Quantcast
Silicon Valley Bank Collapse - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Silicon Valley Bank Collapse

Default SVB bank run, now dead.

Well that was fast.

My Ride
    Trucks

Mods, please move this thread to the Ask Zenops forum.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Never heard of him
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Silicon Valley Bank Collapse

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

The tech industry as a whole is due for a good crash I reckon, it's too bloated with non innovators currently.

"At the time of its failure, Silicon Valley Bank, which is based in Santa Clara, Calif., had $209 billion US in total assets, the FDIC said."

Phew, I wonder how much if all of the money will be printed to cover the FDIC insurance. I feel sorry for the millionaires with more than $250,000 deposited.

USD is only USD if the bank you use has it. Time to stock up on CS:GO cases instead, haha.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Inevitable. On a side note: Ontario has brought back "shop" as a course requirement for high schoolers because tech is done and baked because of AI.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So, can someone eli5 or lulwut or coles 9r something?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Reddit had a good explanation. 2 part from Thursday before, and Friday.

Answer: at an ELI5 level, Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) is a bank that focuses on providing services to startups and entrepreneurs. Many companies use it to hold funds that they receive from venture capitalists.

In 2021, the market was soaring and startups were getting tons of money. They put this money in SVB, which went from holding $61.76n at the end of 2019 to $189.20bn at the end of 2021.

Banks normally make money by loaning out a portion of the money they hold, but SVB was getting so much money that they couldn't loan out fast enough. So instead, they bought a bunch of long term investments, the majority of which will mature in 10+ years. If the bank held these investments to maturity and they would be guaranteed a profit, but if they sold early they would have to sell at market value.

This would be okay except that when the fed started raising interest rates last year, the market value of these long term assets fell hard. Simultaneously, tech and startups also started to struggle with the rate hikes (see: all the big layoffs) and withdraw from their accounts more quickly. SVB was concerned they would be forced to sell their long term assets early in order to support these withdrawals which would mean taking a huge loss.

Yesterday SVB announced a fire sale: they sold pretty much everything they could sell in order to raise cash, protect and balance out all those long term assets, and improve financial health metrics. They sold over 21 billion worth of investments and are trying to raise 3 billion more.

Investors and Venture Capitalists were shocked and concerned about why they had to do this and why they had to do it now. Some VCs told their startups to pull their money out of SVB or to keep no more than 250k in the bank (which is how much is insured by the FDIC).

This has raised concerns of starting a run on the bank. SVB is theoretically fine right now, but if all of these startups try to pull their money out they won't be.

Edit to update with what happened this morning:

SVB is clearly not fine anymore; in fact, regulators ordered them to close this morning. It appears the bank run was very, very fast and overwhelmed them quickly. Shareholders will get nothing.

Its size makes it the second largest bank to ever fail, the first being Washington Mutual which collapsed in 2008.

Deposits insured by the FDIC will get their money back Monday morning, but as of their last filing 93% of the bank's $161 billion deposits were uninsured. However, based on SVB's liquidation plan, it is likely that all deposits will be returned eventually (probably next week).

Companies who banked with SVB are struggling to pay their employees today. Notably, Rippling (a company that manages payroll and HR services for other companies) has said that their payments flow through SVB, so any company that uses Rippling will probably have a delay in payment.

Are any other banks at risk? It's hard to say. The crux of the issue is that SVB sold their "available for sale" (AFS) portfolio to provide enough buffer to avoid selling their long term investments. Their long term portfolio, called "hold to maturity" (HTM), had big unrealized losses and they really, really did not want to realize them. They aren't the only ones; in total, as of the end of 2022, banks were holding about $620b of unrealized losses in their AFS and HTM ports.

Most larger banks have relatively smaller amounts of unrealized losses, but smaller regional banks may be at risk which is why $KRE (an ETF of regional banks) has dropped so much.
    There were reports of withdrawals on Friday exceeding $60b.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

These """long term investments""" mentioned were mortgage backed securities lol

Edit:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesea...h=5ab825d15603
    Last edited by Sentry; 03-11-2023 at 09:10 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Did they have many consumer accounts or mostly business?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Gotta be pretty dumb to buy 10 year bonds at record low rates. Really can’t understand who thought that was a good idea.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Gotta be pretty dumb to buy 10 year bonds at record low rates. Really can’t understand who thought that was a good idea.
    Bonds are a market, so the reason the rates were low is because people/institutions were buying them.

Germans buy bonds at negative rates all the time. It is exactly this fear that in an emergency (or war) funds from regular banks will simply not exist to withdraw.

In Britain, you could have had all the money in the world - but if you forgot your ration card, no bacon for you.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Monday will be a bloodbath. Twitter should be fun.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

2% > 0%

And because a lot of people thought inflation was never going to happen ever again.

Over 93% uninsured deposits. Which normally would not be possible, but Covid rules.

If its roughly $200 Billion affected, they might have just vaporized $185 Billion.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Don’t worry. Elon to save the day

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...0%2Fframe.html
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    2% > 0%

And because a lot of people thought inflation was never going to happen ever again.
    The bank primarily deals with Silicon Valley businesses depositing their investment capital. Why the fuck would they lock that in a 10 year bond is the issue. I’m not saying don’t use the money, I’m saying don’t lock it up for a decade.

The bank primarily deals with Silicon Valley businesses depositing their investment capital. Why the fuck would they lock that in a 10 year bond is the issue. I’m not saying don’t use the money, I’m saying don’t lock it up for a decade.
    I said, a lot of people thought inflation was never going to happen ever again.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast