without removing the head, what can I check, and more importantly, what could I fix?

If/When I remove the head, is there anything cheap or free that I should be doing besides diagnosing and fixing cylinder 4?

What I'm guessing could be the issue...
    - Weak spring not pulling the valve closed (Is there a way to check this without pulling the head?)
    - Bent valve jamming before being fully closed (How would that happen?)
    - Dirty valve that is being held open by crud where it seals.
    - Bad spacing between the cam and valve keeping the valve open (Is this even a thing?)
    - VERY bad ring(s) that a wet test doesn't even seal up (This would cause pressure out the oil dipstick tube and filler cap?)
    - Head gasket leak (This would cause pressure/bubbles in coolant?)
    - Cracked block??? (This would cause pressure/bubbles in coolant and/or blow out the oil dipstick tube and filler cap?)

Never dealt with something this deep or critical, so I'm looking for all the input I can get.

My Ride
    *The First*

Weak spring seems very unlikely.
    I'd bet on a bent valve or a valve seat that's completely ruined.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

They are known to have head gasket issues. My guess is that there is a leak, and/or the head is warped.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Just seafoam it, problem solved.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Crack and egg into the intake then sprinkle some pepper after it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Smoke test. Will require pulling the valve cover and intake manifold and doing a cheap and dirty smoke test involves putting cylinder no. 4 at TDC with both valves closed. Pull the spark plugs from all cylinders then take a length of hose that you can stick down the no 4 spark plug hole and light up a big smokey cigar. Puff smoke down the hose if any smoke comes out anywhere except back out the number 4 it's a valve or head gasket.
    Last edited by ianmcc; 03-07-2023 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Sub 1 for 4 cuz I can't read

My Ride
    Goes Vrr and PShh.

You need to borrow or buy a leak down tester, bring cylinder four up to TDC and listen to where the air is leaking. Listen in the exhaust pipe of the car to see if you can hear air coming out of the cylinder. If the intake and exhaust are quiet pull off the valve cover oil filer cap and listen for blow by.

My Ride
    2012 Chrysler 300C

Thanks for all the help folks!

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Its probably best to not make new threads for each thing. You created a thread previously which could have been used.

My Ride
    E46

Make a leak down tester out of your compression tester. Take a tire valve core tool and remove the Schrader valve out of the end of the compression tester lead, connect the gauge side to the quick connect on your compressor hose.
    This style of tester will connect to "B" type compressor fittings
    https://shop.snapon.com/product/Comp...st-Set/EEPV500

If you have a tester that has a threaded on gauge. Take off the gauge use an adapter and thread on a male compressor fitting and connect it to your air compressor. You don't need to know how much air is leaking out, you just need to know where it's going.

You can also remove the intake and exhaust manifolds, turn the engine until the valves are closed. Fill up the ports with brake clean. If a valve is not sealing the brake clean will leak out of that port and into the combustion chamber.

If you think a valve is bent. Remove the camshafts and place a straight edge across the valve tips. If a valve is bent, that tip will be lower than all of the others. If a valve or seat is worn, the tip will be higher than the others.

Weak valve springs will case the valves to not full seat. The exhaust valves will over heat and burn because they cannot conduct heat into the cylinder head properly.
    Last edited by Flexray; 03-08-2023 at 12:19 AM.