Quantcast
Work van/cube truck buying guide - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Work van/cube truck buying guide

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default Work van/cube truck buying guide

Looking to add a company vehicle, I know nothing about this segment.

Needs: be able to fully stand up in the storage area. Reliable. Easy to drive/user friendly as a variety of people will operate (auto trans). Ideally under $30k.

Wants: 4x4 would be nice but not a deal breaker. Payload of 4-5k lbs would be nice. A reliable fuel efficient diesel would be nice but maybe hard to find in this price range?

So far I've been doing some light browsing, most of these on the used market are, not surprisingly, miled out. But more expensive than I was expecting. So far I've looked at the typical GMC Savanna cube truck, most are 16ft boxes which is bigger than what I need. I've also seen a couple Ram Promaster's which look interesting but I know nothing about them. Can beyond provide some insight on these vehicles?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@vengie has some experience here. Transit is the right answer, but everything is hard to find. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Unfortunately good luck with that budget.
    The camper van craze has chewed up any decent inventory and heavily inflated prices.

My Ride
    *The First*

Back when I was a delivery guy, the Ford Cube Van was an impressive machine. Do they still make those?
    We negligently abused the living shit out of that thing and it took it. I think it had a 12' box and we would put a pair of 1,000kg pallets in it frequently and every once in awhile, 3,000kg. They would tell me "take the long way" which meant "don't drive passed the scales" and the front end was so lifted it felt like it was going to come up.
    I remember another time I had to go air up the duallies because the bulges were touching between them.
    Fuckin nuts.

Anyway, it had enough power and enough brakes for anything we threw at it (while driving reasonably) and it never once had a maintenance issue. The only thing that caused a mechanical problem with it was water in the diesel, one time. It hated that and was out of commission for about a week.
    LoL that it was the actual, pro trucker who was driving it that day and I was swamping. Warning light comes on and I'm like "I'm pretty sure that 'water in fuel' light is serious".

"Nah" and he continues up the Malahat mountain. He was wrong.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Sprinter 2500/3500. Sure you can find used ones in your price range. Might be Dodge ones in your price range and not the Mercedes ones
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Transit bests sprinter unless Jr ghey. Oen8s
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Unfortunately good luck with that budget.
    The camper van craze has chewed up any decent inventory and heavily inflated prices.
    Yup #vanlife drove prices through the roof with all the wanna be fly by night camper conversions.

Sprinters are the most expensive but nicest and can be rwd or 4x4, transits are nice and can be the tallest but they have 3 height options so harder to find what you want and they can be 4x4, Promaster are fwd

If it’s just for a work van though I’d say look for a E350/450 cube truck instead or similar. Maybe a Chevy express. Much cheaper than the cargo van market.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

We had promasters at a previous job and they were the biggest piles of shit on the planet. Of our fleet aobut 40% of them had catastrophic issues within the first month.. after that there was always two in the shop.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Sprinter is the answer , my company has sprinters, pro master and transits. Sprinters are the work horse of our fleet.

We have a sprinter 3500 diesel that we are going to replace when we can get a new one. That would be in your budget … PM me

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Damn the front end on those Promaster Rams is fugly as shit. When MB Sprinter split off from Dodge, whoever designed that front end must of been high as shit
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't think "van life" has had nearly the impact on the market that all the online next day delivery stuff has. Not just Amazon, either, chefs plate etc, and all that has likely soaked up way more than some Instagram chick with fake glasses.

That and I'm sure manufacturers prioritized luxury SUV's as much as possible during the chip shortages and covid shutdowns etc.

My Ride
    4x4

Head up to driving force and test them all

I rented the off lease Telus(?) Trucks With the superkap fiberglass service cap a time or 3 when the dodge was forever broken. Still my favorite.

Bonus if something happens to the truck you unbolt and slide into a new truck, don't even have to unload.

In the market for a few used trucks. Prefer F150's (3.5L/V6) crew cabs with somewhere up to 75K or so on the odometer. Minor body damage is fine.
    Other than Driving Force and random dealerships are there any other places anyone can suggest to check with? Vehicles will be needed in the Edmonton area.
    Last edited by MOB68; 09-26-2023 at 12:20 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Might be just as cheap to buy new. Could always call a place like AvisBudget and as for thier uses vehicle manager, but they aren't selling for deals, nobody is. Used trucks are wild man.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Serious, if you could take supercabs, I'll bet you can get new for the price of a used crew cab. Good time of year, there's some incentives on leftover 2023 models. Call the bigger dealer groups and talk to the fleet sales manager.

Thanks! Will definitely look into it.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Sprinter 2500/3500. Sure you can find used ones in your price range. Might be Dodge ones in your price range and not the Mercedes ones
    Anyone’s 2500 don’t have the payload he is looking for …

I am selling one of my companies sprinter 3500, if anyone is interested.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post

@vengie is getting an erection after reading your post.

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post

4x4??

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

We have MB Sprinters, Dodge Sprinters (gas and diesel), and Transits at work; all 2500. The hierarchy goes Benz>Transit>Dodge.

Biggest complaint on the Transit is the AC and the heat, both are terrible. Turning radius on the Transit is unusually terrible, and the loaded ride is bleh. Everyone complains even though they are the newest on our fleet.

Biggest complaint on the Benz is the very turbo dependent engine. It wont move at all till the turbo spools; gets worse in hot weather. There is one 3500 Benz duallie that is apparently has a v8 in it? I haven't driven that one specifially but it is apparently a gem.

The Dodge Sprinter is straight hot garbage. Everyone hates em
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast